Flatpicking

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by burtf51, Jun 18, 2019.

1. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

Here's The Punch Bros with Chris Eldridge and Chris Thile playing a tribute to the late great Earl Scruggs,

2. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

I finally broke down and bought me a mandolin a few days ago and it is getting very interesting.

I’ve always been a huge admirer of Jethro Burns and Tiny Moore and naturally now with the new mandolin not only working on my scales/chords I’ve dug out one of my most favorite albums I haven’t listen to in a spell. What great players they were and dang what a fantastic song selection and the personnel is the cream of the crop...

Bass – Ray Brown
    Design Concept – Tom Diamant
    Drums – Shelly Manne
    Engineer – Bill Wolf
    Illustration – Dug Waggoner
    Mandolin – David Grisman (tracks: A6, B5)
    Mandolin [Acoustic] – Jethro Burns, Tiny Moore (tracks: A6, B2, B5)
    Mandolin [Electric 5-String] – Tiny Moore (tracks: A1 to A5, B1, B3, B4, B6)
    Mastered By – Bill Wolf, Bob MacLeod
    Photography By – Jim Marshall (3)
    Producer – David Grisman
    Rhythm Guitar – Eldon Shamblin

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mi9za4rguPO-hj2ZrnTJL9uEckNNQbHTY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ASATKat likes this.
  3. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

One more, does this more modern approach work for the traditionalists?

burtf51 likes this.
  4. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

Check out this video! This guy plays just like tony rice and sports the same suit and rings... When I first watched this I couldn’t believe it wasn’t tony.

burtf51 likes this.
  5. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

As far as the Thile vid it sounds great and I’ve watched the guy doing the Tony Rice vid before and it’s pretty dang amazing.

If it’s acoustic and real I love it, there’s some amazing younger musicians doing some great things and they didn’t get to where they are without studying traditional.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  6. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

and it goes something like this

P Thought likes this.
  7. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

@burtf51, I would just like to thank you for this thread, and to tell about a major musical breakthrough that has happened to me because of it. For me breakthroughs are what this is all about, and I'm always thrilled when the "aha" moment hits.

I've always nodded my head and gone off ignorant when the term "cross picking" crossed my path. This time I googled it, and a light went on for me, a neon one that said, "Son, you'd be a lot better if you put your attention on three strings at a time."

It may be I will never sound like Doc Watson (or Julian Lage), or that no one will ever think I was trying to, but my improvisational ability (so far there's only me as a witness) has suddenly exploded. About time, most people would say. I had already learned to see the five scale patterns for whatever key I am operating, and I've focused on learning lots of 2, 3, or 4-fingered chord shapes, so I was used to strumming that number of strings at a time.

Giving myself permission to limit myself to 3 strings--I sometimes sneak in 4--has suddenly made it easier for me to shift from chords to solos, to shift from major to minor configurations. . .to improvise. As I make that shift I'm working to stay aware of my own chromaticism (thanks @klasaine), and to continue to develop it; that's another thing that's improved in sudden leaps with this change.

Anyway, guess you had to be there, I really appreciate this thread for making me curious enough to look up "cross-picking". Changed my life.

Back to the thread, thanks for reading.

matrix, klasaine and burtf51 like this.
  8. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

P Thought...that is absolutely great, there is nothing no better than discovering something that was always inside you but just having to focus in the right direction to let it shine through...I know since I bought an acoustic and went back to my beginnings and working on traditional, folk, bluegrass, cross picking it was a godsend musically and I've been playing 50 years or so...so I know what you're feeling...I bought a mandolin about two weeks ago and words can't describe where it's taken/taking me. A mandolin can take any genre to a whole new world. It is a wonderful instrument and if you have an ear you start hearing and seeing things in a whole new light. Where a guitar is tuned to fourths a mando is tuned to fifths and I can't lay it down, every time I play it I'm constantly getting these light bulb moments...I am so glad you found home, it's a good place to be.

P Thought likes this.
  9. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I might have to give the mandolin another look (however I sold mine without having learned much on it) in light of this 2-4 string thing. I'm going to need a wider-necked one, though.

P.S. Them fifths is fourths, when you look at them backwards, which is sometimes the way I look at stuff. :)

10. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

Mt Eastman MD305 has an 1 3/32, may be wrong but to go up to an 1 1/8 you get into the high high dollars. I have a 1 3/4 on my acoustic and it took me a little time getting use to mandolin neck width but now I'm getting right at home with the width

11. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

That's a great cut of the tune.... thanks for sharing.

Here is one of my favorite arrangements of the song... Mark Cosgrove rips it up with traditional flatpicking mixed with several "tele style" riffs... plus he adds a fair bit of syncopation to the melody that is not usually heard with this tune.

burtf51 likes this.
  12. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

Any guitar players wanting to get into traditional and flatpicking...start with Doc and stay with Doc...the foundation of everything

I’m about 3 weeks into my mando learning and it’s mostly all old Irish tunes I’m working on...it’s even making me see guitar in a whole different light

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.