First video of the Mustang GTX

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by DougM, Mar 21, 2020.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I don't think anyone expects "amazing", at least as far as tone. Hell, i have had probably 100 tube amps and maybe a handful were amazing. VERY few amps today in the same range as the GT/GTX are amazing. But i don't think anyone is expecting that. I think they are expecting at most real feeling and sounding tube tone that equal a typical middle of the road tube amp like a blues jr or classic 30 etc. That along with all the other advantages is an *amazing deal*, but tonally there are almost no amps under a grand i would call amazing. I never expected amazing from any amp i have bought except those i paid a lot for and had a rep of being that good. To me the GT/GTX has to simply have a feel and tone that are real tube like or so close i'm fine with it, and the ability to work well in a mix and respond to my playing and guitar's volume pot, and they do that very very well. Amazing amps are overrated anyways. I've had a few that were more then amazing. One that comes to mind is a GT soulo 75 that just floored me......about 1/2 the time. The other 1/2 the time my GT sounds better then that thing did and sounds like that most every time you turn it on and in most any room. The 75 sounded like god in one room, like hell in the next. I've even sold amps that i thought sounded phenomenal because in the end tone that does the things i mentioned ad consistently is far more valuable to me than one that sounds amazing at time. Even when those amps sound amazing at a gig, thruth is once you are into the music you forget about that and all that matters are the things i mentioned than my GT does just fine. And i think thats what people want from the mustangs, not amazing.

2. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

same with katanas and spiders i guess. All in same ballpark.

3. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

That's not what I'm reading. The only negative comments (other than yours), and if you can call them negative, were that the amp had too many bells and whistles for some people. That's hardly a dashing of expectations - we all knew beforehand what the specs and interface were like, from the GT. Sounds like me and fender4life are on the same page, but sadly he's not talking to me... :cry: .

4. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

The interface is great and bright screen is vg(like the boss gt-1) And it does have plenty of effects and amps to please many for sure. My review after playing is not so much negative as more like "nothing new here" for me. I would seek out a used gt100/200 and update the firmware if i was awed by the tones cause they likely are close enough and i dont gig so turning it up for band volume isnt needed for me. I think its got a few decent tones in it as i said but didnt make me feel i wanted it or needed it with what i have now. If a kid walks into gc and plays it and has no amp or a squier amp this will likely wow him as a katana may and he would like it. And i am not being elitist by saying that. I have been playing for a long time and have gone thru a ton of gear and believe me if i had plugged in and said wowwwwwwww..i would have bought it on the spot like i do with other gear that wows me. I guess what i use now keeps me in wow mode and i know fender is capable of so much better(TM AMPS) SO i will just wait till the next model amp from them and give it a go.

5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, my comment was in no way negative, basically I was in a round about way saying I'm an old fart, and find it difficult to keep up with technology these days lol.

6. Stratguy70

Stratguy70 TDPRI Member

I think the entire Mustang line is "amazing "!
    So there!

The only issue I have was they released the GT before they had the software settled. If they had released the previous update, it would be all different now.

No negativity about Mustang!
    Don't like 'em?..
    ...Move along now!

VerySlowHand likes this.
  7. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

That's my dilemma. The GT/GTX offers everything I need in one neat package, especially with the foot-switch and looper, and the interface does look pretty easy to use, but I'm still wondering if when I get a GTX I'll freeze because it's not a traditional layout - that's part technophobia, part short threshold of boredom. That said, I set up my internet, computers, TV streaming and Sonos, with trepidation, then with relief at how easy it all was... the makers do seem to have cottoned-on that most older people (me) are uncomfortable with it.

8. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

If you find the GT/GTX overwhelming, the LT25/50 sound just as good IMO, and are simpler and easier to tweak to your liking. They're also less expensive. I love my LT25 as much as my GT40. But, I don't use a lot of the amp models and effects, mostly a clean Tweed or BF amp model with a good overdrive pedal in front of it, and maybe a little delay or reverb. But, the modlulation effects, such as the univibe, chorus, phaser, and tremolo sounds are excellent too.

