First Windshield replacement

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Ever. I have driven thousands of miles in my life and this is the first time I've had windshield damge bad enough to replace it. Took a pretty loud and hard rock hit last week. Looked like a quarter size hit and by the end of the day I had a horizontal crack 1/2 way across the windshield. I've had little hits usually requiring nothing or a quick injection fix.

Had the guy show up this morning to replace it and in under an hour he did the job. Wasn't cheap but not as expensive as I thought it would be. Cost a few bucks to have them come do it at the house. I used Safelite and it was identical to the original. All the stickers moved without any issues. Interesting to watch the guy do it (from inside in the A/C). Have some tape that has to stay on for 24 hours, but otherwise just like new.

Given all the horrible videos of stuff hitting windshields, I feel pretty lucky.

micpoc

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I had mine replaced earlier this year. It was heavily scratched, enough that it made driving at night difficult. Best $250+ I've ever spent... which was actually LESS than I expected it to be.

Now taking out a small dent in the bumper? In$ane!

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I have 0 deductible glass coverage and good thing. I've had a lot of them. Too much highway driving for 30 years.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
Only time I've had a windscreen replaced it was free under the car insurance. That was a little chip which grew into a crack right across the windscreen when I bumped it with something... a lesson for me that windscreen chips need taken care of as soon as you see them.
(And the replaced windscreen seal wasn't right first time so then I had a flooded car to deal with after the next rainstorm...! Filling a chip would have been so much easier...)

edvard

Friend of Leo's
Congrats on your first one. Seems I've made a habit of replacing the glass every time I get a used car, as there's always a chip or small crack somewhere that grows into a big one, so I get it replaced as soon as it's big enough for the insurance to cover it. The latest was my rear-view mirror falling off the inside of the windshield and taking a big chunk of glass with it. 😬

Years ago when my wife and I bought a car new, the bank required full coverage insurance on it. The benefits of that arrangement worked out so well that now we ALWAYS get full coverage. It's saved my butt twice now...

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Here in farm country, I get hit about twice per month. Most leaving a chip, some big bullseyes, and all of them spread in the Fall.

I usually wait until the Fall to replace it, because I know that it will just get bashed again in short time. Just way too much truck traffic and the road department puts down so much sand in the winters that the shoulders are like a desert. Come spring, these trucks never seem to stay on the f-ing road and drift onto the shoulder throwing rocks onto every vehicle following them. I keep 2 lengths behind, but they bounce off cars 7-8 car lengths behind as well.

If it was legal, I would install a lexan windshield and never have to deal with it again.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
I used to commute 45 min+ each way on a section of road frequented by dump trucks.
Replaced windshields like Walter White.
At one point I kept a spare in my personal inventory- not kidding.

But back then they were mounted in rubber gaskets and I replaced my own...