1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fixes for arthritis?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dobrojoe, Jun 5, 2017.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thanks for the heads up!
    I'm not there yet but it,'s good to know.

2. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Anyone have success with acupuncture and arthritis?

3. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

good luck my friend.

father time has put the whammy on my fretting hand in the last year, probably because I'm playing a lot more.

Like you my index finger is suffering. I havent found a damned thing that helps. Docs and friends tell me, just take Aleve before you play but my stomach doesnt like Aleve.

Another doctor suggested another drug, mobic I think is the name of it. I havent tried it yet, you could ask your doctor.

other than that, I've tried many of the suggestions on this thread so far and very little has helped. The one thing that does help more than any other? Not playing guitar.

4. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

ibuprofen .. glucosamine .. ice the area

5. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) or Osteoarthritis (OA)? The course of treatment for each is different.

I have mild OA, and my doctor's advice is to keep moving. It keeps the joints mobile and lubricated. If you stop moving, it gets worse, very quickly.

RA is a totally different ballgame, because it's more of an immune response. Best to get it properly diagnosed, and come up with a treatment/management plan with your health care team.

El Tele Lobo and MatsEriksson like this.
  6. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Diclofenac 75MG Extended Release (Rx only) is the only thing that's worked for me.

7. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Glucosamine and Chondroitin are close to risk free but you should purchase branded products to be sure you're getting what the label indicates. Tumeric also helps. The NYS attorney general investigated a few years back and found some private label products where the contents did not match the label. NSAIDs aren't without risk but I find the lowest possible dose of Meloxicam (a generic prescription med) helps without noticeable side effects. I run hot tap water over my left hand if it feels stiff and that seems to alleviate some of the stiffness. My SG and my Simon and Patrick acoustic have chunky necks that are difficult to play some days. I play a lot of thumb over for open chords and a little bit of resonance in solos off of them so some days it's my Ovation acoustic or Gretsch electric or nothing.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I had an accident this summer where I slid down a rope too fast and a knot in the rope creamed my middle finger. I am thinking it may have induced some arthritis. Or, it may be a bone bruise, which can take months/years to heal. Or, could be scar tissue. Who knows?

Regardless, my knuckles in the finger bother me now regularly. My mother swears by acupuncture and it's only $28/session. I'm going to give it a whirl.

Another thing I have on hand from another injury which does work well for temporary relief is a product called Pennsaid. Try to get some samples from your doc to try. I was really surprised by it.

I already take fish oil, but I'm gonna try some G&C, too.

Scott

9. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Diet! Cut out everything with High Fructose Sugar & Aspertame. I gave up Coke 4 years ago & the difference in my hands is startling.

10. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Absorption is the key with turmeric. You can take pure turmeric and only 3% of the curcumin gets into your system. Find an extract with a corresponding absorbing ingredient like Superrock suggests.

And when you do feel better, get the hand squeezers going.

Superrock and telemnemonics like this.
  11. Ragnar

Ragnar TDPRI Member

This worked for me, so take that with a grain of salt...

I broke my back in the military, suffered numerous knee, shoulder and neck injuries over the years. I am getting into my late 40's and was really suffering from numerous ailments. Well, turns out I have an auto-immune thing going on and my body was basically attacking itself, starting with those old injuries. The arthritis was starting to become especially significant in my back and left ankle for some reason.

Long story short, my wife and I finally figured out that my diet was a significant cause of some of the symptoms of the disease. I cut out all sugar (fruit included), carbohydrates and alcohol. Immediate relief from the arthritis pain and all of my inflamation went away. I also dropped 35 pounds and my blood work is impeccable. I sleep better, think better and feel spiffy.

Some call it a paleo diet, low carb, natural whatever. I just know that I feel like I am 30 again. I eat no processed food and am starting to get my meat naturally, meaning I am either hunting myself or buying locally raised / sourced meats. No bones about it, it is not an easy lifestyle to get your self into, but man, is it worth it. I am not even tempted by alcohol, sweets or anything else because I know what it does to me.

Again, this is MY experience... may not apply to others.

12. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

Sorry to hear this. But! The only thing I've heard helps in both knees and fingers and hands and every joint is

1. Excercises, stretching, massaging, and tugging your fingers with the other hand (if you can, or let someone else do it). Finger stretching excercises. Keep warm. Room temperature should be over average, even in bedroom. I e you may be running around just in your beach shorts all of the time at home, otherwise you'll sweat.

