Flat Pedalboard- Do you use them?

Big Twang Theory

Tele-Meister
So I decided to put together a small(ish) flat pedalboard. I mean totally flat, no lift off the ground with everything routed on top. Does anyone else use these? I've always like the clean look of them when I see them. All my other boards are a bit bigger, and angled boards. I don't like the look of meat messy boards with cables sticking out everywhere. (I mean in regards to MY boards. Whatever works for everyone else is cool.) And so the cable management involved in the flat ones is what has kept me from trying it. Plus on my bigger boards for my main band, I'm always swapping out pedals. But I've looking to make a smaller board for a jazz trio thing I'm doing lately and the pedals on this will stay as is (maybe swapping out the one dual overdrive.)

So I am giving it a try and holy crap is it a time consuming job. Have the pedals and power supply laid out and velcroed down. Just now finished cutting my power cables to length and soldering them. This seems like that will be the most time consuming part. Now time to cut and build audio cables.

Would love to hear your opinion on your experience and see pics of your flat boards!

Cheers,
Cody

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
PXL_20220409_175716792.jpg

joe_cpwe

Tele-Afflicted
Mine is totally flat. This photo is a few years old but hasn't changed too much. It's a case similar to this, but different maker and I found mine on eBay. To be fair I'm mostly stepping on the Vox, the TS-9 and the boost along the bottom.

After about a year of use I added a thin sheet of plywood to raise the pedals up enough for the the jacks to clear the metal edge. In the upper right corner is a junction box I built with instruction from Vertex to run 4 cable method (which I no longer do but the box is still in place for all the wiring.

Pedalboard 4 20201128_sm.jpg

Vertex box instruction

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
I have two different pedal boards, each one is just a piece of poplar I got cheap at home depot th n painted black and put Velcro on. I decided to get fancy and use some cabinet handles on the sides to pick them up easier. Cost about $20 a board and took about 30 minutes
Mine have all been homemade with scrap wood, mostly pine left over from household project. For cases, I always manage to find something at Goodwill or in the trash. I doubt I've ever spent more than $5 on a board, which is my excuse, as if I needed one, for splurging on booteek pedals.

I don't use velcro. I just drill holes in the board and put some insulated wire around each pedal and into the holes. A quick twist underneath ties and unties each of 'em.

I usually paint 'em flat black, but I did a snazzy acrylic paint job on my latest electric board. Haven't gigged with it because I haven't played electric since before the Coronocaust. High hopes, though!

Last edited:

Jeru

Tele-Holic

I hear what you're saying and respect your thoughts on flatness -- your board looks really nice.
For me, the PT Metro is plenty flat and I like that the newer power supplies will fit underneath.
As my gigging frequency has increased, I have worked to get all the stuff that I want to have
into a small/effective package where I can still stomp on one thing without inadvertently hitting
another and also that travels well.

2022.07.12 - JR Effects 2.jpg

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Afflicted
I've only had flat pedalboards so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. But that said, I keep things pretty small. Often the pedalboard sits on top of the amp for me to twiddle knobs as required anyway. I don't change effects very often mid song and use the volume/pickup options at hand instead.

telel6s

Tele-Afflicted
Yep. I've never settled on just one set up for pedals. Between new pedals, different types of gigs/bands, electric/acoustic guitars, etc. it's always been easier for me to keep all the cables on the top. Much much easier for switching things around that way. The black painted pegboard unit I built in 2005 or 2006. Other than a couple of scrapes, it's as good as the day I built it.

August 2006:
1663707437577.png

November 2018:
1663707486673.png

September 2019 (acoustic outdoor gig):
1663707553290.png

And a smaller board that I've had for about four or five years. There's a 1x1 under the front edge to angle things a bit towards my feet. Fancy, I know.:
1663707639455.png

Attachments

• 1663707516708.png
    1663707516708.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 16

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
And a smaller board that I've had for about four or five years. There's a 1x1 under the front edge to angle things a bit towards my feet. Fancy, I know.:

This works for me. A flat board without routing underneath is fine. But I do like small piece of wood under the front edge to give it a little angle.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Mine are angled mainly so the wall wart(s) is/are hidden and protected and to keep things a bit tidier. I REALLY like a switcher.

PEDALBOARD2.jpg