First week of retirement...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bob M, Jul 2, 2019.

1. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

Congratulations on the retirement! Been mulling that over myself. Just trying to figure how long my body will let me continue working.

Thoughts and prayers for your wife's complete and quick recovery.

Bob M likes this.
  2. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

Congratulations on retiring and I hope for the best for your wife. On July 18th I will have been retired six months. I love having my time unplanned and to do what I want. I don’t miss working. Enjoy.

3. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I know some guy who has retired 3 times

He keeps being asked back into the game to help. He does what he wants to and spends all the wages on exotic trips. Not taking it seriously and having no stressing means he does better at his work as well

His wife is delighted for him to be out

JL_LI and Toto'sDad like this.
  4. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

First....
    I very glad her 'treatments' are progressing favorably.
    I can relate in that my wife got cancer back in 1995 and it was hell worrying every minute of the day about the possible outcomes.
    She got through and has not had an recurrence thus far.
    Attitude wise...."every day above the dirt is a good thing....all days are good, it's attitudes that can suck"

Second...
    Best to you on your new found retirement.....I'm elated that I lived this long to experience it.
    I retired in December 2010 just shy of 64.
    In the span of about 2 weeks I finished/recorded a new original as a dedicated tribute to us newly retired fossils.
    https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=12929725

Good health and best to you and your spousal unit....

Bob M likes this.
  5. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Congrats on your retirement, and best wishes for recovery for you wife.

6. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations and all the best to your wife.

I am slightly obsessed with the idea of retiring ( and whether I can afford it). My father was given a golden handshake to retire at 55 and worked part time, sorted the garden, completed a part time degree, took my sister and me to California. I suspect I'd watch a lot of daytime TV ( or worse, always on Facebook) and achieve nothing. But Mrs Baby takes early retirement next March so I should decide if I can do likewise.

7. lousy13

lousy13 Tele-Meister

Congrats on retirement and best wishes to your wife and hoping for a positive cancer treatment outcome.

8. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

My congrats and sympathies at the same time Bob.
    May both these revelations have a happy conclusion.

Bob M likes this.
  9. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Prayers for your wife.

Retirement...dude, it's time to get the band back together.

Bob M likes this.
  10. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I made a major change in my employment about 5 years ago and now teach at university. My kids tell me I am semi-retired, which is probably an accurate description as compared to the treadmill I left behind. I have a lot of time to do what I want, but still make a contribution to society. I expect one day I will fully "retire" and enjoy the experience. I also have been in your position with an ailing spouse and hope you enjoy every single day you are together, and that it be for a very, very long time. My father-in-law beat pancreatic cancer 11 years ago and is still going strong in his early 90's.

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Since retiring I've had the opportunity several times to go back to work full or part time. I thought about it, but that's all I did was think about it. I had a wonderful work life, I walked away on my last day after an incredible run. It's much better to end on a high, than hang around until your good days are forgotten.

Bob M likes this.
  12. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Good thoughts for your wife. I'm headed to Boston after work this evening from Indianapolis. I was stationed at Hanscom AFB back in the early 80s. Youngest daughter is at Harvard for a summer program so we're headed out to pick her up. Looking forward to it, haven't decided where to go for fireworks tomorrow night.

Bob M likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.