Flea market find- early 50s tele?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Charlodius, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Insane find. I can't find knock teles at flea markets and pawn shops, and the real teles I come across are a lot more than $20.

I just like to run across a 58RI, 50's lacquer, or roadworn for $20, let alone an actual 53. haha.

Congratulations. While part of me would like it blonde it does look really cool the way it is. Nothing beats that real old look.

Charlodius likes this.
  2. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I’ve gotten lucky in the past, but never this lucky. I am pretty sold on this being a’52 because it has the dark circuit wiring. By all accounts, that wiring ended in the later part of ‘52, when they transition to more of a tone circuit. I tried to nail down exactly when it was that fender officially changed the circuit, but that info is not out there. I suggested to the guy that runs blackguardlogs to include that detail when folks log their guitars. You can notate if your body/neck have signatures, or if there is the D stamp, but They don’t ask what circuit it has. To be sure, it would be helpful for me to know this info, but it’s also a pretty significant change in these guitars that was not documented all that well. Nacho’s book just says the later part of 52 I believe.

Chick-N-Picker likes this.
  3. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

Dark circuit was dropped in 67. Are you getting confused with the blend control instead of a tone? Pot date codes are your best bet for dating

4. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

Yes blend control.

5. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

I meant to type 52 instead of 53. I really didn't think stuff like this happened anymore because of the internet but now you have gave us all hope.

If it did happen to me...I would quickly write a note to give to one of y'all because I would probably have a heart attack and die.

Since you already have one...I'd most likely leave it to another member. Only one 52 per member.....hahaha

Charlodius likes this.
  6. Just Dropped In

Just Dropped In Tele-Meister

LOL, I can relate to that a little. Went to a guitar shop in 1977 to buy an electric. There were 2 guitars on display near the door at the same price. One was a used white '69 Strat, the other was a new Rickenbacker 481 (like the bass models). I left with the Ric.

Charlodius likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.