1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fixes for arthritis?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dobrojoe, Jun 5, 2017.

1. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I've had arthritis in my hands since I was 19, 40 years ago, following two motorbike accidents two years before. I think that the guitar is the only reason it isn't worse in my hands. My other joints, unfortunately, don't always allow me to play these days...

2. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

not all of them. In fact I've found two that are 1" at the first fret and very slightly over 1" at the 12th. Theres a model on allparts and warmoth; check it out, go see for yourself

MatsEriksson likes this.
  3. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

You've found two, that makes it most of them...? They haven't - so far - crossed my workbench.

Selective reduction, otherwise known as "Black Swan theory" :

1. The event is a surprise (to the observer). You've found two.
    2. The event has a major effect.
    3. After the first recorded instance of the event, it is rationalized by hindsight, as if it could have been expected; that is, the relevant data were available but unaccounted for in risk mitigation programs. The same is true for the personal perception by individuals.

4. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  5. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

A bunch of people, including myself, swear that these wrist stretches, 2 or 3 times a day, can greatly reduce pain and increase flexibility and strength. In my case, I went from worrying about carpal tunnel surgery to being virtually pain free. I'm a woodworker and carpenter, so I use my hands a lot.

This guy in the video didn't invent wrist stretches, but he includes all the ones that I've been doing. Pills, potions, and lotions? Never did much for me.
    Start gently, there's no reason to go for any extreme or painful stretching, just easy does it. Once it becomes a daily habit, you'll find yourself doing it without thinking about it.

The stories I've heard from other people indicate that 20 - 30 days of 3X per day, can make a profound difference. I do them every time before playing.

MatsEriksson and Wrong-Note Rod like this.
  6. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

That might be fine for you, but there's no way I could even attempt that. I'd need morphine.

7. Blue Bill

Ouch, man. Sorry to hear. I may be being irritatingly obtuse here, but could you even do teeny super gentle stretches, like a half inch of movement?

8. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Not if I want to use my hands for anything else in the next week. If I hurt my right wrist, I can't walk either, because I can't hold my walking stick. I also have arthritis in my neck, which interferes with a nerve and makes me feel like I'm sea sick. It's through my entire body, it's no fun, but the alternative sucks more.

9. Blue Bill

I'm so tempted to say, in a horrid attempt at humor, what a bad hand you have been dealt, but that would be inappropriate and crass.

I wish there was something I, or someone, could do to help you. Have you tried CBD?

10. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Nothing is going to fix it, it's only going to get worse.

It goes in phases, you get used to doing things a different way and learn how to control the pain. Then another joint joins the party. Rinse and repeat.

The only thing to do is laugh and carry on doing the things I love doing while I still can.

Blue Bill likes this.
  11. MatsEriksson

Yes, but it's mostly muscles soft tissue issue (?!) like carpal tunnel, tendonitis and stuff, the actual joint cartilage doesn't benefit from these stretches. In order to soften up and stretch muscles in fingers suitable for guitarist only I do these every now and then, or ever so often, not once in a blue moon:

Remember, nothing to do with actual arthritis at all, but muscles as such, which can cramp up, and you do get rid of stored lactic acid remnants. I do these before AND after playing...remember once more, lactic acid is a marker for reumathic arthritis.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0132695

https://medcraveonline.com/IJCAM/IJCAM-04-00116.php

Note, caveat emptor
    : The last one link, is an alternative medicine opinion, but nevertheless aims towards acids, lactic and the like. The first one is "real", not alternative, and I've included this one too, so we have a balance between quackwatch and proper peer-reviewed findings and research. The first one suggests too, that the second "alternative" one isn't that far out, anyway. Both finds lactic acid as a potential and important biomarker for RA. I e even if you train, running, or doing gym excercises. Lactic acid collects everywhere in the systems.

beagle likes this.
  12. MatsEriksson

And if you still don't believe me regarding that "bad habits" learned early on in any hand, both fretting and picking hand you can look what happened lately (since a few years back) to meticulous precision picker Steve Morse. A stickler for warming up all the time, and in spite of seemingly flawless technique, especially at picking hand, arm, he blames that he has to wear a wrist support these days on his picking hand, due to his harsh pick technique, and has had to woodshed and change his picking technique accordingly.

Of all people, one that everyone thought would be doing everything the right and proper way. To a tee.

Towards the last 7-5 minutes he goes into the wrist support and changes of routines. RSI syndrome, Repetitve Stress Injury. If you repeat your movements long enough without resting or doing it properly, it'll sooner or later bite you back. When I've always watched Steves pick technique I would go "Oh, I get lactic acid just from watching that..." and at that speeds too. Still one of my perennial all time favorites, in spite of this.

You can also read old interviews with virtuoso fingerpicker Leo Kottke. His colleagues said "If he continues playing it like that, he's going to hurt himself, and ... he sure did". Carpal, Tendonitits, RA, OA all of them line up in pretty rapid succession. Had to stop for several years, even in his youth.

https://web.archive.org/web/2008120...lidairrecords.com/AMR_interviews/kottke2.html

On that one, there's much food for thought.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Kottke#cite_note-mrnatural-5

chapter "Injury and new playing style".

beagle likes this.
  13. Twin52

Twin52 Tele-Meister

I have recently started using Penetrex and I do find some relief.

Doghouse_Riley likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My buddy says having a young girlfriend helps his arthritis. Only problem is, now he has torn muscles from holding his stomach in all of the time. That and keeping his belt tightened four notches.

15. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I've heard celery is useful. No evidence to support it , just heard it some years ago.

16. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

I was diagnosed about 18 months ago and it is progressing slowly. All the science says nothing works and there is only pain relief.

I keep moving, knees, hips and shoulders as much and as often as I can. I play a lot of guitar, hours every day so my hands are moving and this all helps. So far I have refused pain killers as I see this as a slippery slope and I'll put that off as long as I can. Different parts hurt different days, no reason to it, I just grit my teeth and say F*&K it, so far this has worked.

Runs in my family so I knew it was coming. If I can still play to a good standard and still ride my motorcycle in 6 years, well that'll be great.

beagle likes this.
  17. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

Psoriasis arthritis (PA) here. I used Methotrexate for about 8 months, then autoseparated it because of unbearable nausea. I've been without medication for several years, but I use iboprofen for the pain from time to time. The PA is unpredictible, and can manifest itself overnight and disappear after a week (without so much as a "goodbye"). It's also asymmetrical; left ancle, right wrist etc.

18. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Two years on from my last post in this thread, I'm still doing the same. Some days are better than others, but most days I can still play.

Cesspit and Weazel like this.
  19. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

My father took apple cider vinegar as a drink & felt it gave him greater mobility

20. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Well, it is a laxative...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.