Flea market find- early 50s tele?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Charlodius, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Wolfman202020

Wolfman202020 TDPRI Member

That serial number shows it to be a 1954 on g

Attached Files:

24 track likes this.
  2. Wolfman202020

Guitar dater shows it to be a 54’ and fender shows serial numbers below 6000 is 52’ 53’ or 54’ and 5071 is the serial numbers on the bridge plate. The earliest pots I’ve seen had numbers stamped into the side but you can get on every eBay and hunt for early 50’s pots and see if they have the same thing on them. I hope you got one. Because me and everybody else hopes to find something like that, even if I had to pay $40.00 haha . Please let us know what you find and I was serious about the Harley in case you had any doubts. Take care and good luck

Charlodius likes this.
  3. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

No. He said $20 and I pulled out my money without another word.

theprofessor and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  4. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's

:rolleyes:

5. vintageampz

vintageampz TDPRI Member

The odds of you or anyone finding a "historic" 50's or even early 60's Telecaster at a flee market or garage sale is about the same as you being the sole winning of a half $Billion Power Ball lotto. EVERYONE is aware of old guitar values these days, likely even up in the backwater hillbilly areas of W Virgina. Hense we have even people wanting $500 for a Korean Squier on EBay. And there are hundreds and maybe a thousand very very good fakes that all but Leo Fender or Forest White would fool. Guitars are far too easy to Fake, get real, with guitars by todays standards those made in the 1940's and 50's were almost crude .... too easy to fake especially when the stakes are selling a phony 50's Tele for $30k and up. As a Luthier of 45 years and having worked at Fender from 1973 - 1999, I've seen more damn good fakes than you'd believe.

That is no original or real 50's Tele.

You got your money's worth - $20.

rich815 likes this.
  6. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

:rolleyes:

7. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

:eek:

8. Wolfman202020

Hey take a black light to it and see if anything glows through the refinish

9. Wolfman202020

Wow Are you one of those Psychics or mediums? Because I have a gi
    to replace those parts with time period replacements will probably mean taking out a loan

10. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

It’s not even a good fake. Look at that pickguard.

11. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Wouldn't it be a wasted effort to make a fake with the wrong fake pickguard and wrong fake bridge cover?

Which shortly found its way to a flea market seller who was willing to sell it for $20?

That don't make no sense. It's not like it's a unicorn.

12. Quacky

Quacky Tele-Meister

Looks to me that the neck is real, same with the pickups and hardware but the body looks a bit wrong like the real one got damaged someone down the line and was replaced. But thats just an opinion and btw this thread is a bit old I would think you would have checked with a pro by now unless you just trolling us. :p

ArcticWhite likes this.
  13. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Awesome find! Looks legit to me, but I'm no expert. I hope it turns out to be worth a bundle and frankly I think it looks great as-is (except for the bridge cover). I'd hold off doing anything as it may be an early project by some guitar god that lost it in the haze of the '60s.

Would never happen around here though. Way too many "internet experts" around to find anything good in a pawnshop or flea market.

BTW, just a thought... that square bridge cover and PG with straight upper edge are kinda Bo Diddleylish :cool:

Charlodius likes this.
  14. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

I swear some people didn't even bother to read the thread before commenting ...... o_O

since71, Mad Kiwi, Flyboy and 10 others like this.
  15. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I know some people might think I’m crazy but if I came across a deal on a real 50’s Tele I would sell it in a heartbeat and buy a Custom Shop NOS Nocaster. I’d rather have a $4000 CS I wouldn’t completely paranoid about hauling out to play. It’s gotten where the originals are more for people who have a climate controlled display room with a top notch security system. I’m more of a “drag it around to jam sessions” kind of collector. I have to admit though I’d get a kick out of playing a old original Tele from when Leo himself was in the factory for a couple of weeks before I sold it.
    By the way.., congrats on the amazing find! Even if the body is a replacement it’s still a real find.

Charlodius likes this.
  16. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

It's not my guitar , and the OP can do with it what he wants

I see a few options here

It would be nice to have one of the really clever resto gurus look at it. Sometimes amazing work can be done saving whatever finish is underneath , but it will take time and cost quite a bit.

If the OP is not comfortable working with frozen screws and what else could give trouble , it's better to have someone work on it

I would start by getting it to work. The solder joints have already been tampered with at the pickups. Use a working bridge pu , just to get it working , and have a pickup wizz look at the old one.

For me , it would just be a matter of being prepared to spend a lot longer than normal .
    Seriously , you only need to baby the tuners , and pots really carefully , use a repro pickguard and a bridge pu.

If the nut works , I wouldn't even mess with that at first ,bridge saddle screws could take some carefull work and time. Maybe let them be at first too

Charlodius likes this.
  17. Wolfman202020

Why would someone go through the trouble of making it look old and then sell it for $20.00. People hit the lottery everyday powerball. Twice a week. I don’t think regardless If it’s real or not they didn’t know what they had.

18. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

The only thing I would be a bit nervous about , would be the finish. I have seen some amazing things done , and workable finish found under the refinish.

I'm not that experienced with paint , but if nothing can be saved anyway , I would probably refinish it myself , if at all.
    I would also refret it myself if needed , and probably cut the nut and pickguard myself.

Top dollar is long gone on this anyway , and it will cost serious coin to have some guru work on it.

Still , it a super cool find , and I would still love it if it was worth nothing !

24 track likes this.
  19. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

some times there are people on this site that are really negative by nature , dont trouble yourself over them , this is a cool thread!

since71, AAT65, Flyboy and 6 others like this.
  20. spook69

spook69 Tele-Holic

What thread ........ lol!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.