1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

fixing surface scratches

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by LucasT, Jun 7, 2012.

1. LucasT

LucasT TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

i have an opportunity to pick up a strat pretty cheap, but it has some funky scratching on the front. not through to the wood, but pretty noticeable. my question is how would i go about "fixing" this? I am picking this up to eventually mod to a gilmour clone (approximately), so I want to keep it black. can i just lightly sand out the scratches and then clear coat the front or is it a bigger job than that? do i have to do the whole body with poly (its a MIM mid-90's so I am assuming poly -- is that right)? the back has some buckle rash, but that's fine with me and I would leave it alone if that works.

I've never refinished (or finished, for that matter) a guitar, so I don't want to get in over my head on this even for the great price.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this!!! Here's a couple of pics (hopefully they upload correctly -- this is my first time posting pics):

Attached Files:

2. justin72deluxe

justin72deluxe Tele-Meister

Looks like you could wet sand with 1500-2000 grit and Polish it out. I'd go ahead and disassemble the guitar and Polish the whole thing. Study up, Google is your friend. :)

3. ludashoeless

ludashoeless Tele-Afflicted

mojo!

4. LucasT

LucasT TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Thanks for the quick reply Justin and the encouragement. I actually am now running through threads and googling stuff too. Just posted because I need to make a decision on buying or not in the morning. Leaning towards going for it. Maybe the mojo will win out and I'll never get to the polishing...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.