First Timer. 212 Cab With 3 Different Impedances

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by buffalohunt, Mar 21, 2016.

1. buffalohunt

buffalohunt TDPRI Member

I made my first speaker/amp cabinet a while ago. It's 3/4" Birch plywood. I had an old Behringer 212 amp that I salvaged the speakers, handle and feet from. I did a Fender style tolex wrap and a blonde Fender style tolex. I added some white piping. In my opinion it looks kinda like a mix between a Fender and a Marshall cab. It's a backported design with two 12" Jensen speakers. The speakers were the only decent part of that old Behringer amp. I got a pre-wired jack plate off eBay that let me do different impedances depending on which head I use. I can run both speakers in Stereo 8ohms with two different amps going into it, or just run one speaker direct at 8ohms, in parallel at 4ohms, or series at 16ohms.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

nice work on the tolex!!!

3. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

Very nice! I put a switch on my 2 x 10 to A/B/Y the pair of speakers at 8 or 4 ohms.
    Very nice corners!

4. buffalohunt

buffalohunt TDPRI Member

Thanks!
    My first corner wasn't great, but I started on the bottom rear corners so it's somewhat hidden. I also painted the corners of the wood black in case the seems of the tolex opened up a bit to disguise it. Overall, I am very pleased with the results. I plan to eventually make a matching head with the leftover tolex and grill cloth I got.

PS: Like many things, getting tolex and grill cloth in Canada is crazy and expensive.

5. buffalohunt

buffalohunt TDPRI Member

Since I took the speakers out of an old amp, I didn't have any choice in their impedance value. They are both 8ohms. So it was either wire them parallel and have 4ohms, or series and 16ohms. So I was originally going to wire in a toggle switch to achieve the different options, but stumbled upon this prewired kit. Works great. Turns out to be kind cool having the option to run two amps into it in Stereo with one speaker each.

The speakers are Jensen JCH 12/70s. I couldn't find them listed on the Jensen website, but with a little research, I found that they are the same as MOD 12/70s. Maybe just an old model name.

https://www.jensentone.com/mod_series/mod_12_70

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.