Five Watt World: The Guitars of Jimmy Page: A Short History, featuring Jeff McErlain and Rick Beato

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

Ah-ha, just came here to post this. Did my due diligence search first though.

I for one will admit to buying a Les Paul many many years ago because I was really into the first Led Zeppelin album...:rolleyes:

Edit: and, an English language edition of Yasuhiko Iwanade's The Beauty of the 'Burst (on Jan 5th 2001 I note too, from something I wrote on the inside cover).

Pax/
Dean

Last edited:

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Well, that's understandable given that all the later (aka more popular) live footage usually shows him playing all of their songs on the Les Pauls or the doubleneck, IIRC.

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Even back then I think they knew the pro recording studio teams 'send you home if you show up without either a Telecaster or PRS because everything else has tuning stability problems'.

Hendrix recorded with a Tele and later performed with Strats.

Something about those Teles.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Back before producers had the contents of your average suburban Guitar Center lying around the studio.

Zepfan

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
In a Interview, Jimmy Page said his first American guitar that He bought with his own money after his childhood gigs was a Red Fender Stratocaster. He still has it. He recorded with it on In Through The Out Door album and played it during that last live recorded TV get together that had with him sweating profusely while Plant gave him a bunch of pissed off glares. LOL

Jimmy had a Black Beauty Gibson LP that he used live and in the studio early on that got stolen in New York and just recently got back. Don't know what songs he used it on, think it was second album.

Zepfan

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
It isn't uncommon for many artists to have conflicting accounts of gear and stories due to long history and short memories or dug/alcohol use.