Flea market find- early 50s tele?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Charlodius, Apr 8, 2019.

1. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

The thrill of the hunt, you have lived the dream. Damn, congrats!!

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  2. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

In my experience all vintage tele's that were turned into these colorfull guitars in the past are ultimately returned to their original specs, including paint and everything. No (new) owner can resist doing that to such a guitar after a while. Sometimes a pity..

3. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

That includes me BTW ;-)

Matthias likes this.
  4. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

The guy referenced it coming ‘from the store’ which I assumed was a thrift store. It was leaning against a card table precariously, the bottom end in the dirt. I do feel a twinge if guilt, but it’s the kind of flea market where the dumpsters are overflowing at sundown, people disposing of things they don’t want to haul home. This might not have ended up there, but would be heresy if it did!

5. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

May I be the 127th person to say well done...what a great find.

Charlodius likes this.
  6. fortj3

fortj3 Tele-Meister

I would gently clean it with dry microfiber cloths and replace the strings.
    Then, i'd send pics of it to all the guitar companies who sell "reliced" guitars and let them know that THIS is how an old, road worn guitar should look.

Bandboy and Charlodius like this.
  7. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

Thank you for your insight- this is really fascinating and overwhelming. I’m having a hard time concentrating at work! I emailed Dan Erlewine with a couple pick and he said it was killer, said he’d like to work on it and maybe write a column in Vintage Guitar Magazine about it. I know he is an expert on all things guitar. Is there anyone else you recommend I talk to? Some folks recommended Carson Hess, another recommended Joe Riggio. Thoughts? The bridge pickup is not passing a signal so I want that addressed- hopefully without a rewind. Who are the people that can wisely advise what I should or should not do with this? Who has the forensic skill and background knowledge to school me on this thing’s past? I spoke with Joe Riggio and he was super nice, not pushy, very knowledgeable, and was convinced it’s a 52. He’d like to rehab it and his work looks beautiful. A guy from Italy who goes by ReCaster is also very well informed and recommended the appropriate replacement parts (vintage and repro) for it. I am not yet convinced I should do any refin work.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Piotr, BrandonIke, MuddyDitch and 5 others like this.
  8. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I'm posting again because this is the greatest Tele story I've ever heard. I can't wait to hear more! Someone mentioned that it's like folk art from the 50's. So true! I love it.

dannyh, igor5, Piotr and 2 others like this.
  9. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

The likes of this guitar and how it was found will probably never happen again it would be great to watch Dan Erlewine restore this on stewmac youtube channel
    at no expense to its new owner they can plug whatever tools etc ...everyone is a winner

Foxguy, skisquash, Piotr and 7 others like this.
  10. MrYeats

MrYeats Tele-Meister

Let me see, I am 64 now. That tele is maybe a little older...
    I don't want anyone to try to make me look new again, I have earned every scar and wrinkle.
    Do the same for the old warhorse.
    Like the docs do me, do her. Get me back in working shape but don't mess with making it pretty.

skunqesh and jvin248 like this.
  11. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I really like the existing refinish (if that's what it is), and aside from a different pickguard would keep it that way IF I planned to keep and play it. Owning a guitar that valuable would drive me crazy with constant worry about theft, etc., so I see selling as the best option... and not a bad option! Good luck, thanks for sharing the story and please keep us posted.

12. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I sent a few pic to dan, he said it’s killer and he’d like to restore it. I tried to send him my google drive link with more pics yesterday but think I screwed that up so I resent it today.

igor5 and 24 track like this.
  13. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

If anyone here is a member of the FB group “The original vintage Japanese guitar fanclub’ you can read the string. It’s pretty funny- like I was live blogging this as I discovered it, as I was taking these pics.

14. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Personally, I would highly suggest you have Dan Erlewine make suggestions about what to do and what not to do to your guitar. He works on and has worked on guitars from many well known guitarists and his skills are top notch.

If it were mine, I would ask for as much information from experts on what would be best for the guitar as far as value and then on what would be best in terms of getting it into good playing condition.

Honestly, some of the suggestions I've read on here seem a little strange, but everyone's got an opinion. (including me!)) :confused::confused:

24 track likes this.
  15. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would bust out the wet paper and micromesh and remove that non original finish leaving behind what you can of the original finish that's hopefully hiding beneath it.

16. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I would take it to a car wash& power spray that finish off there. Use the soapy lathered brush first. I think it's only a couple bucks more. Let it soak for a few.

Dan Erliwine expressed interest. Start there. He'll know how to move forward with authenticating & restoring if that's what you want (as much as I dig that grimey finish I think a proper finish would be better. It wouldn't devalue it any more, if its authentic). Plus we'd get to watch.

His SM vids are amazing. Replacing the chunk of wood on the '53 tele and the Bloomfield refret are a must see.

17. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

It's a great find no matter what. However, after looking at it more and more, it's starting to look more legit to me. What I am seeing is an early black guard tele with a home made refinish job. The body appears to be ash and it was perhaps somebody's version of a sunburst finish. The pickguard could have been a home made replacement if the original crumbled like some did. The bridge cover looks like they may have lost the original and they just made their own to fit. The electronics are definitely old school. I don't think it was that easy to get Fender replacement parts back then like you can now. Fender controlled that very carefully up through the 1970's so it would make sense to me that someone would substitute the own versions to keep that guitar playing. Who knows? Very interesting!

spook69 likes this.
  18. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

As bad as I’d want it just believe I’d had to tell the person what they possibly had

19. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

I'd stick with Dan Erlewine.

20. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

I like the idea of sending it to Dan. He can do an article on it, and give you some really sound suggestions.

You are a lucky guy, good for you!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.