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Confession time... I changed my mind about the GTX and bought a Katana 100 mkII (to be delivered next week). Not sure there's a right or wrong decision, but at least it's a decision. I know there's the BOSS Tone Studio thing to look forward to :confused:, but in basic operation I thought I'd get on better with knobs, rather than menus - I understand knobs.

Keep well everyone.

10. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm always interested in the new modeling amps (which, unfortunately, seems to be reading about NEW models every couple years)... just for low-volume practice at home. I actually loved my GDEC30 for that, but I am not a fan of digital menus or apps.... which is why I bought a Roland Blues Cube Artist. But I do admit, I do miss being able to call up different presets AT HOME at the drop of a hat... maybe today I'm in a Jim Campilongo mood, but next week I'll be in an Andy Timmons mood.... that's what these modelers are good at/for, imo.

As far as THAT video, everything sounded too toppy to me. Pete is a great player, but he rambles (talks) too much. In general, I find Andertons videos very informative, IF you can sit through them. I feel like their 40min videos could easily be boiled down to 20min, but they are also doing the "hang" thing with their videos, which I guess a lot of people like, so....

11. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

You are spot on. However, i took delivery of a GTX a few days ago and felt the same. My initial feeling was i wanna return it immediately but i know better than to listen to my first impression. Glad i didn't because the brightness issue is no more. I am absolutely loving this amp, and all it too was one setting change....global EQ bright cut. I tried that on my GT to no avail i think because the stock speaker in that is just horrible. I replaced it with a 100 watt celestion and it sounded far better and i no longer even needed a bright cut. But the GTX does, and once you set that in the global ERQ the amp will ten sound a bit dark and less alive. But you readjust the amp model settings and you not only get all the top end you had back, but it no longer sounds thin and bright. Basically what happens is when the GEQ is set to flat you have to darken up the model's controls a lot and that throws the balance of frequencies out of whack because the tone controls are interactive. Setting the high cut in the GEQ allows you to EQ the model just like a real amp where the tones can be set in the middle as a starting point which is how a good tube amp works. I never had a tube amp where the tones all had to be at say 9:00 in order to sound balanced. Think of it like having a bright amp whos preamp has to be set very dark to make it usable due to a power amp/speaker that are super bright. High cut is at the end of the chain and is like replacing that cutting power section/speaker with a much more normal sounding one so your preamp now works normally.Personally i think they should have labeled what is the high cut "flat" and the flat setting should have been one of the bright settings. Then no one would complain the amp is bright without changing a thing but the labels !

So the result is i am loving this amp big time. Once you cut highs with the GEQ the speaker sounds similar to the old one in some ways but without that stiff digital feel and pervasive high mids. I actually like it which is shocking to me after experience with the GT speaker, which GEQ or anything else i tried didn't help. So that video is hat u heard, but thats they apparently like most demos didnt do any serious tweaking. In fact for the most part they even used the stock presets which just like the MIII, GT and now GTX, sound awful. Just that one setting in the GEQ took me from wanting to return it to feeling it sounds better than my GT does with the better speaker i have in it to WAY better than the GT with it's stock speaker. (which by the way i put back in the GT after getting the GTX to compare) The GT with the "good" speaker in it is close but no cigar. And the GTX also has the advantage that the cabinet and/or speaker has a lot more low end which helps overall but actually makes a few models now usable where before the bass was so low even on 10 i never used them. Other then that issue they're great models but too skinny sounding till now.

