1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fixing a nitro finish... and everything else from an MJT build.

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by [J.K.], Jul 21, 2017.

1. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Tele-Meister

Hey all, I know this is a common topic, and I've looked through some old threads, but I thought I'd create a new one anyway.

Long story short, I ordered a white blonde Beck-style Esquire body (no heavy wear, though) from MJT recently, and the side of the guitar has some really bad finish on it that's bothering me. It's disappointing to say the least, considering I just got it.

Anyway, I was wondering what the best approach would be to evening it out. My initial impulse was to try and use some thinner to even it out, but I've never worked with that before, so I don't know how detailed you can be when using a thinner. I also have some paint that's just slightly off, and I considered trying to blend it in and isolate the spot with a clear coat (or maybe a slightly tinted coat to darken the lighter paint), but that seems equally prone to problems.

I think part of the issue is that I asked for only the sanded edges to be bare wood, but they painted the whole guitar and then had to go back and strip the paint from the sanded contours (even though I modeled the exact look in a picture just to be sure), so there's also some odd areas where the paint blends into the contours and looks really cheap.

I've attached a picture of the top part. I'd like to just fix this myself if I could, but the whole affair has been rather frustrating, especially after getting such a nice baked maple neck that I was excited to put to use.

Any tips/tricks?
    Would thinner help with the touch-up, or would it make it worse?
    Or is there a place that sells a finish that looks close to the white blonde color (I've only seen it sold on European sites).

Thanks!

IMG_0958.JPG

Here's the belly cut where you can see how the paint blends in to the cut area. I find it a bit unseemly, as it takes away from the crisp look of the cut that I find appealing. I know that's nitpicking, but... I feel like I didn't really get what I paid for.

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

EDIT: The holes for the neck plate on the back of the body (and the neck) also don't line up. Is this even worth bothering with anymore?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

IMHO, all of the 'new relic' finishes on tells I have seen are inexpensive finishes. That is one secret.....it is easy and quick to finish a body so that it doesn't look like a properly and well finished guitar. Now, what the Les Paul fanatics do to create checked lacquer finishes is another ballgame.....they have to do a quality finish and then start the 'aging' process. The 'open market' relic' telescope I have seen are finishes that can be done in a very short number of work time.....with no worries whatsoever, imho.
    Fwiw, with ash one is going to get that result you see there....even if the wear takes 25 years. Why? Because the grain is open and there can be considerable unevenness of the actual grain. If the guitar were alder, that wear pattern would look different there. I would play the guitar...beat it up some more.....rub it in the dirt..in short, I would not worry about it.

3. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Tele-Meister

That's the thing; it's not a "relic" finish otherwise. It's just one part that's flaking off. It looks like the finish isn't applied evenly, either. The other guitarI got from them was perfectly finished. This looks like it was pulled from the discard bin.

What I'm looking on is advice to fix the finish.

I have plenty of guitars that have been beaten (or used for beating, as per the case of one show with my previous d-beat crust band), but any performing guitarist knows there's a difference between road damage and poor craftsmanship.

4. Wally

Well....that IS a relic finish, ime. Otherwise it would have a good, even finish that is undisturbed after the clear coats were polished out.
    what they have done here is to apply the white and then apply a yellowed clearcoat over that white. When they took the relic process to it, the finish reveals the grain of the wood...so there is that high pints above the valleys tyep of thing. There is also a whiteness that shows up where the yellow clearcoat has been taken off in the relicing.

fix it??? Strip it and put a good finish on it???? OR.....play it.

Sorry if I am sounding a bit pointed on this one, but ime and imho this relicing is just this....it never looks correct until some natural wears makes it approach a 'natural relic' look.....and sometimes not even then. They just look like older guitars with inexpensive finishes on them.

5. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Tele-Meister

Oh damn, did I post in the "Deal With It" forum instead of the "Finely Finished" one again?

6. Wally

LOL.....nah...you just happened upon a pragmatist who has seen his fill of this type of inexpensive finishing....from more than one source. IMe, no one except you is gonna be worried about the look....just play it.
    Good luck with it.....

7. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Tele-Meister

Oh cool. The holes on the body for the neck plate don't line up, nor do the ones in the neck.
    Did I just get completely ripped off?

8. Wally

Do you mean that a 'normal' Fender type of neck plate does not align with the holes in the body. If so, that body should be rejected...sent back., imho. IF the neck plate lines up with the holes in the body and IF the neck plate is positioned as it should be on the body... but the neck holes are not in line, that is easily corrected. Drill to an appropriate size to be filled with dowels, glue in dowels, and then drill new holes in the neck that do line up.

9. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Tele-Meister

I just tried fitting the neck (Musikraft, standard heel width) in the joint and the wood started creaking as the paint flaked off. I give up.

10. Wally

J.K., it seems that things are rough for you today. To top it off,
    I am of little help to you. Have a beer and put it on my tab!!! (;^)
    Wally

CoyotesGator likes this.
  11. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Tele-Meister

Hah. I feel like I could use a drink, but I quit drinking about 7 years ago, shortly after college. I'm just going to have to cool off and wait to hear back on the email I just sent them. The last build I got from MJT and Warmoth was absolutely flawless. I don't know what happened on this one.

For illustration, a shaky phone video of the paint chipping when I first started trying to fit the neck:

12. Wally

I can't see that video....but.....take some measurements of the neck and the pocket. IF things are too tight by just the thickness of the paint....get some sandpaper and and little block of wood to use to take away paint form the sides of the pocket.

Oh....maybe some decaf tea for a cooling drink...or lemonade.....

13. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    The neck heel is tapered...as is the neck pocket.

It looks to me like the neck is a good centimeter away from the back of the pocket.

It is not going to fit that way.

:)

14. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Tele-Meister

Maybe not the best video, but I assume you: it doesn't fit.
    The holes don't align on the body, and they're even more off-center on the heel of the neck. It looks like they were drilled separately. The worst part is that they offered to drill it, so I told Musikraft to not put any holes in the heel, so now they're both kind of borked.

I'm not idly complaining. If this were any other company, whether it be Fender, Suhr, or even Squier, I feel like the quality wouldn't even be justifiably b-stock.
    FullSizeRender-4.jpg FullSizeRender-3.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  15. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Tele-Meister

For what it's worth, they also didn't send back the Gotoh bridge I shipped to them for measurements or whatever.

16. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

If the neck plate holes don't line up, that is definitely a legit return issue IMHO. MJT seem to be decent and fair business people, so I don't expect it would be a problem to return it and get another one.

17. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

That's no way to start a build. Send it back.

18. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

I agree.

I wouldnt want that one at any price.

19. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

To echo others send it back and get them to try again, they're a highly thought of company and they will probably do you right to keep their reputation together (or to be decent humans at least ;))

20. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Matt and Mark Jenny are two first class and honest guys....rather than torture yourself.....call Matt, tell him how you feel and what your concerns are....I'm sure they'll do whatever it takes to make you a happy camper....call and leave a message...Matt will call you back.....

RJ

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.