Fix tilting trem posts

soggybag

Tele-Meister
I have a homemade Strat with a two post trem. The post on the bass side is leaning forward, maybe a millimeter or two. I’m looking for suggestions on how to repair this.

I just took the pickguard off to replace the it and though this might be a good time to address the issue.

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
on a lotta pots there it a small tab in the cast zinc. it's intended to act as a guide when doing a chassis installation... take some pliers and break it off... or put a few of the lock washers on the shaft prior to installation...

You can see it to the left side of the pot . . . rock on...

6748550-l.jpg

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
It's usually due to soft wood.

I remove the post and threaded sleeve and then drill for a hardwood dowel that's at least 1/8" larger in diameter than the threaded sleeve. I glue in the dowel, pare it flush with the surface, and then drill for the sleeve and install it.

Pro tip: if only one post is leaning, may as well do both because it's just a matter of time before the other starts to cave in.

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
maybe it was the pot.. 🤪

but, yeah.. the density of the wood is less than that which can resist the pressure generated by the continued tension of the strings.. You will have to drill out...preferably larger than the existing hole.. insert a hardwood dowel, redrill and press in the post Or if you can't handle the optics on the top surface, you can do it this way....

this requires a higher level of skill, but it really the way to do it.. becasue while you only have one post that's wonky, there's the possibility the other will decide to wander too..

DSC_5981.JPG

Last edited:

soggybag

Tele-Meister
Thanks for the replies. I tried shoring up the hole with glue and a wood shim. I know this is a little naive and may not work. I though I would give this a try first, I wasn’t ready to get the router out.

if this doesn’t work I think I’ll give the hardwood maple block a try. The body is light weight, I think it might be basswood which is pretty soft.