Flea market find- early 50s tele?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Charlodius, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

He had some amazing amps- the place is filled with them! Vintage magnatones, supro, tweeds day silverface fenders of all flavors!

2. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

Buzzy also recommended either JM Rolph or Don Ramos to fix the pickup. I’ve heard of Rolph but not Ramos.

3. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

And why go to all the trouble and expense of refinishing. I think it looks really cool as is. Anyway congrats on the "new' pickguard, soon you'll be pickin' and grinnin'. :D

Charlodius likes this.
  4. Vark45

Vark45 TDPRI Member

All I can say is WOW!...congrats Charlodius!

5. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

Google "Dominick Ramos" - definitely a big name in the pickup world, albeit not as frequently heard as some.

Charlodius likes this.
  6. Hotburrito1

Hotburrito1 TDPRI Member

Register this with blackguard logs on Instagram.

bender66 likes this.
  7. Southboundsuarez

Southboundsuarez TDPRI Member

I dont know if this would be a total bonehead comment or not..... But what about commissioning Abigail Ybarra to do the pickup?
    Last I heard was that she moved up north away from California after retirement from Fender and had setup a winder in the kitchen of her new home.
    I live near Corona and have made friends with folks at Fender and was very lucky enough to have her rewind some Pre CBS 1964 strat pickups. It turned out that she had done the original winding on two of the three pups in that particular Strat.
    I dont know? As I said might be bonehead thing to mention as I have no idea what her status is today or if this something completely out of her league or what?

Congrats though!

I wish amplifiers were so worthy or sought after,,,,, I had a customer bring me his barn find 63 Deluxe Reverb for restoration. What a great Amp with great backstory.
    I also did amazingly well to come up on a fully orig 1959 Bassman 5F6 Chassis in complete working order.
    Had a Woody 46 Deluxe come through my shop once too. I had a tough time convincing the party that he did not want to shotgun in a whole mess of orange drop caps into that baby!
    It is these types of things that make this such a fun and interesting hobby and pursuit!
    Surely a great many of the treasures are all being gaffled by the rich and famous for their own personal collections, but yet there still remains many stories such as this one, where the everyday enthusiasts uncovers something truly awesome.
    I would try and find the guy you bought it from and kick him down a few hundred bucks if possible. Just for some good Karma.
    Reminds me of my friends tweaker cousin that was rooting somewhere and came upon a prewar Martin. She was totally stoked that she was able to get $400.00
    My friend had ignored her phone calls earlier the previous days.... DOH!!!!
    She came back bragging and all happy saying she knew that the Martin name was worth something on that old guitar. My friend doesnt like to talk about it!

David Barnett likes this.
  8. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I shot him and Rolph emails today.

9. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I did go back to try and find the guy but I did not spot him. He said something about it coming from the store - which I thought meant thrift store. It was just like a card table, set up in a field of card tables that sell mostly junk on warm Saturdays. My interaction with him was like 30 seconds long, and I’m not convinced I could pick him out of a crowd at this point, as lame as that sounds. I may have walked right by him. The guy was also selling a solid-state Yamaha amp that was newer. If I saw that I would’ve known it was the guy. Of course that amp is probably long gone .

10. Southboundsuarez

Southboundsuarez TDPRI Member

I can certainly understand the sea of hoarder humanity along with the hustle and bustle of the swap meet. They surely all tend to look alike after awhile.

Well, as long as you feel that you gave it a good try and had the right intention, its all good! Besides, if it was just excess inventory from a thrift store or something, he might have just been a volunteer or other employee and might not of had any personal interest in what he was selling anyways. Probably doing him the favor of not having to haul more stuff back with him.
    I will give you an "A" for the effort. But I definately would keep a lookout for future bargain treasures!

