First-timer 5E3 kit build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by DanTel, Jan 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DanTel

DanTel TDPRI Member

Hello all! I'm taking the plunge and building my first amp from a 5E3 kit bought from Dave at Boot Hill. I decided it's time to build the real thing after discovering a 5E3 emulation pedal a couple years ago, that has now become a part of my rig that's almost always "on" whenever I'm playing... I know, I know, not the same thing at all, that's why I'm really looking forward to playing through this amp when it's done. ;-)

I want to start with a thank you to all who have posted their build stories and photos, as I've read many and learned a lot, and especially to RobRob's awesome site!

I've got some photos of my board before soldering, and if anyone would be so kind as to take a look and provide any feedback or things I should address before I solder, I would certainly appreciate your thoughts.

There's a top view, and a front and back angle, but if you need to see anything up close, let me know. Thanks in advance, this is going to be fun!

-Dan

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Man, those Orange Drop coupling caps make life difficult for the other pieces on the board! I'm hardly a pro, but the only thing I see is that you might try to move that last cathode bypass cap away from the first filter cap.

Also, does the Boothill kit come with the lower value on the first two coupling caps (.022uF) instead of the schematic .1uF? Those first three from the right are the same size.

3. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Advantage to making your own boards
    DSCN1800.JPG

Nickadermis likes this.
  4. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Builders choice.....a conversation with dave and he will set you up with what you want

SacDAve likes this.
  5. DanTel

DanTel TDPRI Member

These are all .022uF. I didn't specify, but I did ask Dave about it after I opened the kit. He said he does all his kits this way, and his builds for customers, because the amp is too boomy and bass heavy with .1uF caps there.

Thanks, Professor. They're not quite so close in 3 dimensions as they appear in two, but I will try to get some more separation. And yes, the Orange Drops certainly do hog the real-estate!

6. DanTel

DanTel TDPRI Member

I see what you mean. Maybe after another build or two, I'll give that a shot, assuming I don't screw this one up!

7. hackworth1

hackworth1 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Looks good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.