Five Years Ago Today: Great Tohoku Earthquake And Tsunami

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jupiter, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Magnitude 9.0
    Tsunami up to 40 meters/133ft
    Over 16,000 confirmed dead or missing
    Over 220,000 people STILL living in temporary housing or permanently displaced
    Can't even bring myself to talk about the subsequent nuclear disaster.
    It's still a huge mess up there...

2. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I was thinking of this a few days ago, out of the blue. I was wondering the state of things around Fukushima.

3. Jupiter

It's pretty grim still. Plenty of towns are still flat expanses of mud and rubble; like I said, thousands and thousands of people are still living in prefab temporary housing; ghost towns downwind of the power plants... I have to say I thought Japan would pursue reconstruction better than it has...

4. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My wife and I were camping that day in our favorite spot, and we were awakened at 6 by a state trooper knocking on our trailer door. He said to stay on the bluff, and off the beach.

The tidal wave hit a couple hours later, and went on about half the day, surf going 'way out, then coming all the way back to the bluff, in +/- 10-minute cycles. It was a remarkable thing to watch, although my fascination is tempered with regret for the terrible devastation that occurred in Japan. And Fukushima. . .och, tamale.

5. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

we've seen some amazing disasters in our life time...but i think we'd be better off not having them occur

6. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

My heart goes out to all those folks - not a good thing, at all.

7. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I remember saying, "What? Again? No tsunamis for my whole life and then two of the worst ones in forever?!"

8. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

The Radioactivity issue is downright scary.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I heard today that some 170,000 people are still living in temporary trailers. A gigantic undertaking for Japan and my heart goes out to them.

The power of nature is not to be underestimated.

10. Jupiter

Yeah, it's weird. If you'd asked me beforehand, I would have guessed that Japan would move really quickly to rebuild, that it would become a huge national project, and great forces would mobilize. But not so much...

11. dimojoe

dimojoe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I can't believe nations haven't come together to tackle the nuclear issue. They say it is so radioactive that even robots can't handle the work and nobody's even talking about it. No press. Nothing. It is a sad commentary about the state of the world now. Kardashian's and the Voice, but not a word about Fukashima. It is probably the worst disaster in the history of the world and you never hear a word about it.

12. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Slightly OT, but I reckon Japan is the poster child for financial manipulation gone wrong - is this affecting the rebuild - the melancholic industrial situation?

And the rest of the world is following suit. Sidestep a collapse by engineering 20 years of struggle.

13. Jupiter

I dunno. I sorta think people are just overwhelmed and can't stand to think about it much. So let's have the Olympics!

14. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

I remember the day well. My wife and I had bought out tickets to visit Japan on just 8 days prior... It was going to be her first time there, my second... I am a usually "early to bed, early to rise" but for some reason I found myself up at 3am or so EST and I decided to go to the computer and check CNN.com out of the blue- My gosh. I emailed my childhood friend who lives there and after a few hours of waiting and worrying I was overjoyed to get an email from him telling me he was ok, and that his wife was ok, but she was stuck in Tokyo at her work for a day or two if I remember right... To this day I check CNN.com every morning first thing when I wake up.

We ended up postponing our trip, obviously, for a year... but we made it there in May of 2012 and got married in Tokyo. It was the greatest trip we've ever had, and if I could afford it, I'd live in Japan. One day!

15. sabuchan

sabuchan TDPRI Member

I feel the same, Jupiter. We've been trying hard not to face the harsh facts and look away. We don't need the Olympics before all the victims of the quake and the nuclear disaster resettle and start building back their lives. I believe that it's not safe for them to return to the coastal areas of Fukushima in near future on contrary to the official lines from our government. The current government which is supported by the big corporations are hurrying to restart the nukes on the unstable volcanic islands.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  16. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

I've been reading articles about it this past week, and how the threat is still very dire. In all fairness to how media could avoid this, I have to say the information is out there if you're subscribed to relatable feeds. But overall, the world has a ton of catastrophic things happening on a daily basis. If we only focused on that, then what would be the mental state of everyone? Granted, I certainly could do without much of the nonsense that's in our faces everyday. But I can see some of the logic in keeping some things out of the public mainstream unless you're looking to follow up on it. The older I get, the more messed up and scary the world becomes, the more I am going back to the "ignorance is bliss" motto. If you can't change it, change the way you feel about it. Or something like that.

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I speculated from the get go that Fukushima would be a challenge. My career in engineering took me to Japan often and I found their engineering philosophy to be very linear there, which is the opposite of how good quick problem solving techniques occur here in the states. It appears this is true with their disaster relief too. Although, this is a highly magnified Katrina like disaster and the U.S. response then was pathetic for a variety of reasons.

I feel so much for those displaced.

18. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Those videos are unreal. I found myself wondering...the car that made a U turn, and sped off the other way just before the wave of water and debris hit, whether that driver made it to safety, or got stuck in traffic and swept away.

19. Tesla_HV

Tesla_HV Tele-Afflicted

I was living on Kwajalein Island at the time. I was at the Vets Hall when the story broke and they showed the first images of the tsunami. I remember thinking to myself that I hope that the tsunami doesn't become an issue for our island. A bit later the warning sirens went off and we were evacuated to the highest point of the island (the library second floor). The lagoon was drained and the boats in the harbor were on their keels for a short time but there was no damage.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.