1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fishman Ground Hum

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by DanCooz, Jun 23, 2020.

1. DanCooz

DanCooz TDPRI Member

Hey all, this is my first thread, and I'm seeking some ideas as to what I did wrong.
    I built my Blacked-out Paisley Tele with the Fishman Greg Koch set, and a black Wilkinson compensated brass saddle bridge (sanded the finish off the back to make sure the ground wire that goes thru the body has a good connection).
    When I put the gain or boost on, the ground hum is pretty severe. I checked with a multi-meter, and the ground connection from the saddles to the circuitboard under the control plate is good, however there is no connection to the control plate itself, the switch, pots, knobs, etc.
    Would a wire from the ground connection to the control plate be required? It doesn't say anything about that anywhere in the instructions. Thanks for y'all's help!

2. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

Are they noise free pickups or standard single coils? It may be that they are just a bit noisy and the pedal is simply amplifying that noise.

3. DanCooz

DanCooz TDPRI Member

They're the Fishman active set, supposed to be absolutely quiet. I put shielding tape in the control cavity, and it seemed to help a little. Still not 100% tho.

4. SouthAustinite

SouthAustinite TDPRI Member

I'm not sure, but that idea sounds good to test out by itself.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.