Flea market find- early 50s tele?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Charlodius, Apr 8, 2019.

1. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

I"m underwhelmed by this flood of information, lol.

2. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

You kind of answered the question yourself:

"Other than their significant history, why are these early Telecasters so valued? "

These days there are new guitars that probably sound as good as a 52 Tele for a whole lot cheaper, but no matter how you slice it, they aren't an original 1952 or 1953 Tele which is the holy grail for many of us.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Kontaktmoi likes this.
  3. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The fact that this guitar still exists, with only superficial modifications, and for $20 (!!!) is what blows me away. It's like finding a '67 Shelby Mustang that's missing its badges selling for $500. With nothing molested under the hood...

4. Dion

Dion TDPRI Member

WOW!! Excited to see how this turns out!

5. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

This is crazy. Too bad there are no vintage guitar finds like that in Central Europe, with the Iron Curtain and all...

tintag27 and telemnemonics like this.
  6. lilqueenie

lilqueenie TDPRI Member

All suggestions are right on. Check date on pots. See if you can see a penciled date at the butt of the guitar neck. TG would be Tadeo Gomez, most sought after necks.
    I have a 52 and everything looks correct on this so far.. except of course the replacement parts. But you scored big time. Take it to a really good luthier and have some restoration done.. but don't wreck what is salvageable.. Good luck

Charlodius likes this.
  7. lilqueenie

lilqueenie TDPRI Member

Just looked up the serial number it's a 54.. if it's real and it certainly looks real and that color was one they used that year. Next to mine, which I got for 125 bucks in 1975 from a starving musician with a baby on the way, this is a killer find!!!

8. gasgreg

gasgreg TDPRI Member

The resistor on the position switch is curious, but the soldering, and wiring looks very original. Are there any signs of penciled initials, or numbers under the neck joint on the body. I agree that it looks like a refinish, but possibly refinished with the neck in place, and there might be some clues under the neck,or in the pickup cavities. For $20.00... You certainly didn't go wrong.

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I have some pieces of the iron curtain I'd trade for a '52...

Piotr likes this.
  10. skisquash

skisquash TDPRI Member

Huge! Congrats! How does it play and feel?

11. 0911smokey

0911smokey TDPRI Member

I’ll give you 5x what you paid for it right now! $$$$$ Congrats on that find.

12. primo47

primo47 TDPRI Member

Amazing find. You're getting a lot of terrible advice here. That is a largely intact 50s tele, and you should not clean or change anything. You can easily get 10-15k for exactly what you have in hand, and you should decide, on your own, if you want the money or the guitar. Either way, you should work only with a nationally-recognized appraiser or collector to get the value or sell. This is not the place to make any decisions on such a high-value find. Congratulations, and my only advice is move slowly, keeping in mind your goal. You want a nice player? Sell this for what it's worth (a lot) and buy a custom shop and bank the rest.

El Tele Lobo, Moriarty, igor5 and 7 others like this.
  13. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Good advice. Especially on the reputable appraiser/collector. And be careful! A teacher I’m studying with now has a beautiful early 60’s Gibson 345 that he had worked on by a professional repair guy a number of years ago that he swears swapped out the original pickups!! Still old, vintage pickups that are quite good but not the originals. The repair guy swears that’s what was in there. My teacher swears otherwise. When it comes to valuable stuff things can get weird fast especially if they think you’re ignorant or inexperienced.

14. Smodge

Smodge NEW MEMBER!

What a wonderful thread, so pleased you scored such a cool old guitar that really shouldn’t be thousands, they should find their keepers, through some kind of swamp ash hoodoo So behold your beast hope you stay together!

15. BobbyGinAZ

BobbyGinAZ TDPRI Member

You need to show us the body underneath the neck that will have a date and initials of the manufacturing person who worked for Leo Fender if it’s an authentic 52

16. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Amazing, congratulations!!

What would I do with it?

I’d buy a high end solderless rig like Kelling or Obsidian, carefully ( no -real carefully ) unsolder the pickups from the control plate and get her running. I’d clean her up(soft rub only) and play the snot out of it. If the bridge won’t intonate/set up easily I’d pick up a USA 52 ri bridge and place the bridge safely away with the original control plate. Same with the tuners if they wouldn’t turn. Any restoration would require it be disassembled and there is no guitar I can’t cleanly take apart.. No way I’d let the $20 magical find not turn into immediate tone. Karma of the find demands that be played as Leo intended.

Then I’d save enough dough to send it off to top notch pro luthier with a proven history of world class restoration of vintage Fender guitars.

I wouldn’t be in a hurry about it tho cause after it was restored I’d probably be afraid to take it out of the house.

OP whatever you do please don’t sell. Please enjoy and play!

Good luck!

Troubleandahalf likes this.
  17. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

That's already been long established.

esetter and John Nicholas like this.
  18. fiestafinishes

fiestafinishes TDPRI Member

This guitar is legit other than a few changed parts. Nice work! Message me if you want to sell it for market value.

Charlodius likes this.
  19. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

Huh.
    20 bucks at a flea market. New tdpri member as of one week ago.
    Cool story, bro.
    Tell another.

20. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Yeah. Be nice to see that this is authentic or a really good fake. I’ve read some very surprising stories of some really, really well done fakes.

ArcticWhite likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.