Flatpicking

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by burtf51, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I'd pay to be in the room for something like that. Nice work.
    One of my regrets is spending a whole lot of time in rural America - West Virginia, Kentucky, North and South Carolina - and never getting together to play with some folks.
    I'always been a loud and fast kind of guitar player - but I love playing that flatpick stuff on acoustic.

burtf51 likes this.
  2. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That's a nice looking Henderson that kid playing! You should also add the name Wayne Henderson to the list of great flatpickers, and he does it with a thumbpick!!

RJ

3. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Is he in a courtroom awaiting trial? Looks like Mark O'Connor is about to face charges for being too talented.

4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

No debate, you nailed it the first time, and expanded on it with this list. Just pointing out that Doc was the one that took an old but undiscovered thing, and made it a thing in the early 60's. The term "flatpicking" wasn't used at that time and emerged later. Its a pretty interesting subject.

You point out when flatpicking took a big turn - Tony Rice. There is a before, and an after "Rice". You can kinda point to Clarence White as a pre-cursor and the inspiration for Rice's new approach, but similarly to Doc, Rice was the one that vaulted his approach to national audiences, and everyone afterwards picked up on his system and approach.

Norman Blake is more of a peer to Doc Watson, in age , region, and approach. It was only after Doc had caught national attention [making money..] that Blake capitalized on his own guitar picking background. While Rice was the main influence on pickers, Blake chose to stay rooted and traditional, and in a way, distinguished himself by not going the progressive way as everyone else. Its almost a Yogi Berra-ism, in that he sounded different, because he wasn't different, lol.

I kinda view Blake as saving flatpicking from itself - without Blake's successful showcasing of the charm and intrinsic value of the basics, flatpicking could well have run away with itself. Picture Yngwie-esque gymnastics on a flattop, where you have neither the faculty of an electric, nor the tone and charm of a flattop, and zero tradition or relevance back to anything. Thankfully Blake captured and re-focused the essence of this older form. Crowds and sales for Blake's music testify as much.

You really have these three over the course of a [magical] decade or so, that revived, refined, advanced and anchored what we know now as flatpicking. And I love all the others too.

5. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

Julian Lage brings a level of harmonic cleverness to bluegrass. Some may say "he's really a jazz player", I say That's awesome he can bring the two styles together, and his picking skills are right there with anyone posted in this thread.

These guys are most definately trying to push the bluegrass envelope into new sounds.

But do YOU like it?

burtf51 likes this.
  6. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

and I was just listening to My Lage & Eldridge playlist on my drive this morning. Good stuff

What a great player Martin is but Lage plays whatever enters his mind, so spontaneous. A truly gifted player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

Another smoking number

burtf51 likes this.
  8. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

one more by himself, a real crosspicking challenge, he's so,,,,,,,,, Julian,

O:00 Gardens
    10:32 Day & Age
    19:37 Freight Train

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    burtf51 likes this.
  9. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

My Doc Watson story,

It was around 1975 that my sister had extra tickets to go see Gordon Lightfoot at Stanford University out on the lawn. This is when Sundown was topping the charts. So my gf and I went.

It was so hot, pushing high 90s out in the sun before the opening act came out. So the first band comes out, a bluegrass quartet. They sounded great, real tight, beautiful. After about 15 minutes Merle said "I'd like you to meet my pa" and out comes Doc who sits up front. What happened next is forever blazed in my memory. Doc started playing some breakneck speed thing that had the greatest tone and his technique brought that tone out and knocked you upside your head. And then what he did with that great tone with the most articulate picking I had ever heard. Now that I knew who he was I heard his name everywhere.

Doc never lightened up on his almost overwhelmingness be it guitar or singing, fast or slow, he was just as powerful in all styles. He got a huge encore and came and sang something like Shadygrove, again a huge ovation the people wanted more and they said no, the show must go on.

It was even hotter and everyone realised they were sunburnt like crazy,,, and Gordon Lightfoot comes out. I felt real bad for him, there was no way he was going to get up there where Doc was, so everyone exited. When my group walked out there was like 1/4 the people still sitting, Doc literally wore the people out with his amazingness. We talked about the exodus on the way home.

I saw Doc around 20 times, once solo. All I can say is he was one of "them", the best of the best level.

stinkey and GoldieLocks like this.
  10. allthatjazz

allthatjazz Tele-Meister

Julian Lage, I find grossly overrated. Not sure how he finds his way in this thread.

11. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

Well that's your opinion. I put him in the thread because imo he is awesome, AND he is a very nice guy and I've never heard him put anyone down, especially in a public situation like this.

burtf51 likes this.
  12. allthatjazz

allthatjazz Tele-Meister

I wasn't trying to insult you or your taste. I wasn't singling you out. I did say, "I find". It is my view.

Maybe make a case for why he deserves mentioning in a thread on flatpicking.
    Also, his likeability as a person has little to do with whether I like his music. I don't really understand what you mean by the last part of your second sentence. This is a thread on the internet.

You should have stayed for Lightfoot. You may have got to see Red Shea.

13. allthatjazz

allthatjazz Tele-Meister

You also did ask, perhaps rhetorically, if we like it.

stinkey likes this.
  14. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

There is a difference between criticism and critique. A good critique is not subjective, it should be objective, which is not personal feelings rather just the simple facts. In doing that we avoid pushing someone's buttons.

Now as far as Julian moving you, yea that's 100% subjective and totally fine. It's fine to not be moved by Julian. Julian is a flat picker, crosspicker, and hybrid picker in his acoustic playing. It is impossible to segregate these skills I would confidently assume. But if the criteria for posting in this thread is that the player must only be 100% flatpickers, then I would be guilty of violating the rules. And to that I'm sorry.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  15. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

You're suggesting I make a case for Julian being in this flatpicking thread?

Just listen to him, he IS as fine a flatpicker as anyone in this thread, AND his fusion of jazz and blues into bluegrass is unexplored territory.

Now your turn, give your argument why Julian is not appropriate for this thread. I'm really curious as to what you might say. Don't worry, I'm not mad at you and I will not be mad. I find our opposition as a fun exploration of two musical opinions.

16. allthatjazz

allthatjazz Tele-Meister

After hearing his 'Red Prairie Dawn'', I can reconsider.

As for "just listening to him", that's sort of our problem. It comes down to note selection and technique for me. He is generally way too liberal and tending towards jazz and other genre styles in this regard. I strongly associate flatpicking and crosspicking with bluegrass, certain standards and motifs or licks. I have a more conservative view perhaps.

17. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

back to regular scheduled program and I sure would love to play one of those PT’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

I definarely can understand that, however I see it as a new generation of pickers.

No, Julian, according to himself is not a traditional bluegrass player, he says that he is very fortunate to play with great bluegrass players. And no doubt his jazz tendencies do creep through. That doesn't bother me, I find it like new blood in bluegrass, but it could be difficult if as a listener you really wanted to hear traditiional.

It's good to know more about you, thanks.

19. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

What do you think of Chris Eldridge, Chris Thile and The Punch Bros?
    Thile can smoke on bluegrass and then turn around and play some Paganini.

stinkey likes this.
  20. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

This is Bill Monroe's Bluegrass Breakdown, it features the whole band and the amazing Chris Thile,

bromdenlong likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.