Flea market find- early 50s tele?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Charlodius, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I was working with the black thermoplastic sheeting at work and I’m going to see if I was able to make a suitable match-

Attached Files:

BrowneFace and Festus_Hagen like this.
  2. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

oh man its awesome! and for 20 dollars i dont think seller was trying to counterfeit items for a profit.
    i would ditch the bridge cover and play it like it is. the world has enough boring 'restored' teles. you can restore it 20 years down the road if it has to be sold. it looks so cool the way it is! uber cool

3. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Am I missing something? I see no pics of any potentiometers.

Or FB & win a strap. Small deal, I know... but a strap!

I was excited that it was found & being resurrected. I'm now of the mind that the finish is a part of the appeal. I'd also leave it. Once you do a re-fin some of the history goes with it. You can "add value" later.

Is there a chance that the pickup doesn't need a rewind? Cold joint? Broken connection somewhere?

I'm glad you got the book. It's incredible, isn't it? You belong* in THAT club now.

*pending ;)

Charlodius likes this.
  4. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

Yes- the book is awesome! Someone said that every time they open that book they get lost in it for a couple of hours. That’s me right now!

I swear I posted pics of the pots, but I must have done an edit and removed them. One pot has solder covering the entire date code. Also, here is a shot of what the shaft looks like.
    To my eye, the shaft looks like one out of a 53 in Nacho’s book. But he also says the blend wiring went out mid-late 53. What say you?

I was going to hold off putting it on the log - until I verify the exact year, and get a letter of authenticity. Of course, I don’t know who could possibly give me a definitive date. I personally think that the hive mind of this forum is a better and more accurate source than any one store ( like Gruhn, Lark Street, or Carter’s). From what I’ve read, the dates were penciled on the body and the neck before the finish went on. If the pocket and the heel were not sanded, it’s possible that these dates could be found if the refin can safely be removed from those areas. I don’t know who could do that, but I sure won’t try it myself.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  5. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

5095FB2D-D2E6-4204-B49C-4061400D2455.jpeg My fabricated fret dot is actually a more perfect circle than the actual dots. Nothing getting glued anywhere. I wonder if I hit the dot (not the neck) with lacquer, will it shine like the others..?

BrowneFace likes this.
  6. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Hm. It does not seem to fit.

Charlodius likes this.
  7. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

Perhaps if I hit it with a few coats of lacquer it will. If it doesn’t look and fit 100%, I’ll have a pro do it. I thought I read that the ‘clay’ dots were actually Bakelite. I may be mistaken. They are all irregular up close. The dot in question of course, is the last one.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  8. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Well... just my personal opinion... but I'd just leave the dot out. It's part of the patina.

Have you ever seen Keef's Micawber?

It's missing the dot at 17, and probably will never get replaced...

Rasher and Charlodius like this.
  9. CHarg

CHarg TDPRI Member

If I were going to try to remove some of the refin in the neck pocket, I think my first thought would be to try using a Q-tip with one of the Mirror Glaze rubbing compounds, and very slowly remove as little as possible/necessary in the smallest area likely to have part of a date code under it, as shown in the Nacho book.

10. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I wouldn’t do anything until I see Gruhn, but honestly I don’t think I’d be comfortable doing that myself.

11. Hotburrito1

Hotburrito1 TDPRI Member

you could also just fill the remaining "gap" on top and around the dot with C.A. Glue and then buff it out.
    Im used to these types of jobs however you may not be comfortable. It would be reversible if you ever needed to. A reliable guitar tech could do the process in a few hours.

12. CHarg

CHarg TDPRI Member

Understandable, on both counts. I certainly wouldn't do anything permanent to it until it's been evaluated by at least one expert.
    Is there some hi-tech way of "seeing" what's under the finish, x-ray or something like that?

Charlodius likes this.
  13. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’ve enjoyed following this cool story. Been around a ton of vintage acoustics but I’m no vintage Fender expert, so no comments on what to do etc.

I do want ya to know that some guys, like me, like the looks of that body finish just fine and I’d like it if it just rolled outta a guitar factory yesterday. Nice dark wood showing the grain. Mmmm mmmm mmmm!

CHarg likes this.
  14. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

F2C4415E-0F67-412B-A1FC-45187A48E665.jpeg View attachment 620052
    He was in a good mood, and did tell a ton of stories. He broke out an insane early strat that had been modified to be half guitar and half mandolin by a guy who was in a country western duo with his wife. He had the promo pic of them e duo in the case that was pretty funny but cool. He pulled out the tele pickguard he sold me and said that he and a friend of his who trades in vintage gear were friends with Ceasar Diaz. He said the friend got the pickguard from ceasar in the 80s. That pickguard and a telecaster were being consigned in his store for the friend. He thought the pickguard would go great with my guitar. View attachment 620052

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  15. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

Glad you checked him out, I used to hang out around his old store in Albany as a kid and listen to the stories, then as a long haired teenage metal head, now I'm in Pa and they are in Teaneck so I don't get to hang around so much but every now and then I make the trip

Charlodius likes this.
  16. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

[​IMG]
    Best pic of all!

Charlodius likes this.
  17. BrowneFace

BrowneFace TDPRI Member

Thanks a lot for the kind words!

I seldom get to check in, here, but -of course- this thread is *irresistible*!!

Charlodius likes this.
  18. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Been reading this thread off and on …..I'd keep it lookin' the way it does....it's a beaut

CHarg and Charlodius like this.
  19. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Feeling stupid yet bro?

20. Rasher

Rasher Tele-Meister

This sort of thing has happened to me many years ago, except around the other way, when I bought a brand new 1977 Strat and the guy said I could have the '62 that was hanging there for the same money. I took the brand new one. (I was 18 at the time).
    Yes, 42 years and I'm still not over it.
    I console myself by remembering it wasn't a Nocaster or a '52 Tele

Charlodius, I am genuinely happy for you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.