1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fixes for arthritis?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dobrojoe, Jun 5, 2017.

1. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

This growing old is hampering my playing and my warranty ran out years ago. I can hardly bend the forefinger on my left hand which makes playing some chords quite difficult. Does anyone have a fix for arthritic fingers? (just one so far).

MatsEriksson likes this.
  2. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've given up all soft drinks & anything with high fructose corn syrup. Did wonders for me. My wife takes glucosamine daily. She had developed a taste for Diet Pepsi but gave it up when her nuckles swelled from the aspartame.

MatsEriksson and koen like this.
  3. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

I am already a sugar-free zone so that's not the problem. Aspartame, maybe, but not much. I don't drink diet drinks, just a little Splenda Mini tablet in my coffee a couple of times a day.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Glucosamine helps me.
    I have arthritis in my right thumb.
    Kinda weird place for it, it makes me drop picks.
    Glucosamine and aspirin.

5. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sorry to hear about your arthritis problem. I just was recently diagnosed with it myself. If you haven't seen a Orthopedist, do so. They even specialized in areas of the body, like knees and hands. I ended up going, and got a Cortisone injection (hurts like the devil, had me howling). I also was prescribed a brace, and a ointment. It has helped. The last resort is joint replacement, I'll avoid that as long as I can. Good luck, hope you get some relief!

brookdalebill likes this.
  6. Kerberos

Mine is in my left thumb, gets aggravated when playing chords...Bummer with you dropping the pick

7. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Slide .Gods remedy for arthritis in guitarists.

johnny7, kuvash, dented and 3 others like this.
  8. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  9. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

@dobrojoe

I have arthritis in my back, and over a period of about 5 years my daily walking deteriorated from about 10km/day to about 2km/day on some days because of the pain. I grew very concerned that at the rate of deterioration, I wouldn't be walking at all by the time I was 70...assuming I get that far of course. The doc prescribed a pretty strong dose of voltarin, but there are pretty hard on the stomach so I researched other methods.

I won't get into a long post here, but my diet changed a lot. I now eat fish 4 or 5 times a week, and the best fish to eat is the naturally oily fish like tuna and salmon. I also eat the green lipped mussels which are rich in omega 3.....which is the main deal in the fish. I also eat 3 omega 3 fish oil capsules/day. I eat only full grain bread, and proper butter....none of this margarine stuff. I do take one glucosamine pill per day and tumeric features strongly as well. Lots of veggies like broccoli, cabbage, brussel spouts etc and stay away from too much red meat....and trim the fat off the meat. Cut back on the potatoes and eat more rice...but brown rice only, not white rice.

I swim twice a week and ride my bicycle when I can, and I walk for an hour every day, no matter the weather. Recently I packed a lunch in my little back pack and went walking for the day and I covered about 15km's with no big problems. Of course doing tasks like digging a hole or a lot of heavy lifting is best avoided, but by and large, the change of diet has made a hell of a difference to my mobility and general health.

It takes a while for the diet changes to be felt, but it does happen. It's very rare that I take voltarin these days.

I would suggest that looking at your diet is a big thing, and perhaps wearing fingerless woolen gloves will help too. I wear them and I play my acoustic with them on too!

Best of luck

Telecasterless likes this.
  10. Superrock

Superrock Tele-Meister

We are friends with a doctor couple who our kids go to school together, and they both take turmeric, and got us going too. Black pepper is a catalyst for uptake.
    Stuff is as good to me as ibuprofen, and I notice when I forget to take it. Also, soaking hands in a hot paraffin wax bath really does wonders.

11. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

I get joint pain in my right thumb. I swear by this stuff: Penetrex It's great for inflammation. It is arnica based. It's not a heat rub. It doesn't feel like much going on but after a little while I experience relief. I also use it for the chronic tendonitis I have in my shoulder.

Twin52 likes this.
  12. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

if its legal in your area cannabis is a great analgesic. A lot of body builders use it to releive soreness after a workout. If you live in a state that has medical marijuana you can ask someone to recommend a type that is good for joint pain.

