Flea market find- early 50s tele?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Charlodius, Apr 8, 2019.

1. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Sweet! Is it me... or does the shape of the headstock have more curl or french curves to it??

2. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

This story is going to go down in the TDPRI lore and be told for years to come. The OP definitely needs to get himself some cargo shorts.

3. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I love old stuff , regardless of what it's worth.
    I love that guitar , wow
    Please keep us updated , no matter what you choose to do !
    Such a cool find , I really look forward to follow the next travel for this cool old guitar.
    Congrats !

El Tele Lobo and MattMrdck like this.
  4. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

trust this - you'll never be able to over post pictures or descriptions of this incredible find. I'm lovin' the forum response as much as the guitar itself. Epic awsomeness!
    For myself, it's not just that it's old. Leo Fender was a one of kind entrepeneur, who tossed his hat into a ring perhaps even he didn't fully comprehend. His focus, his tenacity, his sheer stubbornness in the face of adversity is legend. Each survivor instrument from that age is a testament to all the people who worked their butts off to make something truly American. ahh man, I'm rambling... I'm just so happy to see something surface, that brings such happiness to so many.

fwiw, I've got a beat up '67 that was 'definished' (stripped) back in the 70s - someone removed the top finish but left the fullerplast. (and scooped out the neck pup route with what I'm guessing was a butter knife or a spork).
    It plays so good, as it is. I wouldn't dream of refinishing it. Every scar, nick, and scrape tells a story.

5. bendingtens

bendingtens Tele-Holic

My go-to guy for an evaluation would be Dave Hinson from Killer Vintage in St. Louis and Dallas.

Here's his bio I pulled from an interview:

"I currently serve as one of the editors of the Vintage Guitar Price Guide, as well as a contributing editor and adviser of the Blue Book of Guitars. I am on the advisory board of the Modern Guitar Museum (Los Angeles), expert Appraiser for Heritage Auctions Dallas TX, and frequent consultant to the Antique Roadshow (PBS)."

https://www.killervintage.com/contact

Charlodius likes this.
  6. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I actually really like it the way it is; I'm not saying it must be kept that way. But aside from the homemade-looking bridge and pickguard, I think it's cool. As someone else said, it's so old a refinish (or at least it sure looks that way) that the refin itself is a part of history. A kind of folk art.

As someone else said above, you can't over-post about this. It's just magnificent. Keep the posts coming when you can, and the more pics, the better!

Charlodius likes this.
  7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Great find...

Personally, I’d want to get it playable with as little change as possible and gig the sh*t out of it.

It’s an instrument and exists to be played. Unless you really need the cash, an instrument with lots of potential mojo came your way. I’d let it live and breath a bit and let someone else wonder about turning it into $$$ later on. The memories would be even more enriching than just flipping it.

8. Grey_Melbourne

Grey_Melbourne TDPRI Member

What a great find and story! Congratulations and keep the updates coming. I dream of finding something like this.

9. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I'm going to go ahead and call it: THIS IS THE BEST TDPRI THREAD OF ALL TIME.

Yes, I know; I haven't read all of them, and I've only been around a couple of years. But, given that this is the Telecaster Discussion Page (Reissue), and given that the OP just got what surely looks to be a '52 Telecaster for $20, he wins. Our new member @Charlodius has started the best TDPRI thread ever. How could it not be?

10. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Same here. I'm sure we've all been sitting here thinking "Now, what would I do with it?"

Well, I would clean it up, get it working electronically, clean out the tuners if necessary (Dave has a great StewMac video for that), frets dressed or replaced, put a "normal" pickguard on it...and play it.

Down the road I might change my mind and go the re-fin route. But I'd give it a shot as-is.

Scott

Charlodius, Larmo63 and bender66 like this.
  11. buddyboy

buddyboy Tele-Meister

Have you put a meter on the bridge pickup leads? Are you sure it's shot? If you're getting neck pickup only in the "middle and rear positions", it may be simply the guitar is wired wrong and not that the bridge pickup is dead. Does it have the blend control?

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  12. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

This is the underside of the DIY pickguard. See the finish splotch? It corresponds to that rough area on the finish at the edge of the body below the neck pickup, near the screw hole. Think the person who refinished it put the pickguard on when the finish wasn’t completely dry? Or is that something that happens over time with certain finishes? Someone floated the idea that maybe a prior owner knew a furniture refinisher who did the stain, but applying the pickguard to wet finish would not be something an experienced refinisher would do!

Attached Files:

13. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sometimes our patience is tried by the need to get it done. Lack of patience, lack of experience, whatever. I have done stupid stuff just because I needed to see it or use it NOW. I'm a lot more patient now than I was in my 20s or 30s. DIY people come in all flavors. This guitar would not look like it does had this been the work of someone with training/expertise.

Troubleandahalf and Charlodius like this.
  14. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I clipped a lead to the wire right before it solders to the pot and touched the other lead of the multimeter to ground. Reads like an open coil. Did the same to the neck pickup and the reading was as expected with a correct value. The neck is active in all three positions but the typical neck position on the switch yields an incredibly dark sound. I’m pretty sure this is blend wiring, though it is a new phenomenon to me. I have been told the wiring scheme is the blend circuit and that it’s untouched from the factory, with the exception if the pickup leads being desoldered probably when the refin was done. This all coming from people on FB who knew a heck of a lot about early fenders-but going off my pictures, not inspecting in person.

15. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Someone spilled a beer on it???

:D:D:D

Kidding of course!

16. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When I saw the switch photo, I knew immediately that it was a "blend control." You can see the resistor on the side of the switch, but more than that was the sleeve that holds wires together. You can find info and pics of that same sleeve in Nacho Banos "Blackguard Book." If the wiring harness is the one that was fitted to the guitar originally, it could mean a date even before '52, as the blend wiring lasted from '50-'52.

skisquash and Wally like this.
  17. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

You mean you clipped the original wiring to measure the pickup's DCR?

18. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think/ hope that he used a crocodile clip on the meter lead to contact the wire where it meets the pot.

Charlodius likes this.
  19. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Yes I thought he meant 'cut' too, but I bet he didn't :twisted:

20. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Something looks like it got under there. Look at the stain running from the lower bout to the control plate. Might have collected around that pg screw & ate the finish. Same goes for the pg screw near the control. Those 2 areas are where the pg would be pulled tight to the body.
    [​IMG]
    This looks like wood from the back.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.