Flatpicking

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by burtf51, Jun 18, 2019.

1. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

I've always admired the art of flatpicking since first hearing Doc Watson many many years back and there have been so many that were deeply influenced and taken the art to a myriad of levels. I have a hard time understanding why some people look at the art of flatpicking/crosspicking etc as some sort of cornball music...all I can say is it's their loss. I could have posted any one of a multitude of tunes, choose Carl for this not only because he's such an accomplished player and Lady Be Good has always been one of my thousands of favorites. So clean and precise playing...

2. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

Since everyone here just loves this sort of picking, how bout Zeb here....downhome guy

3. ronkmd

ronkmd TDPRI Member

Molly Tuttle!

4. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

Molly yep she teethed on the right thing. I really like the stuff her and Daddy Jack did when she was younger and The Goodbye Girls oh yes, and something about Allison De Groot on banjo...her love is infectious...love them all

5. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

and don't see much mention of sister AJ, young here but what a great job and voice on Parson's tune...

6. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

When the bluegrass purists take over, many of whom do not really understand what bluegrass is anyway, it gets obnoxious, but players like Molly, who are musicians rather than stunt artists or aggressors, remind us that bluegrass was created in modern times as an expressive form, not a gymnastics event -- though Molly can play just incredibly.

7. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Great pickin'!

8. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Just to clarify, AJ is not her sister. AJ played with Molly (and Molly's brothers and Molly's father) for many years out of California as "The Tuttles and AJ Lee".

AJ is now playing in a band with Sullivan Tuttle (one of Molly's younger brothers) in a band called "AJ Lee and Blue Summit".

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  9. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

Well I'll be darn, I guess I don't know everything...but I have listened to AJ Lee and Blue Summit, does that count for anything...but then Merle said...and there may be two kind of sisters..

There's two kind of lovers and two kind of brothers,
    And two kind of babies to hold.
    There's two kind of cherries and two kind of fairies,
    And two kind of mothers I'm told, and told

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Junkyard Dog likes this.
  10. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

This guy recently came up on my feed and I clicked. It sent me down a rabbit hole of bluegrass flatpicking.

Can't lie, I saw his name, scoffed, and thought you better be damn good to call yourself that. Well he lives up to his name and more.

Molly Tuttle is amazing, too, so masterful and smooth. Billy Strings has an equally impressive style that is more fiery. Great to see this new generation keeping the music alive. Inspiring players!

11. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

i tend to forget there's a lot of rocker's here, carry on...

suthol and Tommy Biggs like this.
  12. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

13. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I saw Tony Rice once and was just amazed at his playing. I've tried to learn what I can from this vid - I'll keep trying

bromdenlong, ASATKat, matrix and 2 others like this.
  14. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

Davis is a mighty fine player...it's a whole new ballgame when you attempt flatpickin' and melody playing, just hit a one bad note, ouch

matrix likes this.
  15. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Tony Rice
    David Grier
    Russ Barenberg
    Norman Blake
    Dan Crary
    Bryan Sutton

There was a time - a long time - when those gentlemen were all that mattered on the guitar to me. Probably still six of my 25 favourite guitarists of all time, across all genres.

Atiron, mrmousey and historicus146 like this.
  16. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Holic

Right there with you … 70s and 80s...cross pickers...great stuff...Clarence White
    Winfield KS, etc....

matrix and stinkey like this.
  17. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

That would be the definitive list, except you left off the obvious #1 that vaulted flatpicking to national prominence (even though its been around since the 20's, and he often borrowed material from those sources). Ye who's name remains out of sight, was more about music than gymnastics too, yet could drag race with the best of them for decades.

matrix likes this.
  18. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

the name I started the post with and who I spend most my time studying the foundation with doc...do you guy's think...say in Sutton's case where he is now that you hear more of TR influence in his playing...which they've all developed their own take on the form

19. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Funny thing...If I was making that list with respect for the music's history, who I think the top 7 are...it would have to be slightly different. Doc would have to be number 1. But I was naming off who I personally listened to, non stop, through the 90s and into the 2000s.

I have listened to a lot of Doc over the years, and love him as a folk musician. But the music that gives me that real 'thrill' when I want to listen to flatpicking...well, it is a CD of one of those other guys I listed that I put on.

I don't really understand what the difference is in my reaction. Norman Blake's style seems at least as "old school" as Doc, but my emotional reaction is different. When I hear Norman, I want to grab my guitar. There was a time I could hardly ever make it through the "Whiskey Before Breakfast" album without ending up playing.

I realize that my taste in this matter is indefensible under flatpick guitar ideology.

Anyway, just for kicks, here is my list of top 10 flatpick guitarists, factoring in influence and innovation, and trying to put it in order as well:

1. Doc Watson
    2. Clarence White
    3. Tony Rice
    4. Norman Blake
    5. Dan Crary
    6. George Shuffler
    7. David Grier
    8. Charles Sawtelle
    9. Russ Barenberg
    10. Bryan Sutton

Debate on that list invited!

20. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

definitely all great pickers...one thing they all had/have in common is they all started with the foundation or I could say docdation and went on to develop their own take on the genre as with all the truly great players in any genre...and as Tony said "I don't care to listen to anyone trying to sound like someone else"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.