Flea market find- early 50s tele?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Charlodius, Apr 8, 2019.

1. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

According to that site I posted, tuners are 52-56.

There is some relevance as to dating for that neck pickup wire rout, I can't find it on that site (but maybe it is there).

There is a picture gallery though.
    http://www.guitarhq.com/gallery.html#fend

There are many pages on that site, not all organized that well.

2. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Amazing!! Well done, that's the real thing. I always dreamed to find this in yard sales or flee markets, but Fender guitars weren't imported on this side of the Atlantic before the 60's, so there's even less chances… I once catched a 51 hidden under lots of mods, with no original electronics that had escaped from a big west coast vintage shop's survey, but that kind of luck is very rare and takes years of daily surveyance… Congratulations!!

2 Headed Goat and t guitar floyd like this.
  3. blackbelt308

blackbelt308 Tele-Holic

> Now that I believe it is what it is, I’m scared to remove so much as a tuner screw to get
    > a look at the underside. I just need to wrap my head around it, but there is absolutely no
    > way I would personally do any work in it myself!

Smart man!

Looks like someone back in the day wanted a burst finish on their Tele... Very cool!

t guitar floyd likes this.
  4. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

I know that you are probably overwhelmed by this amazing find. Just breathe, take it easy and think through your next steps.

While I am not even close to being an expert, just by the photos you have shared, this appears to be a vintage Telecaster.

Restoring this guitar should not be something you tackle. Best left to an expert.

I agree with the others that Dan Erlewine is a great option. I would also suggest Eric Daw. Eric has a podcast called the Fret Files, has worked on, restored, and re-finished vintage guitars. Working at Emerald City guitars in Seattle for about 20 years.

Just recently Eric has been restoring a Telecaster that was found in a barn and painted with house paint!! He has been detailing the restoration on Instagram and talked about it on his podcast. I have conversed with him and he is a straight up honest guy.

Congratulations on your new vintage guitar!

KenRothman, Charlodius and Flakey like this.
  5. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Stories like this give us all hope. Thanks for sharing! These Maryland flea markets don’t measure up to what you’re working with over there.

theprofessor, Charlodius and Alex W like this.
  6. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

What you are saying does apply to Strats, but not Teles. Stratocasters had the wider spacing in the '50s (directly under the A and B strings). Teles had the narrower dot spacing during that time. This one looks good/right.

Scott

7. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I emailed Dan Erlewine. I hope he is interested in offering his opinion, maybe looking at more pics ( I only attached 3-4 due to file size).

8. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Clive Brown in England is considered one of the best for vintage restorations. That would be my choice if I had to have it refinished.

Telekaster likes this.
  9. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Be especially reluctant to have the bridge pickup rewound. It may well be repairable without rewinding and it would be worth more to me in broken but untouched original condition than in rewound condition.

There is also a good chance that the original neck finish is still present under the SB lacquer. With very careful removal of the SB neck finish a good restorer may be able to save the original neck finish.

10. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Saving the whatever is left of the headstock decal - if any is still present under that refin - would be my top priority I think.

skunqesh and Alex W like this.
  11. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Just keep track of the screws. :D

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  12. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

20 bucks? Holy crap.

You need to send it to a respected restorer like Gordon Miller, not simply have it refinished and restored piecemeal by MJT and the usual suspects.

Period correct bridge cover will be worth the investment. Not sure a period correct poodle hard case will be, but if you can find one without spending a fortune, then I would spend the money.

Alex W likes this.
  13. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

If I were the lucky finder and owner, I repeat I would NOT do any refin, any restoration... there is no reason to think that it wasn't born that way...
    Just try to understand what happens with bridge pickup (with a ohm-meter, maybe would not a coil interruption, but only a wiring problem...).

14. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

I assure you, that is not the case.

15. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Wow! Congrats on a great find. It's great that that neglected guitar ended up in the hands of someone who will bring it back to life.

Charlodius likes this.
  16. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

Ok, I believe in you! This forum is really useful to learn! :) Thank you!

E5RSY likes this.
  17. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

WOW! What a great thread! Congrats, Charlodius on finding that legendary pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. When I worked in guitar shops in the 70s and 80s, we used to find nuggets like this at flea markets and pawn shops on a regular basis. A lot of folks say they don't exist anymore in this day and age, but it's great to see there are still some out there! Again, congratulations and welcome to the forum!:cool:

John Nicholas and Charlodius like this.
  18. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

awestruck-b.gif

AlbertaGriff, SuprHtr, Alex W and 3 others like this.
  19. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

20. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Meister

What makes this especially cool to me is the fact that all the things that were done to it appear to have been done a long time ago. It's almost like folk art.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.