Flea market find- early 50s tele?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Charlodius, Apr 8, 2019.

1. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I look forward to Dan's article about this restoration in Vintage Guitar magazine!

2. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Your darkened telecaster reminds me of a fellow in a band who opened for our band a few years ago. His 50s-something telecaster had its fretboard hand painted black, and the dots painted white. Looked CRAZY. Sounded amazing too.

3. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

I'd love to know its story. I'd bet the past owner was pretty cool. Of course, that would probably bring out someone with a claim to what they threw out as grandpa's crap.

Can I borrow your penny and go look in some barns? I'm looking for a Porsche 356 under a dusty tarp.

4. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Did it come with a case?

5. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

extremely smart of you to contact Dan & Im glad he is interested , lets hope this turns out to be the grail, Man I cant tell how excited we are for you ! Its nice to see some thing positive happen here , keep us posted!

6. bladeswitcher

bladeswitcher TDPRI Member

Imagine how many people passed on it before the OP bought it. If you had seen it sitting there, would you have bought it?

7. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

No it was leaning against a folding table, the lower end on the ground. The guy threw in s stand but it was missing a piece.

John Nicholas likes this.
  8. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I hear you. It’s living at a family member’s house in a room that was built as a wine cellar ( but isn’t being used that way). Security system and big dogs. Someone might steal it but would probably leave a hand behind. My tweed Deluxe clone will move there.

skunqesh, SecretSquirrel and marc2211 like this.
  9. Erebus

Erebus Tele-Meister

What a find! Were slotted head screws that common on that serial range? On my blackguard build I’m using a mix of both, but assumed that would make it more like a ‘51. Also nice to see that low e ferrule not line up perfectly. That’s exactly what happened on my build!

Charlodius likes this.
  10. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

I can't wait to hear how everything turns out. Hope you find out that is a genuine old Tele. Thanks for sharing.

El Tele Lobo and Charlodius like this.
  11. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

[QUOTE = "knopflerfan, post: 9027294, membro: 82967"] Non vedo l'ora di sapere come va a finire tutto. Spero che tu scopra che è un vero vecchio Tele. Grazie per aver condiviso. [/ QUOTE]
    Regarding this I think there is not any doubt...she really is an old Tele!

El Tele Lobo and Charlodius like this.
  12. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

It was all flathead screws until '54. When they brought the Strat out, they switched over to Phillips head screws for both guitars.

Erebus likes this.
  13. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

just a point to consider.........

In the 50's how many law suit tele manufacturers were around any ways?...........any one?
    and of those manufacturers how many used real fender parts.............?
    and of those manufacturers how many took the time to copy Fenders designs down to the dated pots, 3 way knife switching, fender style tone caps ( but fender used what ever he had avail.) and cloth covered wire, let alone the truss rod adjustment!

Fiesta Red and Charlodius like this.
  14. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I keep coming back to this thread just because it makes me feel good.

2blue2, since71, richiek65 and 12 others like this.
  15. screefer

screefer Tele-Meister

My two cents sez you are doing the right thing. You have made your new "rescue" guitar and the crew here very happy!

El Tele Lobo, 24 track and Charlodius like this.
  16. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

With all due respect, and as cool and wonderful as this guitar is, I'm glad my Roadworn Tele doesn't look this way.

tymj2112, nick.s and 24 track like this.
  17. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I think you scored a lagit tele there Man, I tend to agree that this is a first run tele.

outbreak likes this.
  18. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Congrats....and Dan Erlewine would be a great person to give you guidance on what to do.

24 track likes this.
  19. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted

As I recall, phillips screws were introduced in '53...but simply implemented as the stocks of slot-heads were used up (Leo wasn't throwing anything out). Some guitars of this period show a mix...which is one of the clues to this guitar's actual build date. I wanted my Esquire build to look like it was pre-53 so I put slot-heads in all positions.

I like that the OP is leaning towards Dan Erlwine. I would have great difficulty not stripping it all back and returning the body finish to "as new"...as the current finish looks terrible to me. I'd probably get rid of that nasty home-made ashtray cover too. It is a tough decision, I would want to keep all the original hardware, etc...but what then to do with the finish?

Crashbelt likes this.
  20. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

You are likely a bigger expert than I am, but I’ve heard several people say there was a mix of flat and Phillips in late 52/53 ad they were transitioning. Leo wasted nothing. I’ve been told the 12 fret dot spacing is ‘52 and the blend circuit went away in 53.

Robert H. likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.