Fixing Echoplex EP-3 warble?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by gnd567, Feb 18, 2020.

1. gnd567

gnd567 Tele-Meister

I've been using an EP-3 for a couple of years now and it's been sounding great. It was in pretty good condition when I got it. But recently, the repeats have started to become very warbly and out of tune sounding which I don't like at all as I mainly use it for slap back echo. I have a new tape on the way but was wondering if it may be the rubber roller needs replacing or something else?

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

2. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Holic

Head cleaning.
    Roller rubber.
    New tape.

Alamo likes this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

These units have electrolytics that need replacing just as our amps do. I have an EP3 that I need to overhaul since it was non-operable when I bought it.

codamedia likes this.
  4. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

Don't forget to demagnetize the heads and the capstan. Make sure you bring the demagnetizer towards and away from the parts very slowly.

99% isopropyl alcohol is good with some cotton swabs. New roller can't hurt. Sort of expensive, but it will last a long while. Don't forget to clean the roller as well. Frankly, I think dish soap and warm water is fine. There are rubber "conditioners" for sale if you want to get fancy. Try not to use anything that will dry it out.

I would advise against using the abrasive mastering tape as you risk wearing little grooves into the heads.

Wally likes this.
  5. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

Duplicate

6. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Warble on old tape machines of any type is referred to and measured as "wow and flutter".
    It is common (to some degree) on all tape machines, but when it is not longer a tolerable amount, there are several culprits.

Any/All of these could be contributing to the problem.
    1. Stabilize the motor assembly.
      • As Wally states above, these old unit are more than due for new electrolytics, and that will go a long way in assuring the motor stays stable.
      • I believe the EP-3 is belt drive. If the belt is worn, wow and flutter increases. It is also important to keep every location the belt is in contact with clean.
    2. The pinch roller and capstan are another source for "wow and flutter". These must be kept clean. If they are worn out, they need to be replaced.
    3. Although I agree with those above that say "clean the heads".... that is a tone thing, not usually a source for wow and flutter.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Wally likes this.
  7. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

Good advice already so I won't repeat. I sent my EP-2 off to a guy who's supposed to be the best at service & restoration on Echoplex's. To say I was less than thrilled with his work was an understatement. Be careful who you let work on it.

8. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

9. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

How bad is it, compared to this one?

Perhaps you should do a recording of your EP3 in its current state, just for comparison.

10. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

I had one given to me about 40 years ago,not working..Then about 10 years ago I decided to get it repaired..
    Found a place on line (think it was in AZ) with good reviews..
    They completely restored it to better than new at a good price..
    It sounded great..
    Sold it for $1200..

11. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Hey Papa Joe, do you recall if the place you sent it was Orbitz Electronics? I have one of their metal tape cartridges and it is great, but I’ve never used them for service.

OP, here is a link to the Orbitz site. They have a page with info and maintenance tips for these units.

Good luck!

http://www.orbitelectronix.com/

12. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Hmmmm, I’d always thought that that sound was supposed to be part of the charm of the echoplex.

13. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

I do believe that's the place..Great service..

14. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm guessing it's the roller, typical of tape machines, they get old, hard, out of round. But try a new tape first.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.