Flame Neck, Tru Oil or Not? Strat Build.

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Phrygian77, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

So, looking at the Warmoth stuff during my last Tele build, I saw these and had to have them. Stupid.

sn27109B.jpg

PS14389A.jpg

I frickin' love the body. It's a keeper. The neck was pricey, and not as great as looking when I got it in raw, obviously because they wet it down for the photos. It's modern, with a straight 10" radius and thin 'C' shape, 1-11/16", just what I wanted, expect the modern construction. I did Tru Oil on my last neck, which I like the look of of, and I know will complement the roasted flame nicely, but I honestly don't like the feel of it as much as raw. It'll get dirty looking quickly also without a finish. No naphtha on earth will fix that.

I was originally thinking vintage modern construction, non-roasted birdseye, with maybe a little straw dye, and Tru Oil. Now, I'm not sure if I should custom order a neck, or roll with it. Maybe use this one for different build.

I'm liking this body also for a 2 humbucker based build....

https://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/Sh...Stratocaster&lamTop=26&i=PS13172#.XfcwP-jYq00

jim777, Chunkocaster and stormsedge like this.
  2. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow! That's simply over the top amazing. I'm seriously lusting after that neck...

Phrygian77 likes this.
  3. Phrygian77

That was my problem, lust. I saw it and it met most of spec requirements.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

What about the feel of TruOil on the neck do you not like? I've done two Warmoth necks with TruOil, and in both cases, used a light rubbing with steel wool after the final coat. That way, there's no "drag" from a glossy surface......slick as snot. BTW, one neck is maple, the other mahogany. I didn't use any grain filler on the mahogany, so it has a VERY LIGHT texture from the wood pores. I love the mahogany the best!

Phrygian77 and Chunkocaster like this.
  5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The answer is always yes to tru oil.

I have a couple of high gloss tru oil finished necks and they are slick with no drag.
    My hand has polished them up even more on the back since I finished them.
    I have pretty hard hands though from work, not sweaty or soft.
    Because tru oil is so easy to use and does the best job of highlighting the grain of any other product it would be a shame to not use it on a flame neck like that.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    nojazzhere and Phrygian77 like this.
  6. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

I've used three roasted maple necks from Warmoth. The first two I burnished by sanding up to 2000 grit after reading a few threads on it on the Warmoth forum. Those necks are both awesome and ridiculously smooth. The last one I got had some really great figuring so I decided to put just 3 or 4 coats of tru oil on it and it really doesn't feel much different, but it did make it pop a bit more. 2019-05-22 16.44.01.jpg

nojazzhere, bender66 and Phrygian77 like this.
  7. Phrygian77

I did about five coats of Tru Oil on my Tele neck. Going for the more glossy look...

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/new-black-52-meets-70s-tele-build.991462/

It feels best with some carnauba wax on it, but it still drags more to me than my raw necks. I feel like I'm fighting with it. I've gotten somewhat used to it though. It think it will get better with time.

That was my first try with Tru Oil. I guess I could do a more satin like finish. I've got 00 and 0000 grades of 3M Scotch Brite (grey and white).

Chunkocaster and nojazzhere like this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

This Paulownia body is from Guitar Fetish. It had noticeable "grain" unfinished, and TruOil really accentuated it. People who've seen it always comment on how nice it looks.....I like to see their faces when I tell them it was a $40 clearance body. ;) Vox 132.JPG

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It looks good in the pics in that thread link.
    Polish does help. When I first finish mine the final step it to polish with Gibson pump polish. I do around 25 plus coats on the headstock and that feels slick too.

On a roasted neck like that which I also have I would just do two coats on the back of neck to seal it and whatever is needed to achieve the gloss /semi gloss or satin finish you want on the rest of the neck.

This relic roasted flame neck is high gloss 25 coats on the headstock with 2 coats on the back of neck.
    The decal was thick so I had to keep coating to bury it. I usually wet sand with micro mesh if I want a perfect glass finish. This was a relic neck so I didn't take it all the way to get a perfect finish.

If I wanted to take this finish back to satin or flat I could just use micromesh to dull it down to whatever level of sheen I like but the decal must be buried well or you could easily sand through and mess it up.

20190603_140053.jpg
    20190603_135933.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Torren61, Phrygian77 and nojazzhere like this.
  10. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

2 maybe 3 coats of TO & it will still feel raw imo.

I like the look of a soft satin or matte flame on a neck.

Is it the thin C profile that you consider modern?

11. Phrygian77

No, I like the thin 'C' and straight radius. I'm just not a big fan of the modern truss rod construction. Although, I don't think it really makes a significant difference in tone.

12. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Meister

I've used tru oil a lot and have never has any issues with it feeling sticky. It's fast and smooth in my opinion. Dries hard as a rock too. I prefer it to any other finish. It's also easy to apply, you're not spraying, dealing with fumes.

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  13. Phrygian77

First coat of Tru Oil...

IMG_20191219_144808.jpg IMG_20191219_145233.jpg

esetter and RiversQC like this.
  14. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

My Strat has a really nice neck but a previous owner sanded the back pretty much bare. Haven't tired to put anything on it because I love the feel but I'd sure like to pretty it up a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Phrygian77

Is it getting the dirty look? It's hard to tell from the picture. If it is, than it'll still show through the finish. That's the problem I have with my roasted maple neck on my Esquire. I only put a couple of coats of danish oil on it. Now, the fret board is very dirty. Doesn't bother me too much since it's kind of a relic style anyway.

I'd hit it with some 00 steel wool, or the grey 00 grade Scotch Brite, then a couple of coats of Tru Oil. It's pretty forgiving stuff. It just takes a while to cure. Then 0000 grade and follow up with some carnauba wax.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.