PLUS (the above won't work without the below, the above is not good enough alone):

2. Combination of Glucosamine AND M.S.M. Buy the buckets used for horses and dogs. Placebo doesn't work on horses or dogs. But when dogs gets old they refuse to do stairs. Mix MSM in their food a couple of weeks, and all of a sudden, they do stairs again. Not just one or the other, BOTH of these. The buckets sold for horses are way cheaper and contains just MSM = Methylsulfonylmethane. Try pronounce that quickly after a beer or two, or spliff. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylsulfonylmethane

Can be bought as an ointment, skin cream too, if needed, but internal is best. It's not dangerous sulfur, it's what exists in food anyway, and it is as toxic as water...i e basically none. If you get too much of it, you'll just ...fart it out... so take care. Actually, overdosing is not recommened prior to any social activities.

Wait a month, maximum, and then you're slowly starting to feel it. Takes a while, no instant gratification here.

quote:

"Small-scale studies of possible treatments with MSM have been conducted on both animals and humans. These studies of MSM have suggested some benefits, particularly for treatment of oxidative stress and osteoarthritis, but evidence for other uses is lacking."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17516722

"Synergism of Methylsulfonylmethane and Glucosamine

There are findings from indian researchers that show an large improvement of symptoms like pain, inflammation and swelling in patients by a combined intake of MSM and Glucosamine."

Otherwise than that I agree with everyone else here. However, if any quack tries to sells you snake oil with MSM that it cures everything, like cancer, hiv/aids, or anything else take heed. And then some. Because there are people out there that do. It works solely and only for arthritis. And if it works, and sells dimes a dozen for horses, and dogs, well then, if it didn't work on them no one would buy it. You don't ask the dogs or horses, you just watch them starting to jump the hurdles again, and the dogs plays wildly again, and does... stairs. They fly up and down from them...

EDIT: It is not a cure for anything, you must continue the intake and added supplements for the rest of your life. It is only mitigating and pain relieving.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  13. bluenote23

bluenote23 Tele-Meister

Well no one has mentioned this yet. I used to take multi-vitamins. I don't exactly know what were in them but they were one of those that contain all kinds of vitamins in a single tablet.

At one point, I got soreness around the joints of my fingers. For some reason, I stopped taking the multi-vitamins. The soreness went away.

After, I would take B6, B12, Zinc and Magnesium supplements (for hearing difficulties) with no problem but I never took any more multi-vitamins.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  14. MatsEriksson

Cutting out all sugars as someone explained, helps too. You have fringe benefits too, of course, that may turn more important than the arthrithis in the long run. And instead of adding it, it costs nothing to AVOID something. It's free, nothing you have to buy.

15. MatsEriksson

This +1. Definitely. Word +1. For president.

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Can you suggest a product brand?
    I haven't learned how to spec out effective turmeric supplements, but cooked with it a lot and found no obvious benefit, presumably because it wasn't getting to the joints or whatever.
    I've used an awful lot of fixes and at some point concluded that my osteo-arthritis amounts to damaged parts that can't be fixed with a pill.

17. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

my wife has been giving me tumeric for some time, and I havent noticed any benefit at all,, with it or without it.

I think this is all like tinnitus..... different things work for different people.

El Tele Lobo and MatsEriksson like this.
  18. telemnemonics

I got acupuncture for a year and it didn't help, but I went to an acupuncture school where a student did the stabbing under supervision of a teacher.
    At the time my worst pain area was my neck, and the needles hurt and made me tense, which may have been as much a problem as any lack of efficacy of the treatment.
    I was getting extra tension pain from the treatment so any improvement in the bone pain was lost under the increased muscle tension pain.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

I've been taking G&C for many years though sometimes with and sometimes without MSM.

As I understand, it helps with joints padded with cartilege, but not with spinal joints padded with discs.

I had not read that the MSM was more important than the G&C though, where did you get that info? Are horses and dogs basically the same as people in terms of the arthritis and the meds?

20. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Yep, gotta keep moving. I don't understand it, but most times, keep doing the painful thing, and it becomes less painful. Totally counterintuitive, and I'm sure there are situations where this simply makes things worse, but for me, so far, it helps.

My left pinky hurts like a b*tch when I first start playing, but after a while, it just goes away. I also have pain in my left thumb, wrist, elbow, and my left shoulder takes my breath away sometimes. I'm pretty sure this is all related to guitar playing, so it's hard to understand how the cause is also the cure, but it seems to be. Fun fact: this all seems to be getting worse fast since I now play a lot less than I used to. So I'm going back to the woodshed for reasons other than chops.

I'm also getting relief in the shoulder by doing some yoga stretches the woman has been teaching me. Really simple movements, but effective. Again, the theme seems to be to keep it moving.

MatsEriksson, E5RSY and telemnemonics like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.