At least you have the true old school type of flea market/swap meet back there.
    It seems out here all we get at the drive in and parking lot swap meets are jobbers that peddle off the same old straight off the boat from China budget value copycat housewares, clothing and knockoff designer acessories. Everything brand new straight from the shipping crate.
    I like the old type of swap where they have piles of old broken craftsman tools, used fishing poles , garden tractors, bicycles, antique electronics and every other thing imaginable, lock, stock and barrel. Not to mention old guitars too!

11. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I will, after I get date confirmation.

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

ESFAFO

Each step further away from original...

DON’T refin that guitar.

So it looks like what ? A Nacho guitar or a CS Nocaster relic ?

You’d be erasing history to make it look like 10,000 other guitars.

I’ve had many great conversations with Buzzy . That’s cool he took so much time with you.

Pickup repair ?

If your guitar was a 1936 Martin D-28 and it needed a neck reset and a little fret work you’d go to TJ Thompson or Frank Ford or possibly Elderly or Gruhn’s .

People that add to the value of your guitar. Names that are shorthand in that world for “quality/it’s been done right”.

Find that person to fix your pickup.

Not some obscure guy that some other guy said was “really good”.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  13. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I agree with this, ^^^^ but I don't think it would hurt to install that awesome pickguard you got from Buzzy.

Charlodius and Mike Eskimo like this.
  14. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

one version I read (and I think it was in the Blackguard book, but I might be mistaken) is that the D or other letters A, B or C was used to designate a neck profile or style/size. I'll have to check my resource material, but that seems to stick in my mind for some reason.

15. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

That relates to the rubber stamp inked A B or C seen on neck ends and not the mysterious D punched mark.

16. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

As much as I feel an original blonde blackguard is the perfect looking guitar, I am in no hurry to change the finish. I will hear what Gruhn recommends. If they feel a modern refin will add value, I will probably go that way at some point. Right now, I’m content letting this guitar tell it’s own story. That said, the Formica pickguard and radio knobs are getting switched out, but I’m saving everything. I have been soliciting people to do the pickup repair. Lindy Fralin is not a nobody. Jim Rolph is not a nobody. I know I need to be careful about who I use. Honestly, the finish of this guitar has seriously grown on me. At first glance, it felt like an abomination. But the longer I look at it, the more beautiful I find the grain and the overall originality of the ancient refin. Particularly the grain in the upper waist.

In the pics you can see I switched the knobs to real 52. The switch tip will be hard to change and may not come off in one piece. For that reason, I won’t change it until Gruhn looks at it. Similarly, I’m not putting screws into the body to hold the blackguard on- the original holes have that brown finish in them. I’m not doing anything that can’t be reversed.
    I am planning on replacing most of the screws with correct repro screws and storing the originals. I don’t want them to get stripped with use over time. But I’m not doing that until Gruhn does their assessment.
    Incidentally, I sent Gruhn a pic of the guitar in it’s original found state with the Formica pickguard, and s guy named Corey Terrell said he does not think the body is fender. I told him that I believe he will draw a different conclusion when he has it in hand. In his defense, he only saw the one pic with the Formica guard when he formed that opinion. He couldn’t see all the markings and fabrication quirks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    radiocaster, Stubee, Chip and 7 others like this.
  17. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

The neck on this is not a particularly thick D shape. Nacho has written how he loves the thick necks of the old broadcasters but that’s not the profile ive grown up with and this suits me fine. I really dig the look with the heavily worn pickguard. I think it matches the guitar perfectly.

Antoon likes this.
  18. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

“New” knobs (1952).

Attached Files:

Chip and jimytheassassin like this.
  19. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

BrowneFace - great, great info/suggestions. Folks like you, who are wiilingly to help/advise, are one of the reasons I love TDPRI.

BrowneFace and Charlodius like this.
  20. CHarg

CHarg TDPRI Member

For what it's worth, my opinion is to leave the finish as it is. It's such a great story, and I think it's a beautiful and unique-looking guitar! Nice pickguard score, too. Congratulations on an amazing find!
    Charlie

Charlodius likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.