Joint pain is a symptom of an overactive immune system or inflammation in your body. So things that treat inflammation should work well. Vitamin b12 might help.Tumeric is also supposed work well, plus its an anti-tumour agent.

I found that some supplements cause joint pain and soreness in fingers etc, Resveratrol and grape seed extract make my fingers and ankle joints hurt. Once I discontinued them the pain went away.

13. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

What timing. I was just about to post about something that helps a lot. I mean, very noticeable and quick relief. When I get this relief, my hands (or feet, knees, hips, etc.) become much more pliable. When I reach this point, I start with the massaging and stretching, which produces a very good response. Because of my illness (CIDP), I have a lot of muscle weakness and tightness that has been very difficult to address.

A month ago, I overdid it with a massager and tore some skin on one of my feet. I swore I would never let anything damage my feet due to my decreased sensitivity. Well, after 11 years of this condition, I finally screwed up. I went to the doc, who bandaged it up and then prescribed some cream to relieve the tightness. Whoa.

It's called Diclofenac Sodium Topical Gel. It's a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), and you have to be very careful about how much you use. It is quite powerful, and literal produces relief within a couple of minutes. The recommended treatment is to apply the stuff to the target area 4 times a day. This seems to be helping on a longterm basis, especially if I help it along with massage and stretching.

It doesn't appear to be recommended for regular, repeated use, day after day, although I will confirm this with my doc later this afternoon. So, with all of these caveats, I'd still like to recommend that anyone with problems caused by inflammation talk to their doctors about this. In my version of a pain-free utopia, I could see how many, many musicians and others who do fine work with their hands, would benefit by using it on a regular basis. Again, I don't think that it is meant to be used longterm like this, but, wow, it might be something to talk to your doc about. It is serious, quick-acting stuff, completely on a different level than any other cream I've used. While I am super-enthused by this discovery, I really have to say to proceed with caution.

kuvash likes this.
  14. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

I've heard that for mild arthritis eating avocados helps some. Also some joint supplements work better than others but it's up to the individual what works. I've heard good things about apple cider vinegar but haven't tried it yet.

15. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Keep moving, no matter how difficult, it's the only thing you can do. Drugs only do you more damage over time, all the herbal remedies have been tried over the years, nothing has really helped and I have arthritis in most of my joints now.

Chunkocaster, Dennyf and MatsEriksson like this.
  16. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have long had the pick dropping problem. My solution is to use Snarling Dog Brain Picks which have a great non slip surface.

Brain Pick.png Brain Picks.png

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  17. pictacado

pictacado Tele-Meister

CBD hemp oil extract might help, it comes as a pills, mouth spray, oil, topical cream, etc. If you are not familiar it is a non-psychoactive concentrate extracted from hemp. Commonly used for inflammation relief, relaxation, sleeping, and appetite and doesn't get you high like smoking marijuana.

18. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

:mad: My hands have been swollen for a month. I am going through a flare up since December. At one point I could hardly move. I am on medical leave from my job and I cannot drive because I cannot grip the steering wheel. I cannot play guitar. Some days I cannot hold a toothbrush in either hand. My hips hurt so bad I have cut down on eating so I don't have to get up and go to the bathroom.

I am in contact with my rheumatologist weekly and sometimes several times during the week. I have tried the steroids but as soon as you come off of them the pain is worse. I just started Cosentyx injections to cut down the inflammation. This is just to allow me to move. I will be starting with a PT soon to work out an exercise routine to fight this crap off. To think....up until 2 years ago I was running half marathons and 5K's all year long.

Stay with it and keep exercising. The more I move the better I feel right now. I am just using Ibuprofen also. Diet is important and I have been changing mine. Good luck to all of you.

19. Kerberos

I should have posted these pictures....Here's the brace I wear. I can actually play chords wearing it, though I rather not. It really protects the joint. The brace isn't cheap, runs about $90, but I had a prescription for it, and was able to get it no charge under Medicare.
    IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0014.JPG

Twin52 and brookdalebill like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.