Fixing my bass guitar tuners

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by heshan, Mar 13, 2018.

1. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

Hi guys.
    I have this bass guitar, a Squier, and the tuners were upgraded to Schaller tuners. I was playing it for a while before I noticed that the bushings (I think thats what they're called) have not been fitted flush with the headstock.

I don't have a known guitar tech that I go to, and I'd like to do it myself. I don't have many tools, but is there a way that I could fix these properly?

I know I'll have to remove the tuners and then knock them into place, but is there a better way to do it than to user some heavy tool to knock them in?

I'm attaching pictures so you get an idea. The 4th string tuner is the worst one, that's sticking out a lot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Those ferrules are just a press fit.. I'd loosen the string tension a bit and use a thin wooden dowel of some sort and a hammer to tap it down flush by working around the edges....:)

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

You can use a C Clamp to press. But check previously if the hole doesn't have any notch inside which could prevent the bushing to go all way down.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  4. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

Thanks guys. I don't mind restringing if necessary. But I don't have access to (and don't know how to use) a C clamp or such stuff. I could definitely use a dowel or something and hammer it in if that works!

5. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

I just use a hard wood block and a hammer.

6. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

Hard wood block against the back of the headstock, and the hammer directly onto the ferrules?

7. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Nooo!
    Hardwood block between hammer and ferrules.

heshan likes this.
  8. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well-Padded block behind the headstock before pounding, using hardwood block.
    Check that ferrules can be pushed down without splitting the headstock. Should be a recess for them, or the holes tapered for a good tight fit, but not requiring a full-on bashing to force them flush.
    Best thing you could find is that the ferrules are actually finger-loose, and you can push them down by hand. Then you can CA (Super) glue them in.

C-clamp operation is very technical, but most can be trained to operate them. Turn right to tighten, turn left to loosen. You would not need a very large one, maybe $ 3-5.

This one is $3 at Walmart and should be perfectly adequate.
    F8EE0D75-2789-4A76-89CC-7BEF3F44542D.jpeg

9. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

+1 on Stratenstein, especially the in depth technical insight on c-clamp operation!

Lake Placid Blue and heshan like this.
  10. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Each topic here contains a mix of funny comments and technical advices. Love this forum...

heshan likes this.
  11. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I wouldn't risk taking the small tuner screws out for a small task like tapping it down...... breaking one of those off will cause you a new nightmare... it can/does happen .... the ferrule is usually steel, the screws might be crap brass...

the ferrule must be a bit loose in the hole anyway... easier to tap it down while in place.... if the ferrule was a good tight press fit on assembly it wouldn't work it's way up like it has....

maybe I'm just lazy....:rolleyes:

I've just built a bass and two of the pre drilled ferrule holes were a drop in fit. I had to build up the inside faces with wood glue/dust to give the ferrules something to bite into....

a wood block and a light hammering seated them fine.....

ferrule fix.jpg

DSCN1377.JPG

heshan likes this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Either remove tuner completely, then lightly tap on ferrule.....OR use a small socket that will fit OVER tuner shaft and rest on ferrule and (again) LIGHTLY tap to see if it will go down.
    OR.....leave it alone and use the time to practice....:)

heshan likes this.
  13. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the responses, everyone :) I have a pretty good idea of what to do now. Including how to use a C-clamp! Haha. I'll get a C clamp and give it a shot over the weekend, hopefully.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  14. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

that is about where finger strength can push a typical ferrule before it needs to be gently tapped in. I'd take the tuners off, support the back of the headstock with one block and either use a mallet (hard plastic or rubber) or a block of wood and a hammer to tap it in. If a couple of taps doesn't to it, you may need to ream (file with a rat tail or round file) the hole. Go slow if you file, a half dozen strokes then try again.

I think tapping will get those in, my MII neck wasn't accepting the MIC bushings for love or money until I reamed the holes.

15. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

I do prefer to have bushings that go all way inside the wood with just the pressure of finger (and them use a small drop of glue, if needed) than have to use brute force. I always had bad results when tried to behave like an ogre... Two headstocks broken made me learn that a file is a better tool than a hammer.

16. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

Thanks for the tips. Still didn't have time to get to it, unfortunately. Will have a go over the next few days

17. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

You’re getting some bad advice. Just face the facts, something’s wrong with your bass. Time to buy a new one. That’s what I tell my wife anyways. “ Honey, the strings on my Telecaster are a little dirty. I’d better go buy a new Tele. Wouldn’t want to get hurt playing a defective one
    Let us know how it goes.

heshan likes this.
  18. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

So it turns out the bushings are actually too loose, as some of you guessed above. The guy who had installed the tuners had wrapped it in some kind of tape, and that makes it just about finger-loose. But still loose enough to come out when the strings apply tension, I guess

What's the best option here, do I superglue them in? Or 'paint' the bushing sides with glue to make it thicker? I don't mind glueing it in coz I don't see myself ever changing tuners on this guitar again!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  19. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

I ended up just popping it back in, and deciding that I can live with it. Lol. It seemed firmer now (I only took out the 4th string) and it's not really a big deal. Thanks for all the advice :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.