1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fishing

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tonetele, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I moved to Montana for the flyfishing and hunting. It has it all. I catch an array of trout and mountain whitefish, but if you don't do flyfishing, there are huge lake whitefish, trout, smallmouth bass and non-native pike. Weird paddlefish on the east side of the divide too.

2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

EED02126-5A27-489F-8E69-27002ECB4333.jpeg

fishing is the best

10209C6F-6F8C-4552-98C0-3F25112F4BA4.jpeg

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

4. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted

I get a kick out of watching this youtube channel:

The guy gets so excited for every fish he catches. His videos are very polished as well.

Tonetele and tery like this.
  5. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I like to fly fish for trout, which is good, as I live in one of the best places on earth for it. You can still find a stretch of river and have it to yourself.

Chuckster and Stubee like this.
  6. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Holic

You have been led astray my mustachioed three-fingered friend of Leo's! I reeled in a bunch of smallies from Lake Powell (not local to me) a few years ago -- filleted, breaded and fried they won over fish lovers and haters alike. Sweet and delicate flesh. Superb eats. Fine fighting fish as well.

Stubee and 3fngrs like this.
  7. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Best smallmouth recipe I know:

Heat a cedar plank over a hardwood fire. Place smallmouth bass on plank and allow to bake until white and flaky.

Throw out smallmouth and eat plank.

MrClint and Willie Johnson like this.
  8. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

With my buddy
    E67FB9AD-797B-4D82-B71E-B897E0F17D44.jpeg

Robert H., Stubee, tery and 1 other person like this.
  9. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

I fish on the coast of the Mediterranean along the Costa del sol, Spain. I fish both heavy tackle beach casting for sea bass and really anything that takes the bait, but also float fish off rocks for sardines which I find to be great fun and nothing like a few fresh sardine for dinner

Stubee, Jared Purdy and tery like this.
  10. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

local grocery store limit every time.

tery and donrichfan like this.
  11. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

1733F17B-D34A-4796-8C9A-5166D64D4563.jpeg 4F6E1865-9E75-42DF-AD94-F7634CBB3483.jpeg 9350D110-3E21-48EE-A68F-F37AF8F40967.jpeg I love to fish, and have since a little boy. I need to be outdoors a lot and fishing is a wonderful way to do that. I’ve fished several times in N Ontario & Georgian Bay for pike, the NW Florida Gulf coast each spring where I wade flats for various species, and throughout Michigan for trout, bass, pike, walleye, panfish...about everything. 1797B205-799C-4433-98D8-3BD21ED0FAD3.jpeg 9F3473DF-273F-416A-BAE4-D2C566288F38.jpeg 37636409-1F27-4F3E-B382-B17D83E98657.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Robert H., gimmeatele, dented and 5 others like this.
  12. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I’d find it hard to disagree. I grew up in Georgia, so There weren’t too many smallmouth opportunities when I was a kid. It wasn’t until I visited my in-laws in central VA for the first time that I discovered smallmouth and how fun they can be on a fly rod. The James River is a great smallmouth River and they’ll clobber a streamer or popper type bug in the summertime. I eventually discovered the great smallmouth fishing on both north and south Forks of the Shenandoah River, where I’d escape from the lunacy of the DC area. I remember in late June wet wading when it’d be approaching 100 degrees outside and the River was as warm as bathwater, but that seemed to be when the Shenandoah was best.
    There’s some OK places to find them In Colorado, but nothing close to places I fished in Virginia.

Willie Johnson and tery like this.
  13. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I live in Northern California. But almost every year for more than 2 decades a group of guys would truck down to the Mexican desert along the Sea of Cortez and go deep sea fishing for a week, camping on the beach. Spotted Bay Bass, Scorpian fish, Yellow Tale, occasional halibut. Purchase a weekly or monthly license by mail. Here’s a shot from camp -
    upload_2021-2-28_10-43-31.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    gimmeatele, Tonetele, dented and 4 others like this.
  14. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I live in south, central Canada, so it's only fresh water. There's a multitude of species of fish, and most of them are edible: several varities of trout, several varieties of salmon, pickerel, large and small mouth bass, crappie, perch and white fish are probably the most desirable for eating.

Stubee and black_doug like this.
  15. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Catfish are available in the Missouri, and Platte rivers, although pollution levels in the "Mo" dictate you don't consume too much. Fish taken from the Platte are okay. I personally don't do catfishing.
    I do enjoy spin casting with an ultralight rig for Bluegill, Perch, and Crappie in the lakes. I use various jig heads and spinner tails, with the occasional frog style lure. I have not been in many years since my wife let my son's take all my tackle and destroy it as young boy's will do. I do plan on reoutfitting for the coming season, as an old friend will be returning and plans to do some fishing. I also hope to get one of my older son's to join me. He used to be quite the avid fisherman, and even did some experimenting with fly casting.

Stubee likes this.
  16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My kids loved fishing. I spent a good bit of my summers working at the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, MA when they were young. There was a pier there that the kids loved fishing off of. They had their rods, bait, sunscreen, and a good time. Anything they managed to catch got thrown back... until my youngest caught a big one.

He cast his line. The cast was followed by a scream. A loud one. He hooked a big one all right. He hooked his mother through the ear. My oldest ran for me in the lab. I got the car, put my wife and the kids in it and drove to Falmouth Hospital. I was mad. I just fed the meter

This wasn’t a big enough emergency to drive to Hyannis. Kid hooks Mom didn’t make the local news... radio or newspaper. It’s a common occurrence we were told.

Stubee and black_doug like this.
  17. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Fishing is in my blood.

My parents bought a place on a lake in Haliburton, Ontario, Canada, when I was 11 years old. We spent whole summers there until I was old enough to start working. With a 12' boat and 7.5 hp motor I spent hours fishing this lake, and up river in a connecting lake. Didn't catch a lot but what a thrill it was when I hooked a smallmouth bass.

Now it's something my two kids and I love to do together, too. This is from one trip last summer:

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

gimmeatele and tery like this.
  18. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The USA has 50 States.
    Each State has its own separate Rules and Regulations.

I would advise looking up what kind of Fish you want to catch and go from there.

19. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm right on the South Carolina/North Carolina border within 3 miles of the beach. I can walk across the street to the neighborhood pond and catch Bass and Bluegill. Walk 2-3 blocks and fish the intracoastal (which here is a local river that empties into the Atlantic about 3-4 miles away).

Tarpon run here starting in April (usually closer to June). I went with my brother a couple years ago. Hooked a few but none made it to the boat. I'm kinda glad...they were huge!

Redfish are very common here in the estuaries. They're regulated for size (slot limit) as are most fish. I'm planning on building a dory so I can row around the Little River Estuary...but enjoy Surf Fishing as much as anything else.

Next month, I turn 64 and thus will qualify for a lifetime fishing/hunting permit in SC. Only $9.00 after you turn 64!

gimmeatele, black_doug and tery like this.
  20. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Er, not quite everyone. It seems fishing is an obsession almost a great as guitars. Never got into it myself but I can understand how people would enjoy it, connecting with the outdoors etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.