I suspect the GTX will have a lot of haters just like the GT, but i honestly think a big reason for that is just what you noticed. I would suggest to anyone getting one to set the bright cut setting in the GEQ and then tweak your models from there. I believe that and the fact the stock speaker sounds great like that will bring a lot more satisfied used to the GTX than there were with the GT if people figure this out. So anyone who gets one, please try this before u write the amp off if your issue with it is thin bright tone.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    ruger9 likes this.
  12. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

I had a very similar issue with the GDEC. There was a parameter at the end of every amp model, where I guess it was supposed to kind of model the cabinet you were using... it ranged from "light bright" to "full body" to "power stack" etc.... and without fail, most of the models were set with an EQ too bright.. ALL the Fender models for sure. I'm allergic to too much treble LOL. If you you were using a Fender Tweed amp model, it was set to "light bright" and it sounded like bacon frying.... re-set that parameter to "full body" and bam! New amp.

13. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

I had the katana100 mk1 and artist mk1 and prefered the 100 over the artist. I stupidy sold the 100 to fund the artist and ended up returning the artist withing 2 weeks. I got the 100 at a killer deal so i was suprised the artist to me didnt sound as good as the 100.

14. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I played thru a Mustang iii for ages at plenty of rehearsals and gigs. When i moved up to a GT100 I wasnt really convinced by it at first, so it didn't get much use. A couple of months ago i decided to see what it could do if i spent a little time on the settings. I now have a handful of really good channels and it really does work well. I'll never use all the onboard toys or even use it properly, but with a gain pedal for solo boost it works like any decent amp. Plus, as I'm not really a pedal guy, I've got more options than a non modelling amp.

I can see the new GTX being much the same. They reward the time invested but from then on you've got a good flexible amp.

15. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

someone post your clips or vids on your tones?

16. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

I think the moral of these threads and the polarity of Mustang vs Katana especially, is that most people would probably be happy with either, so long as they're prepared to spend time dialling them both in. I suspect a lot of people (me included, when I first got a Katana 50) just lost patience, or froze, when confronted with something that either intimidated them, or didn't give them instant gratification. From there, we allow our prejudices to dismiss the product, and justify our lack of objectivity, rather than actually owning up to the fact that we were the ones who were at fault.

Some would argue that tone is everything, but I'd say all tones being roughly equally achievable, that interface is as, or more, important... so then it boils down to how you want, or need (if you're a professional musician), to interact with your gear.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  17. David C

David C TDPRI Member

I happen to own the Fender Mustang GT 200 and the new Tone Master Twin Reverb. I like them both for different reasons. Stereo on the GT is one of them. Being able to control the volume without destroying tone via master volume controls (attenuator on the Tone Master) is another. The Tone Master is super sparkly, but the GT isn't all that far behind it.
    It seems to me the interest level in Digital amps may depend on the type of amp one has played over the years, the experience of the individual, professional or amateur status, budget, and type of music preferred. For my tastes, I love the tool box aspect of the Mustang GT/GTX series. I love the simplicity and great sound of my Tone Master Twin Reverb. Yes, the Tone Master is more expensive, but it isn't that much more expensive and it is a nice amplifier that should give me years of great use.
    I just think that lots of guys love the tube amps because they love the great sound tones of tubes that, in their opinions, are superior to the digital versions. I don't pretend to tell you my Mustang GT can equal a tube version of anything it simulates, however, I believe that gap is narrowed or possibly closed with the Tone Master series.
    Another thing I believe is that lots of guys like to talk shop and to get their fingers under the hood of the amp. You can do that with tube amps, but it isn't as easy when the amp has a printed circuit board and computer chips. So it may be that the hobby aspect of tweaking resistors, caps, and tubes, etc. is kinda ended with digital amps and that is what some people enjoy as their hobby.

18. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

I am looking for a cheap gt200 to buy for the hec of it in the next year or so cause of the stereo aspect. Effects sound so much better as a home player with a stereo amp like my id260 or cybertwin se or older vox ad120vtx

19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Once I paired my Marshall Code digital modeling head with the right cabinet, my tube amp has been collecting dust. Digital amps are like any other amp - they come alive with the right cab.

20. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

Why wont fender make a stereo head of this?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.