Flea market find- early 50s tele?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Charlodius, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

I'm betting that the "autograph" is just something that transferred from a piece of paper with Magic Marker on it. No one ever gave a thought to the archival qualities of those markers, and they bleed like crazy. Sharpies still do.

Charlodius likes this.
  2. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Holic

I agree. The chances of my finding this thing were infinitesimally small. The chance of there being a noteworthy signature is near nil. But even if it was a local act from the 50s or 60s, I’d love to know. It’s crazy-making .

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  3. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Tele-Meister

Sooooo... whatever happened to this? :)

4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes...I'm curious too.

Charlodius likes this.
  5. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Holic

WOW!!! Good for you!!!!!

Charlodius likes this.
  6. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's

On hold for COVID?

Charlodius likes this.
  7. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Holic

I’m still here! I had planned a trip to Nashville so I could take it to Carter’s and Gruhn, but the pandemic put that on hold. I’ve been playing the neck pickup and it’s glorious, but the bridge pickup has not been sorted out yet. The last big development was scoring this pickguard at Lark Street. Buzzy Levine gave me quite a deal on it, I think. Folks on here can chime in on it’s authenticity. He told me it came from a bunch of things acquired from Cesar Diaz in the 80s. I have nice slotted repro pickguard screws but I’ve held off on actually mounting it until after Nashville. The screw holes for the original pickguard have some of the refinish in them. I have a vintage switchtip but the one that’s in there seems like it’s melted to the switch and I don’t want to struggle to remove it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  8. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

Wow! Kudos to you for going about all this in the right way (at least as it seems to me). What a cool story! And just think where that guitar would have ended up if you hadn’t grabbed it!

KevinL818 and Charlodius like this.
  9. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

The new pickguard looks great, but I do kind of miss the rectangular bridge cover it came with.

Charlodius likes this.
  10. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Holic

I’m reasonably sure the pots are dated mid august 1952. Not 100%, because there is flux covering the codes.
    Buzzy said he thought the body was a single piece of ash. He weighed it and it was 7 lb on his digital scale. The switch looks to be original but I can not see any patent numbers on either side. The router marks inside the bridge pickup cavity, as well as the shape of the control cavity, suggest later half of 1952, but the ferrules are drilled a little uneven. A couple questions are crazy making- what are the neck/body dates, and who’s faded signature is below the bridge?

Attached Files:

Antoon, Rykus, Doorlord and 4 others like this.
  11. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Looking great!

Btw, the white cone shaped switch tip looks like it might be held on with a drop of epoxy. I imagine with some care you could file it off or something...

Charlodius likes this.
  12. Bri-Sonic

Bri-Sonic Tele-Meister

Good to revisit this, there most fascinating thread I've seen on tdpri. Amazing how just putting on a suitable scratch plate has elevated this from a historical curiosity to a gorgeous vintage instrument with mojo in spades. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is massively jealous!

Charlodius, whoanelly15 and Piotr like this.
  13. Crozius

Crozius TDPRI Member

One of the most interesting surprise finds I’ve ever seen. Great thread.

you also have way more self control than me, no way I could have left it as I found it for nearly two years, I would have mounted the pickguard and just replaced the bridge pickup, with a view to having someone trustworthy take a look and hopefully repair sometime down the line.

Charlodius likes this.
  14. Rykus

Rykus TDPRI Member

Yeah brother what an inspirational story!

Really glad to see you didnt flip it immediately like 99% of folk probably would have done and are taking such a high level of precaution to preserve such a rare find!

Hopefully you play here in good health!

Ps I would contact Don Mare about that bridge pickup... he could sort you out with a worthy replacement and get that one figured out for you if it can be saved or rewind it.

I kinda like the finish. Would have too fix the peg head and get a proper decal and nitro finish, but it looks pretty damn sweet with that proper pickgaurd!

Charlodius, Hammerhead and Piotr like this.
  15. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Holic

I posted this find to a Facebook group named something like ‘barn find guitars’. The moderators called me a liar, deleted the thread, and kicked me from the group. It made me thankful for how friendly and supportive the folks on this forum are.

Flyboy, saxosim, Robmac and 12 others like this.
  16. ritchwell

ritchwell TDPRI Member

wow this is giving me goose bumps maybe it is maybe made to deceive but such items deserve all the respect in new zealand we have a word for ageless tresures taonga

Charlodius and whoanelly15 like this.
  17. capitalbear

capitalbear Tele-Meister

At least this group is more credulous, maybe even naive sometimes. Some stories left me skeptical, as when people drooled over a guitar allegedly given by a grandma. One single post and never again any comment from the OP... You always have to look twice. Facebook is a world of its own.

18. Robmac

Robmac Tele-Meister

Have to say thank you to Charlodius for such a very interesting thread.
    I am new as a member here, but have been following tdpri for a long time, for knowledge and advice/information, and...moments like this, when someone comes across something as cool as this.
    Really happy for you, regardless of the outcome. Congrats and enjoy!

OmegaWoods, Charlodius and screefer like this.
  19. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

You may also try to hold a soldering iron to the metal lever for a few seconds. You may be able to pull the tip off when it is hot.

Charlodius and fernieite like this.
  20. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Just read the entire thread.....wow!! Thank you @Charlodius for sharing this amazing tale. I hope your Tele brings you every happiness in this uncertain world. As for Facebook, I would leave that for the mindless sheeple out there.

Charlodius likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.