1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fix Fender champ

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Voicing 13, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Hey,
    I've got a Fender Champ from few years back. The switch on it broke. This seem to me like a simple fix but I know when opening an amp one must be careful as you can still get a deadly shock. What should I not do or touch? Please advise.

Thanks!

2. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

You should first drain the big electrolytic filter caps. Lots of ways to do this. I unplug the amp. get like a big 5 watt resistor and attach a set of alligator clips to each end. Attach the other side of one of the alligator clips to the chassis. Then attach a screw driver with an insulated handle to the other set of clips. Take the screw driver now attached to the resistor attached to the chassis and then hold the tip of it to the positive end one the filter caps. Hold it there for about a minute. Once these caps are drained you don't have to worry about touching anything really it will be safe in there.

3. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

Also, if you have a multimeter and know how to use it, just test for voltage on one of the lugs of the big cap can. If it has been sitting for awhile it's very possible that it has discharged as many Fenders have resistors that will eventually bleed off the voltage. Its always best to check first, and discharge the caps of necessary.

If you do read more than a few volts, you can also use the meter to discharge the caps simply by holding or clipping the leads in place while you're taking your measurement (you'll notice the voltage dropping as you're testing) but it will take longer than the method mentioned in the post above.

4. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

It seems like a simple fix. Finding the right slider switch... not so much. The mounting centers must be correct and it helps to have the switch body threaded for machine screws, otherwise you'll have an aneurism tryin' to get a nut on the bottom machine screw. That's why it's common for these amps to have a big ol' ratty hole chewed in the front panel with a toggle switch in it.

Allen Amps has an Alpha version that works on his parts order page. It's listed as a DPDT slide bright switch.

http://www.allenamps.com/parts.php

Mojotone has it, too.

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/amp-switches-slide

5. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You sure it's broken? Lots of times I have had switches that seemed broken, but just had corroded contacts. I would hit the switch with some deoxit before I ordered any new parts.

6. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

The export SF Champs (EU) had a toggle power switch from factory. Sliders didn't meet the safety regulations for 230 Volts, I think.
    since the OP is from Canada I'm wondering which applies.

here's a pic of mine before it went to a tech

Attached Files:

7. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My SF Vibro Champ has a similar issue, I need slide the switch up and down once to turn on the amp. Thinking it just needs a shot of contact cleaner.

8. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

I too have had a slider switch fixed by simply hitting it with contact cleaner so suggest that first.

9. backline

backline Tele-Afflicted

Hhhhmmmmm, ...he said the switch "broke".
    Yeah, OK.....just make sure you guys tell him he needs to get inside the amp to clean the switch....do not drown it...a little goes a long ways.....this is The Mains Switch, give it a chance to dry or use some Canned Air to blast it dry.
    Did you try sliding it back and forth a bunch of times.?
    If he has not even turned the amp on.? or has it been working.?..it probably has no residual charge.
    It is an easy Internet search for cap discharging. For your situ.....just short each node of the can cap to ground.
    One question always begs 7 others. Do you own any tools...a meter, any cleaner.?
    If you do not own any cleaner, just buy a new switch for this (I am assuming) old amp.
    good luck

10. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

My apologies

I must apologies for all who answered; I had completely forgotten that I had started this tread. Must have something to do with turning 40!:idea:

I've tried to post a picture of the amp from the iPad but it keeps failing.

The switch is broken because I broke it. Used it one night to teach and two days later it wouldn't move. Unfortunately, I was in a hurry and used too much force. Now the switch flaps around.

I'll post a picture as soon as I can.

Thanks again and once again my apologies.

11. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Hi,

Just to let you know, I've managed to burn out the replacement switch...twice. I'll bring it to a tech this week because I'm sure I'm the problem. It's a shame because I had everything set up with alligator clips and it work beautifully. When I reattached it, it went poof! Oh well. The music store near me is run by good people and they're rates are more than fair. At least I tried.

Thanks again for those who originally answered.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.