Five Watt World Fender Champ

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Woollymonster, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

My DIY Champ, Cab designed after a narrow panel but enlarged for a 10" Speaker. Sized the PT to handle a 6L6, however I presently running a 6V6. Got the 5F1 circuit but has a switchable 5F2 tone stack--the 5F1 setting is marked as "Raw". Also got switchable Negative Feedback. One last thing, got a switchable 22/25 cathode bypass cap on the 2nd stage of the 12AX7. The 10" Weber Speaker Model # 10F150T was recommended by Ted in 2003 for this amp. It was one of my first amp project completed in 2001, so I've done several tweaks to it over the years to correct rookie mistakes but it is one sweet amp now. Leo hit the sweet spot with that 5F1 recipe. Platefire
    DIY Champ 001.jpg
    DIY Champ 013.jpg DIY Champ 009.jpg
    DIY Champ 26 Aug 17 Schematic.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  2. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

I'm a fan of Champs but really not of this guys videos.

He just repeats information from reference books and such. Some of this information has been proved wrong, but it's obvious there is no research being done because he repeats it. So a new generation gets it and takes it as fact.

And he shows no credits for the information he repeats. Sorry, that's just wrong.

radiocaster likes this.
  3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

He's been pretty good about a critique I sent him once. If you have updates you can message him directly and I'm sure he'd respond.

Skamania and Greggorios like this.
  4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

My aero -technician mate and I go together to stay at his son's place in London @ Xmas.
    We build little champs for him- he has an inner city apartment in London.
    He also has a Rickenbacker with old school F- holes and a Maton ( Australian made ) acoustic.
    We used to build them for fun and flights ( overhead cabinets) . Now were about to build a 5E3 or a Bassman. Our first family radio as the same circuit, 10 pounds ( AUS E) i these days as my mother bought the amp off a fellow Ukraine man who badly ( Ukranian ) needed a p........te. It was stiil playing well into the 1970s as our kitchen radio.We lived in a house like Elvis and and had f..k all so ten pounds and a good radio were worth it. Thanks Mum.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

My aero -technician mate and I go together to stay at his son's place in London @ Xmas.
    We build little champs for him- he has an inner city apartment in London.
    He also has a Rickenbacker with old school F- holes and a Maton ( Australian made ) acoustic.
    We used to build them for fun and flights ( overhead cabinets) . Now were about to build a 5E3 or a Bassman.

6. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Are you saying this video will be updated and corrected if errors are noted? I only see these on this forum.

I've only seen this one, the Telecaster and Les Paul ones. They all had information that has been proven wrong. An example for this video is the statement in the '40's Fender was primarily an amplifier company.

7. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I can't speak for the guy. I sent a correction once and he sent a nice reply, but I didn't check back later to see if the video got updated.

8. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

He normally lists what book the information is coming from at the end or some people he went to for more info. Even if there is an error or two it’s free entertainment. He responds to all this comments and will email with you if you contact him on his site. He is a nice guy

RYAN1987M likes this.
  9. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Blackface Champ version with some cool mods...look up Gries 5, am very happy with mine. Great at home amp that covers a lot of ground.

57fenderstrat likes this.
  10. Skamania

Skamania Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

At the end of the Five Watt World videos Keith Williams discusses his sources and those who proofread the script. I find his channel very informative and enjoyable.

Wasn’t Fender a public address system company first. I don’t remember and I read Forrest White’s excellent book.

11. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

That thread is bad for me since someone where I live is selling a 1965 champ for a good price and I'm trying not to buy it! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.