1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Five way switch on a Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Footsore, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Footsore

Footsore TDPRI Member

I'm getting parts together to assemble a Thinline Tele based on a Squier CV mahogany body I picked up cheap and have a spare 5 way switch in my parts draw I thought I might be able to put to use instead of buying another 3 way switch.
    The new guitar will have the standard two single coil Tele pickups.
    I know you can wire up a 4 way switch with the pickups in a series position as well as the normal three positions but is there a worthwhile wiring mod to make use of a fifth position?
    I've heard of out of phase wiring but haven't actually heard a guitar with pickups wired that way so don't know how useful it would be.
    Any suggestions or should I just order a new 3 or 4 way switch?

2. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I have Keystones in my Logan, and they were originally on a standard 3 way. I eventually decided I wanted more variety, and stayed close to the source, using Bill Lawrence’s “5 Way Half Out of Phase” wiring. I don’t know if “half out of phase” is a correct description, but I am sold on this setup. I use all five positions at different times; I have done a lot of multi-option wiring setups in my time, in/out of phase, split coils, tapped coils, etc., but I have never had a setup that I used every option on until now. There are other ways to use that 5 way, so I would say go for it, but this is what I like.

https://www.wildepickups.com/pages/tele-5-way-with-half-out-of-phase

Footsore likes this.
  3. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

Coil tap maybe?

4. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

So you're looking to do regular Tele switching plus series plus one more?

I don't think you can get series/parallel with the regular Strat 5 way switch. If I remember correctly, the 4 way switch is built more like the 5 way superswitch, so it's more flexible than the standard Strat 5 way (which is pretty much just a 3 way with two more stops in the throw)

Looking forward to hearing from one of our experts to confirm or correct me!

Footsore likes this.
  5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 5 way using @Deaf Eddie's wiring scheme. The serial in phase is great to punch it up. The serial out of phase is like Strat quack but on steroids. I may use it once a set. But use it I do. It's great for extreme funk, especially with tone dialled back.

Footsore likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.