1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First World Telecaster Problems

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by CCK1, Apr 15, 2021.

1. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

I know this subject has become somewhat of a dead horse, but here goes... When I had Bill at oldvetparts make this neck, I wanted everything as traditional as possible with exception of the radius. That meant the truss rod adjustment at the heel. Well now, due to the change of seasons, I need just a touch more relief in the neck. loosening strings, loosening the neck so it can be tilted up, adjusting, bringing back up to pitch, checking relief again, etc. is somewhat of a hassle. Anyway, rant over, screwdriver in hand, carry on. IMG_0570.jpg

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

that is one sweet looking tele and holy crap the bling is so strong i gotta wear shades :cool:
    dig that you've got the steel E/A saddle, too

and damn, sweet case interior!

Telekarster and CCK1 like this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think I need to go back to any Tele I said was pimped out and take my ranking down a notch!

Telekarster, CCK1 and Dan German like this.
  4. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

If it makes you feel any better, I’ll have to take the neck off my homemade baritone if I need to adjust it. :confused:

CCK1 likes this.
  5. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Only one word comes to mind - Liberace! Do you have a candelabra to go with it?

6. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

The glitter is strong with this one..

Wow!

SparkleFart, oldfish, CCK1 and 2 others like this.
  7. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

You do realize that you need to follow those same steps, with the exception of loosening the neck, when you adjust the truss rod on any guitar?

Spoke-wheel adjuster at the heel takes out the neck loosening step :).

CCK1 and Telekarster like this.
  8. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Wow! That is one pimp'd out Tele man! And the strap! WTH did you get a strap like that??? I'm not a bling guy persay but... for some reason.... I want one ;) :) Oh... and lepard lined case.... this is just too awesome!

CCK1 likes this.
  9. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

Thanks guys for the commiseration and compliments. Marty Bell, http://www.martybellfinishing.com/ finished the body and headstock. There may be someone that does sparkle better than Marty, but if there is, I don't know about them. The case is from Allen Eden, sorta' faux crocodile on the outside and leopard on the inside. Bridge with steel E/A is from Marc Rutters, and the strap is from the one and only Nudies Rodeo Tailors.
    If you watch Hee-Haw, or old films of Buck Owens, Don Rich, or George Jones, you'll see the same strap. It was a gift from my wife several years ago. I've always liked sparkle anything, guitars, Kustom amps, dune buggies, bass boats, drums, whatever. @Boreas, the first time one of my bandmates saw the guitar, he commented that if Liberace had played a Telecaster, that's what it would look like.:)
    @ IMG_0571.jpg

10. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

The strap is from Nudie Cohn's Rodeo Tailors. My wife bought this from Nudie Cohn's daughter. I don't think they are available any longer, I've looked, I want another one for a sparkle Stratocaster I have.

Telekarster likes this.
  11. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

I feel you man!
    Yeah, unfortunately I do realize that. It's just that this is the only guitar I have that requires the neck removal. All the rest are headstock adjusters. In hindsight, I wish I had specified a spoke wheel, or a headstock adjustment. This one is an allen head, and the neck has to come completely off. It does have locking tuners, so that makes it a little easier during neck removal, don't have to do the capo at the first fret trick.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    old wrench and Telekarster like this.
  12. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Oh man!!! A Nudie?!??!!! Wow.... man that is one sweet rig you got goin' on there. I bet that thing looks KILLER on stage!

Yeah... I see your conundrum... wish I had some sort of suggestion but it seems that it is what it is unless you want to do a mod... and I doubt you do. I don't think I would, that guitar is just too darn fab to be messin' with that finish.

CCK1 likes this.
  13. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

DAYUM, did not know a Liberace sig model existed

Telekarster and CCK1 like this.
  14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Sweet guitar.

I have no idea why builders shun headstock truss access. It's one of those "Leo did it" things. Be careful, that's a great finish.

cyclopean, Telekarster and CCK1 like this.
  15. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

I don't know why either. I think, like you said, it's just a traditional "Leo did it" kind of thing. I've thought about it before, perhaps, Leo not being a guitar player, didn't know that necks may require seasonal adjustment.
    I'm sort of surprised this neck moved at all. It's a very hard flame maple shaft with a Wenge fretboard. The neck is so stiff, I suppose because of the maple, that I can't do the "faux whammy" trick of pushing away on the headstock to lower the pitch. It's the only guitar I have that has a neck so stiff it just won't move. On the other end of the spectrum, my SG's neck will bend so much it's almost like having a whammy at the headstock:).
    IMG_0572.jpg

Wallaby and Killing Floor like this.
  16. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Dang, I didn’t know there were Nudie straps. I’m not man enough to rock a Nudie suit, but a strap? I could do that.

Wildcard_35 and CCK1 like this.
  17. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If Jesus owned a Tele!!! :)

Dunedin2019 and CCK1 like this.
  18. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

This is why truss rod access should be at the headstock.

CCK1 likes this.
  19. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

Nudie Cohn's daughter, or more likely it was Nudie's granddaughter, Jamie, doing business under the name "nudiegirl" used to sell items on etsy.com. I've looked and can't find her there any longer. She had a few of these, some Gram Parsons "Gilded Palace Of Sin" straps with rhinestones of course, and some with skulls and roses. I wish I'd bought them all.
    They weren't cheap, but nowhere near some of the prices of straps from Jodi Head or Jeri Hart. If you search for "nudiegirl" on the internet, just know that Google takes certain liberties with the search results when you have the word "nudie" and "girl" in a search query;).

Dan German likes this.
  20. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

Absolutely!! I have the relief I want in the neck now, but it took removing the neck 4 times, a bit less than an eighth of a turn of the truss rod each time. I suppose an experienced luthier could have gotten the correct results with one or two adjustments, but I'm a retired IT guy, not a luthier.

cyclopean likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.