1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First time wiring

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by ChrisVenables, Jul 12, 2012.

1. ChrisVenables

ChrisVenables TDPRI Member

Hello there, just finished my first attempt at re-wiring my tele with a 5 way switch and a SD Lil'59. It didin't go well at all, no sound what so ever apart from hum, here it is, i can't see anything wrong with it, i've followed the diagram and advice from this post, http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-technical/336637-5-way-switch-tapped-tele.html, diagram - http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=tapped_tele_5way

Here is what my wiring looks like;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can anybody see where i'm going wrong? try and keep the jargon to a minimum please!

2. LocustPlague

LocustPlague Tele-Holic

Two things I see right off the bat.

1) Those solder joints do not look well formed at all. The joint on the third terminal from the left of that switch looks like it isn't even soldered.
    2) I am about 99% certain that you have not used that switch correctly. The import switches lugs are 1-2-3-C-C-1-2-3, but I think you assumed they were just a flattened version of the standard 2-row switches.

http://www.guitarnucleus.com/wiring.html#switchwire

This link shows you the conversion chart to go from the 2-row to 1-row switch.

To follow the wiring diagram you referenced, I think you want (I have never wired up using the import-style switch):
    1-neck pickup (white)
    2-bridge pickup (white)
    3-bridge pickup (red)
    c-connect to the pot
    c

The FIRST thing I would do, though, is to put the guitar aside and learn to make decent solder joints. My guess is that you aren't using enough heat. Let the iron get really hot. The joint should take only half a second or so when soldering to the lugs. The backs of the pots might take more, but not more than 3-5 seconds.

Your pots might already be fried from excess heat.

3. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

Your output jack appears to be wired backwards.

[​IMG]

4. LocustPlague

LocustPlague Tele-Holic

I missed that.

Although, it will work with the output jack wired backwards, it will just be noisier.

5. ChrisVenables

ChrisVenables TDPRI Member

YOU GUYS. Amazing, wish i'd had your advice a week ago.
    I took a gamble with the jack as i replaced the old wires without noting what came from where. cheers!
    Cheers for the advice, i think my problem is my iron, it's really cheap and bad, so bad that to melt any solder i have to use it half way down, the tip is useless.

I'll buy a better iron tomorrow, try out what you said, and get back to you guys if i need more help :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.