1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fishing

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tonetele, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Hey all ,
    Fishing in Australia is a National Obsession. Every man, woman , kids and their dog loves to go fishing.
    Please tell me about your place ( country, sate ) and am interested in the regulations .
    I have a friend from Canada that said that the regulations were pretty tough.
    Also I was warned off catching catfish which I would like to have cooked. So, any tips, numbers, sizes and cooking ( Cajun especially). , please advice.
    I know it's not about Telecasters but they are only a part of our lives. Thanks in anticipation.

2. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Locally, Wahoo, Tuna, & Mahi. No freshwater fish

3. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Walleye! And yellow perch.

Ohio.

hawkman, fasthand and uriah1 like this.
  4. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

google "catfish noodling"

5. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Just make sure it's not a turtle!

A coworker has a humorous tee shirt about noodling featuring two hands but only nine fingers. He's a member of the less than 10 club too.

drf64 likes this.
  6. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Tennessee trout fishing .

[​IMG]

donrichfan, irie, duzie and 4 others like this.
  7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I haven't been fishing in years ( want to, loved it as a kid), so I'm always talking to our drummer, who goes bank fishing with his 10 year old son as much as they can in the local Northern Virginia lakes/streams around their neighborhood.

They catch Bluegill, yellow perch, and Largemouth Bass, using spinner lures, and live worms too...

I LOVE the picture of this ' Trophy Bass' perfect shot, look at the detail of this teeny Largemouth!
    IMG_27221.jpg

8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

The Chesapeake Bay.

We never weigh 'em; we measure how long they are. Here's a 36" rockfish, which is called a 'striper' in most other parts of the world:

[​IMG]

Here's a 43" rock:

[​IMG]

And here's Fidel and Che relaxing on a Sunday afternoon, already thinking about going back to work on Monday.

[​IMG]
    Fidel: "Whadda you have planned for tomorrow?"
    Che: "I dunno. Probably kill a few more of my enemies. How 'bout'choo?"
    Fidel: "Yeah...same thing for me, I guess."

9. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted

The nearest lake to me is Lake Pleasant. Springtime is White Bass time, when the bass are running up the tributaries to spawn. Also lots of Stripers and Crappie, along with largemouth bass.

Other lakes around the Phoenix area have almost every kind of fish including Walleye and Flathead catfish.

Going a little further away, you can find trophy trout fishing at Lees Ferry, just below Glen Canyon damn, and big trout in Chevelon Canyon lake. Other rim lakes are good for pan size trout.

Greggorios likes this.
  10. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

And all lakes in Arizona, are man made.

11. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

When I was younger, I would go fishing all the time. I always released what I caught because I’ve never liked to eat fish. But I just enjoyed the challenge of catching them.

12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

We have ocean fishing and fresh water. All diff. Going for big boys or other. Sometimes just fun to sit by lake or pond and throw out a bobber with worm and Just enjoy. Catfish are fun too. More bottom fishing. Sit on shore and just watch line move. You don’t have to eat. Hard to skin and most people smoke them anyway. Just use pliers since holding them and not getting stabbed is trick. Lol

Chuckster and Greggorios like this.
  13. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

USA/Northeast- Fresh water stream fishing for brown and rainbow trout. Salt Water, striped bass. As far as regulations go, we've got them and the fines are sizable if caught but like so many things there just isn't the money available for thorough enforcement. Reservoirs, where water is held for public consumption, are where the authorities monitor most consistently and a special "watershed permit" is required.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    dented, duzie and Chuckster like this.
  14. Blister

Blister Tele-Meister

Whoa ! Real men noodle

15. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm on Cape Cod, the peninsula off Massachusetts.

I'm primarily a saltwater fly fisherman, but I still trout fish a few times a year. The Cape is great for freshwater as well.

I'm out in my boat every weekend, mostly catching stripers and bluefish.

In late summer, we get a push of false albacore, bonito, and spanish mackerel that everyone waits for all year. It's intense.

Our waters are loaded with Great White sharks so it's always interesting. We got this bluefin tuna in August... 60", 140lbs.
    IMG957653.jpg

Tonetele, Peegoo, black_doug and 9 others like this.
  16. keithb7

keithb7 Poster Extraordinaire

I am in western Canada. Inland a bit, but close enough that I can get the ocean fairly easily. I've fished my whole life. I'm not totally engulfed in it, but I do like to get out. Seems that anywhere outside of well populated cities, there are a couple hundred lakes within an hour or two drive in any direction. Locally we've got Rainbow Trout, Kokanee, Dolly Varden, Brook Trout and Steelhead. Each fall we get a massive salmon spawn thru here. There are unlimited fishing opportunities year -round it seems. There are typical fishing regulations. They are certainly not too overbearing. There are tons of fish you can go catch with a license.

I ran thru a few photos stored on my computer. My wife is seen holding the Coho salmon she caught. The Vampire fish is taken when we were on a trip to South America (Peru). BC Halibut and Spring salmon on the dock. Sturgeon on the Fraser River near Hope BC.

Attached Files:

tery, Telecastoff1 and Chuckster like this.
  17. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I would posit that America's finest freshwater game fish is the smallmouth bass. They live in lakes, but are primarily a river/stream species. They can tolerate a wider range of water temperature and quality than trout, and fight harder than their largemouth bass cousins of equal size (and in the waters that they cohabitate, literally eat trout for breakfast). Fly fishing for them is fun, but light spinning tackle is more productive. Wet wading for smallmouth is a high quality sport fishing experience that's available to most anglers in the eastern/midwest US within a short drive to their local river with a simple loadout of tackle and equipment, and with or without a boat--and if you do bring a boat, a canoe, jonboat, or fishing kayak will more than suffice.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  18. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Too bad they aren't much good for eating.:eek:;)

Chuckster and Willie Johnson like this.
  19. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I haven't killed anything but Great Lakes trout and salmon in probably 20 years. Caught a mess of yellow perch at Navy Pier in Chicago when we lived in the city and ate those, but I really only bring home fish anymore from charter trips where stocking the freezer is the primary objective. I think steelhead is my favorite eater fish from the big water here.

ndcaster and 3fngrs like this.
  20. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Both of those are real good. I love smoked trout and salmon. My grandfather used to go to Arizona to trout fish at Wheatfield Lake. He'd smoke and can them in jars and bring them when he visited us in the summer. Delicious!

I love walleye and yellow perch for frying. Especially yellow perch but there's a boring story involved that I don't feel like writing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.