First Tube Amp Under $600?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by meirmusic, Aug 5, 2016.

1. meirmusic

meirmusic TDPRI Member

Recently started looking for my first tube amp under $600 that takes pedals well for home use. So far my options are:

Fender Tweed Blues Junior
    Bugera V22
    Egnater Tweaker
    Peavey Classic 30

I play mostly blues and blues rock but would like the option play classic rock lead too.

Thanks!

2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Depends upon the music that you like to play.

The Marshall DSL40 would probably work well if you like to play rock. Should be around $600.

Else think used amps, and your options grow quite a bit.

Good luck.

3. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

A good used Blues Deluxe or Princeton Reverb for cleans and taking pedals well.

4. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Takes pedals well? Dude, SF Bassman. How can you go wrong with a SF Bassman? You can't, thats how. Be ready to pounce, you'll get one within your budget.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Get a good closed 1x12 cab. I really like this one https://www.amazon.com/VHT-AV-SP-112VHT-Special-Speaker-Cabinet/dp/B003V5WI10

I think closed cabs are better for home because they seem to disperse and rattle things less.

For a head, ideally you'd be under 3 watts and really under 1. This might be a good possiblity https://www.amazon.com/Crate-Blackh...d=1470456229&sr=1-1&keywords=little+giant+amp

Realistically, this is even better for home and sounds great https://www.amazon.com/BIYANG-VT-1H-MICRO-COMPACT-POWERFUL/dp/B00RLH5ZGO/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1470456308&sr=1-1&keywords=wang's+vt-1h

The ones you are looking at are all much too loud to get tube breakup at home, if that's what you are after. If not, then grab a used Twin or something. It will sound more full than any you are looking at and take pedals great (IMO).

The Tweaker is great. I have one but at home I'm not really cracking its potential, TBH. I just use it there as I have it, but it shines live. It does have a nice MV though so it sounds good with the Drive up and the Master low. Of the ones you are looking at, I'd suggest the Tweaker 15h and the cab I noted above.

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

From your list I would choose the Blues Junior. I used one for medium sized gigs (mic'd) for about three years and I've used one at home with pedals for 10+ years. It's a fantastic amp for the styles that you mentioned.

Our other guitar player had a Tweaker....that's another winner.

I don't trust anything made by Behringer/Bugera. Be careful with that one.

WigWam likes this.
  7. NJ Tele

NJ Tele TDPRI Member

Look into the Ibanez TSA15 either the combo or the head and cab, can get these used for under $400. Great clean channel takes pedals really well.

elmoscafeo likes this.
  8. billiemorini

billiemorini Tele-Meister

I have a Fender Tweed Blues Junior and like it very much!

9. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a good friend with a Pro Junior that he swears by. He's in a gigging band and even brings it to rehearsals, where it keeps up with the rest of the band. For gigs he brings his big Traynor tube amp but swears by the Pro Jr for everything else. He claims all he need is that and his pedal board. Apparently Jeff Beck tours with a pair of them too.

Chicago Matt and Guy Lorshbaugh like this.
  10. Guy Lorshbaugh

Guy Lorshbaugh TDPRI Member

I've had great experiences with the Peavey Classic 30 and the Bugera V22. I have a Bugera V5 in the living room for leisurely playing. It's such a sexy little amp.
    For the money, I think any of those amps would perform admirably.

My first tube amp was a Traynor Mark III. Weighed 85-90 pounds and put any Twin Reverb I've ever played to shame. Loud and clean. I wish they were as cheap now as they were when I bought it......

awasson likes this.
  11. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I can only comment on the one I play and it's a Tweaker. It truly is as versatile a tube amp in that price range as any you're likely to find. If it has any drawback at all for some it be the lack of an onboard reverb. I run a Hardwire RV-7 w/Lexicon reverbs through the effects loop and it works perfectly. My other pedals are all run through the front end and I've yet to find one it rejects. It's also one tube amp I've found that also sounds good at home and studio volume.

Tonally the nice thing is that it takes you through basic Fender, VOX, and Marshall type tone stacks and emulates each very well with all analog circuits. It's not a digital amp in any way. The other features like vintage and modern settings, bright and normal, deep and tight, and hot and clean gain structure really help mold it's sound too. How Bruce Egnater managed to package all that into a $399 head I can't say but it's sold me. You can also pick up used heads for under $300.

I've had the amp for about 2 1/2 years and it's been trouble free as well. I'd suggest getting the head and a separate cab over the combo though. That way you retain more flexibility as far as matching it with various cabs if you like. It'll run anything from 4 ohm to 16 ohms so your choices there will always be wide open. I run mine with 2 1x12 cabs. It's light, it's dependable and it fits in a small tool bag I got from Harbor Freight when I take it out to gig or jam.

Hope this gives you some background from a very satisfied owner.

12. North East Al

North East Al Tele-Meister

If you play at home only, you need something with less wattage or an attenuator. I've had a few 15 watt heads and never been able to turn them up at home. Currently have two 5 watt heads down to .5 watt each and still get earache from the missus. I use Laney Lionheart and Panama conqueror.

13. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Bassbreaker 15. A little over $600, but has built in reverb and a gain knob that makes std overdrive pedals unnecessary. The Bassbreaker 007 is $450, but you need to add pedals for overdrive and reverb.

14. Kojer

Kojer Tele-Meister

I vote for the Marshall dsl 40 or fender blues junior. You can vary the flavor later with pedals if you choose to do so.

15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I +1 the Marshall DSL 40 for what you are asking.

Used one recently and was very impressed. All the clean to lead tones you could ever want.

16. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I seriously doubt Beck boxes are not filled with point to point hand wired goodness with NOS tubes et al, and not the PCB OEM innards with toss away bottles on the used ones we pick up for 300-350 space bucks.

FWIW, and IMO the Pro seems to have better response to my ears.

17. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

picked up an AC15c1 new b-stock for $425 the other year that would be my choice. 2 channels, reverb, trem, sounds good at living room volumes (hey, I live alone) and will handle fairly substantial jams & gigs. plus it's great-sounding amp. mops the floor with the BJr, and I own both of them.

(the BJr is smaller, lighter, handier, though.)

(but every time I take it on a gig, I wish I had brought the AC15)

Ex-riverman likes this.
  18. elmoscafeo

elmoscafeo Tele-Afflicted

Which Tweaker? I didn't bond with the 15 and liked the 40 better. In the end, I didn't get either one. If you want some gritty blues, the Classic 30 might suit you well. If you want something that cleans up real nice, the Bugera V22 is being reported as a very nice clean sounding amp, though I've never tried one. I am, however, GAS'ing for the Bugera V22HD myself.

With that in mind, and though I like to buy gear, my Black Face Bassman is my favorite amp. You can pick one up for a good price if you keep your eyes open on eBay, CL or Reverb. You'll need to have some cash in reserve because you'll want to take it to an amp tech to get some safety mods done and have it checked out. It might be a bit overwhelming at first, but I think the Bassman is a perfect match.

19. elmoscafeo

elmoscafeo Tele-Afflicted

I've got the Ibanez TSA15H also and completely forgot to mention it in my post. Sleeper amp. Great amp! I'll be plugging in to it today.

20. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What? Why? What?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.