Fish and chips.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by HoodieMcFoodie, Aug 9, 2020.

Malt vinegar or lemon

1. Malt Vinegar

149 vote(s)
    72.0%
  2. Lemon

31 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. I just want milk that tastes like real milk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I like turtles

27 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. Cloodie

Cloodie Tele-Meister

Almost always salt and vinegar.

My local chip shop does lemon and tartare sauce as well. It's right next to the port and has a bigger choice in term of fish than you'd usually find in a regular 'chippy'

[​IMG]

Lawdawg likes this.
  2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Malden? That's so far south you probably eat frogs legs and other French muck.

Offer lemon here, you'll get punched. Vinegar and mushy peas. Brown gravy? Give over...

drlucky and VintageSG like this.
  3. a.francis.1968

a.francis.1968 Tele-Meister

The lemon segment is actually used at the end like a type of snow plough on your fork with rind forward you sweep around the minute bits and pieces left into a pile for that last hurrah!

4. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

salt and malt vinegar on battered fish and chips with peas and tartar sauce on the side.
    unbattered fish with all other forms of potato, always lemon.

5. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Bachelor's are a local company, but their mushy peas are a poor substitute for the real thing. Curry sauce or gravy may go on a bag/tray of chips, but never with fish, which is usually cod or haddock around these parts.

Teletubbie likes this.
  6. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Could one of you UK-types explain this curry sauce you are talking about please?

7. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

It defies description, it's a yellowish gunge that bears little or no relation to any kind of curry I've ever tasted.

8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Malt vinegar from a Watney's bottle with the cap jammed back on and holes poked in it with an icepick.

9. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So is it store bought or something that is conjured up in-house at the Chippy?

10. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Cod & chips with salt and malt vinegar, wrapped in a newspaper with a grain of sand on the cold and windy beach.

beagle likes this.
  11. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

It's very definitely chippy only. Fish and chips are rarely "eat in" unless you're on the coast. I usually munch them whilst watching Yorkshire play cricket, speaking of which, the lunch interval is over and I need to get back to the game...

12. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

It's a regional thing.

'Fish and chips' will get you cod (or more likely coley). The exotic stuff - plaice, haddock, hake, you ask for by name. Not many chippys have haddock or hake these days, and plaice isn't exactly common. I haven't seen halibut on the menu for years.

getbent and beagle like this.
  13. notmyusualuserid

Whitby has some terrific fish restaurants and chippys.

The Magpie was always a favourite. They served halibut.

14. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

The Magpie always has such a long queue it's a waste of half a day. :D Go further north still and you get a lovely fish supper.

15. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

AFF30386-2415-49A3-9D2F-055E5DF2DBAB.jpeg

drlucky, teletimetx, getbent and 2 others like this.
  16. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Like others I can't believe this is even open for debate, fish 'n chips must have malt vinegar. Lemons give you the acidity, but none of the underlying sweetness and umami of the malt vinegar.

Now then . . . in my neck of the woods if you're having fried catfish, that's a hot sauce only scenario.

drlucky, getbent and Rustbucket like this.
  17. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Pah!, typical propaganda from a quinoa munching purchaser of Habitat pine scatter cushions.

The bituminous ooze referred to as chip shop gravy is used for chips & gravy, pie, peas & gravy and maybe sausage[1] , chips & gravy. It isn't even suitable for spam & chips. That's the domain of curry sauce.

We don't lather gravy on fish, nor do we hang monkeys for being too French anymore. That law was repealed circa 2005.

Yorkshire puds ( home made ) with onion gravy ( home made ) = yes. Toad in the hole ( home made ) with gravy = yes. With fish?, no. Just no.

Mushy peas are a veg that doesn't require chewing. Delicious with mint sauce ( do not attempt to have mint sauce with fish, it is for pies )

Battered fish with gravy is an invention of the shandy quaffing, coiffured, sustainable kintweared Southern jessicles, used to attempt to mock us while ingraining anti-North beliefs in their little Tarquins and Portias.

I do hope that clears things up a little.

[1] Mystery content tubule. Oft battered, rarely beaten as a post pub prandial.

18. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

The best fish+chips I've experienced were purchased at a street market in the Dulwich area of London.

This was in 1980 and I'd never had such a thing. Greasy, wrapped in newspaper, and soaked in malt vinegar - heaven!

Alamo likes this.
  19. a.francis.1968

a.francis.1968 Tele-Meister

It’s like a very thick gravy but has a generic curry aroma and taste, it is hard to define but there are a few different variations on the recipe specifically the Irish version has a lot more of a ginger taste, but most people would only know the chip shop style which would be powdered and mixed with water and heated in the microwave so it would have a generic homogenised taste Actually it’s like a leftover chicken curry TV dinner if you’d eaten all the meat and then poured the remains over some fresh fried cod, a most edifying experience indeed certainly an experience you’d want to repeat over and over once initiated and a pretty neat colon cleanser to in these days of stodgy dinners and highest colon cancer rates in the EU here in U.K. so it’s health giving in that respect..

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  20. notmyusualuserid

That's fish and chips pretty much anywhere in the UK, but they don't use newspaper anymore.

Health and safety

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.