Fixing Finish air pocket on side of string nut.

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by highwaycat, Sep 28, 2020.

1. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Holic

CACBD2BA-6E70-421D-A366-D1DA3AB0DAE3.jpeg How would you fix this air bubble? It moves slightly when I press it.
    I want to upgrade the nut but want to fix the finish.
    The binding has a thick layer of finish.

2. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

It's hard to see what's going on from that picture but I would try to wick some thin superglue under the finish and press it down

I'd use the water-thin superglue and apply it just as a single drop--put some on a toothpick and let it wick in.

Have something handy to press the finish down--something other than your finger.

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

If you're considering replacing the nut, do that first and then address the finish issues.

4. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Holic

I touched a q-tip with naphtha and it looked like it blended well while wet.
    It’s a clear separating from the black paint. Black paint seems fine and intact.

edit pictures

730EA3CD-B8BA-448C-A161-AA36C01B64FB.jpeg D9B165DD-524D-4760-AA0F-8C7794195002.jpeg

5. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Holic

I have sheets of teflon I could cut up and hold glue. I’m out of super glue I have fish and wood glue.

What about future sealing the sides of the nut?

6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

The pictures are really hard to tell anything. If the finish is nitro (I doubt it is) you can drop fill with more nitro. If it is poly (probably) you can drop fill the clear coat with medium CA and if its into the black you can get black CA from StewMac or GlueBoost. You can level scrape CA with a box cutter blade, level sand it with 800 or 1000 grit and buff with compound. If you need instructions look at GlueBoost's web site.

I would remove the nut, do all the finish repairs, then make the new nut

7. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Holic

Thanks I’ll try super glue. I already made a bone nut for it didn’t glue it though.

8. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

When you finally install the nut just put two very small drops of glue (I usually use medium CA) on either the bottom or the side that abuts the fretboard. You want to hold it in place so it doesn't fall out but you want to be able to easily knock it out in the future without damaging the slot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.