1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

flea bay rant

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1977CJ5, Apr 14, 2010.

1. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

I'm really getting frustrated. I've given up on my local CL because of all of the scams and people who want to haggle over the phone before even seeing the gear they are haggling over.

So I've gone back to Flea bay. Well, I have 87 transactions all positive. So EB and PP hold my funds on guitar sales until the buyer leaves positive feedback. Apparently I have to get to 100 until this stops. The last 2 guitars I have sold, the buyers will not respond to my emails and leave no feedback positive or negative. So, I'm out my gear, my time, and my money for shipping until EB and PP decide to release my funds. I require a signature, so they know the item has been delivered, which is another requirement they tend to ignore.

Anyway, it seems sellers are treated really unfairly. I wish they had a way to require buyers to leave feedback. So here I sit without my gear and my shipping funds, while someone is playing their new guitar...

2. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, that sucks. What about only being able to leave pos feedback for buyers? There are abusive buyers who try to manipulate the system and you can't do anything about it.

3. Al Watsky

Al Watsky Tele-Afflicted

It does seem odd, the whole holding of funds thing.
    It must be due to huge amounts of fraud.
    I love the fees too.
    Still better than having stuff sitting around.
    The funds come through eventually as long as people are responsive.
    Unfortunately people tend to be dishonest in their dealings with strangers.
    If you make a negative assumption thats sure to be the outcome.
    Human nature at its worst.
    Better days are ahead.

4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

When ebay bought Paypal and revamped their rules I quit selling on there. It is just not worth it to me. Everything seems geared to the buyer and screwing the seller now. The good ol' days are over on ebay.

5. mattdean4130

mattdean4130 Tele-Afflicted

I sold a working graphics card on ebay, and the buyer complained to paypal that it was faulty. I argued black and blue to paypal that computer components are easily damaged by ESD (static) and that the card was not installed by a qualified Apple Technician (which i am) yet i still ended up with a faulty returned card and no cash...

6. cband7

cband7 Friend of Leo's

I used to use Ebay quite a bit (buyer). I remember a few sellers that wouldn't ship until you left positive feed back - didn't know why at the time but holding your payment does seem a little stupid. Sort of like banks still clinging to that old "your funds will be available five business days after deposit". A scam is a scam is a scam.

7. wshelley

wshelley Tele-Holic

Haven't used ebay as a buyer or seller in about 6 years. Do they not allow sending a cashier's check anymore?

8. chet

chet Banned

I don't have a problem with Ebay itself but Paypal sucks.

Especially thier customer service- which is a misnomer- they're completely incompetent. They don't give a dam about you as long as they get thier money.

9. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

The last few times I bought on ebay (never sold and only bought maybe 10 items) I chose to not use my bank acct as the funding source using a back up credit card instead. Their prompts are very "in your face" about protecting this and that in order to change your mind but I figured if there was a problem with the goods, my credit card company would back me up.

Can they hold payment if a credit card is used?

10. podboy3

podboy3 Tele-Afflicted

What does eBay accept for payment? If they are not allowing cashiers checks I cannot imagine them accepting many other forms of payment. It sounds like they are forcing people to use paypal.

11. dido__15

dido__15 TDPRI Member

Is this holding of payment a new thing? I know theres been a few updates to terms of service recently but I've never had it happen to me before. Is it only over a certain amount?

And I totally agree about Paypal's customer service, I enquired about using Paypal to accept pre-bids for a charity auction and if any package would be able to do it. The reply was, to the word, "We offer lots of different packages, you should try one of them"

12. BooNin

BooNin Tele-Meister

eBay in the UK seems to work ok for me. Never really had any problems. Paypal have actually improved! No withdrawal fees and a faster money transfer. End selling fees seem higher, I'm not sure whether that's percieved or a reality though.

13. Mister B

Mister B Tele-Holic

I've bought and sold several guitars on eBay UK over the years, mostly without incident (I guess I've been lucky). I have had a couple of bad experiences with other things, including a seller that took my money (only about £40) and didn't deliver. I filed a Paypal claim but to my astonishment Paypal told me I couldn't have a refund because the seller had withdrawn the funds and had nothing in their account! All the promises about protection and security and they just walked away! Fortunately I used my credit card and they refunded my money. I never use anything but my card for Paypal transactions now (despite their attempts to persuade me otherwise) and I always avoid eBay if I can.

The seller fees have increased, 10% up to a maximum of £40. The restrictions on postage charges have also become ridiculous. I'm all for preventing over charging but the limits often don't allow you to get back anywhere near what it actually costs. Selling on eBay has become a real pain, shame there isn't a viable alternative.

14. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

I don't know. I've been selling on E-bay for about 8 years. I obviously am not a massive seller because I only have 88 transactions, all 100% positive. I never had it happen until last year, I probably had about 75 transactions at that time, with no negative feedback. Then one day I sold a G&L and it happened. They told me they mostly did it on musical instruments and electronic equipment. They said they did not do it all the time, but had the right to do it to anyone at anytime. There web site states this info also. It also states that after 100 transactions with positive feedback they probably will no longer hold the funds. Well, ever since then it has happened every time I ship a guitar, and it happened on a speaker I sold also.

I have a few other higher end guitars I am thinking of selling. It really scares me to use fleabay for these. What would happen if the buyer receives the guitar, messes it up by screwing with the electronics, truss rod, or scratches it while the hold is in effect. Then decides to send it back? I just don't see how there is any protection for the seller.

I think at the least, fleabay could implement a system that would require a buyer to leave feedback within 24 hours of receiving an item. Sellers could provide tracking info if needed. Maybe they could lock them out until they leave the feedback. I don't know, just a thought.

15. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Make sure you put 'As is' in your auctions, and show proof of delivery to EB/PP, demand funds.

Oh, and in your terms and conditions: "Payment must be paid in full and cleared prior to shipping"

Lending what little money I got out interest free, not me!

16. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Large item like guitars I photograph at every stage of packing with that days newspaper included to date it .I also take good quality pictures to show the condition on the date of posting again with a dated newspaper included in all shots .I only send insured and never to unconfirmed address's.

17. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I feel your pain. eBay sucks, PayPal sucks worse but I see them as a necessary evil.

Here's how to beef up your feedback:

Sell a bunch of dinky diddly easy to ship items. Bric a brac. Items that sell for under ten bucks, send 'em out Priority Mail shortly after the auction ends and keep your shipping low. Sell stuff that will fit in the little Priority Mail box and ship for under $6.00. People love a bargain.

The hassle is that Amazon is the standard of service, they have a big ol' warehouse, the shippers give them a big discount. They pack stuff to ship three shifts a day. I'm not effin' Amazon and you're not, either. So let's complain about Amazon...

Next feedback solution: Buy on eBay. Sellers can't leave negative feedback for buyers. Buy a dozen little things and you should above the threshold where you get dicked by PayPal. There must be something you need out of the whole mess even though I'm seeing a drastic seller pullback. Search "Jensen Speaker" and look for vintage Jensens. Not much there, is there? That's because sellers aren't going to put up with the BS and the fees to get a bottomfeeder price for their merch.

It bears repeating: I'm seeing a big seller pullback. I think eBay is in trouble. They're screwing around and making a lot of changes to "compete" with Amazon. I think it's stupid. eBay is eBay, Amazon is Amazon. If I wanted to sell on Amazon I'd sell on Amazon.

18. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Ebay has done ok for me both as a seller and a buyer, I only ever had one buyer stall on a payment, but eventually he paid up, when threatened with bad feedback.

Ive sold a lot on ebay, mainly parts, but quite a few lower end guitars too. I also am a quick payer, I ask and respond to questions ASAP, and always keep feedback updated.

Buyers who dont give you feedback back, when things have gone like clockwork, also irritate me.

What astounds me about ebay is when you look at things as a buyer, and you see things you are bidding on sell for silly prices.

Ive been looking at and bidding on mid range teles this past month or so, and Ive seen used guitars selling for more than sometimes you can get them new. Especially when you factor in shipping charges.

CV50s Teles can be bought new, from stores in the UK for around £225 including delivery. I have seen CV50s sell used on ebay for way more than that. Saw a 2007 MIM Tele + postage sell for barely £15 less than you can buy one new here in the UK.

You can still snag the odd bargain though, if you know how to search. And the bargains are to be had on sellers who refuse to post and offer "collection only". Squier 51 for £41! I just had to do an 80mile round trip to get it.

Tell you what, though, in my search I have also looked on other for sale sites, and forum classified. Whats to stop people on those ripping you off?

19. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

I do this too. But, I just wonder if you would stand a chance winning a dispute with the apparent EB bias in favor of buyers.

20. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Know a guy who sold a bunch of custom made picks to his friends to get over the hump. They paid a buck, left feedback. He left feedback, dropped the picks in the mail and was over 100 in an afternoon. He needed less than 20.
    Not sure IF you could set something like that up here without violating the rules. How about screw e-buy pickguard screws? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    D F

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.