1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fixes for arthritis?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dobrojoe, Jun 5, 2017.

1. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

2. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've had it for years, and being treated for rheumatoid arthritis right now. I'm actually on two drugs: (very) low dose prednisone and low does methotrexate. It's day by day for me--some decent days, some days are kind of rough, and some are almost excruciating.

I am going to taper off the prednisone soon since it's nasty stuff and it doesn't seem to be doing much anyway. Unfortunately, the methotrexate takes months to have any effect. I'm about 2 months in.

I had no luck with glucosamine, fish oil, curcumin or herbals / 'natural' approaches. Nothing in my diet seems to matter.

Voltaren right? Smells wonderful--but does absolutely nothing for my pain. Glad it's helping you!

Believe it or not, what I've had the best success with is ibuprofen. It doesn't smash it, but it does help. The other thing that helps is a nice hot bath. If I had a hot tub, I'd probably live in that thing.

Has anyone here had luck with CBD and/or THC? I haven't tried, but am not optimistic it would work any better than anything else I've tried.

My arthritis had always mostly travelled my upper body, but for about the last 6 months, it's been in my feet, and it's been very consistent--I have not had a lot of "good" days during that timeframe. It is painful and it sucks.

Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  3. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

I finally went to a rheumatologist. He put me on Methotrexate.
    I take 8 of these tiny pills every Monday morning. It really works well for me.

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. Colo Springs E

How long have you been taking? Generally takes months to have any impact. Dont know if you're a drinker, but you probably know you should avoid alcohol.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  5. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Been about a year now, and no, I do not avoid alcohol at all.

BB likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The article does not mention what kind of arthritis he had.
    Rheumatoid arthritis is an immune disease.
    I have osteo arthritis, which is basically because I beat the hell out of my joints for 50 years!

It might have been helpful to include more science and medical info, like is it a fact that eating fish causes arthritis?
    Or maybe dosing on refined whey protein?

Certainly 100% down with controlled diet, but busted up parts just can't be fixed.
    Well OK knees and hips are replaceable!
    Spinal structure not so much, YET.

beagle likes this.
  7. telemnemonics

Glucosamine helps my elbows massively, like if I stop they ache all day and night, making every position almost unbearably painful.
    Not helpful for inflammation or immune problems, and not a pain killer, just a lubricant for damaged cartilage.
    I include fish oil and curcumin but only because they have properties that are beneficial, are cheap and harmless, and I just have no way to measure how much pain I'm supposed to be in on any given day.
    Can't tell if they help, though a month or so into curcumin I thought I might average out a little better?
    Or not.

I switched from 1200-1800mg of ibuprofen a day over to 400mg of naproxen sodium a day, for the cost and my liver & digestive system.
    Plus 2600mg of acetaminophen a day.
    My Doc is concerned about the damage I could do if over taxing other systems with the drugs.
    And the pain stays constant, at levels where only a bit of the day I'm able to really work for a living.
    Sucks because I love working!

8. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Me too. Thanks for the info Dr. Brookdale.:D

brookdalebill likes this.
  9. Colo Springs E

I was under the impression acetaminophen is the one that's rough on your liver?

10. telemnemonics

Not sure I recall correctly but I thought tylenol stresses the kidneys while advil and aleve stress the liver and stomach lining?
    My doc suggested less of each instead of more of one, to not demand too much of either organ.

11. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I don’t think a diet can fix that.

There is a lot of background info and science on that website, if you’re interested.

telemnemonics likes this.
  12. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

My thumbs hurt too from using my smartphone, because everyday I spend many hours on tdpri

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.