1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First Time User - WGS ET90 or Cannabis Rex in Blues Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by musicman587, Aug 4, 2015.

1. musicman587

musicman587 TDPRI Member

Hey everybody... I'm new on here, but thought I'd throw this question out anyway. I currently have a Cannabis Rex in my cart for Amazon that I planned on purchasing tomorrow, but am having second thoughts about WGS ET 90. Can you guys please point me in the right direction? I play my BDRI with treble at 2, mid at 10 (out of 12) and bass at 3 currently. I play using clean channel nearly all the time and stack subtle overdrives and sometimes delay and tremolo. Overdrive pedals are as follows: Barber B Cool Custom, Soul Food, VS Open Road, OCD, EH Glove...too many, I know. I want a smoother, creamier sound, with less piercing highs (since my treble to me is nearly unusable right now) that will also handle some overdrive. Thanks for any help!

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Smooth and creamy ET65 or ET90 for more headroom

3. musicman587

musicman587 TDPRI Member

Makes sense, more headroom for sure with the ET90 one would think. Thanks for the opinion!

4. mcabe

mcabe Tele-Meister

C Rex is great at taming piercing highs. Pretty efficient as well. I have no experience with it in a BDRI though.

5. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

The two are voiced differently. The CRex is an American voiced speaker whereas the ET90 is a British voiced speaker. The CRex sensitivity is also 3db greater so it will produce more volume.

One of the best things about the CRex is that it's designed to control those piercing highs. Many British voiced speakers actually enhance them. I swapped out the stock speaker in my Blues Cube which was a Celestion Greenback clone for a CRex and the difference was very noticeable. The tone is much smoother and less shrill now.

7. musicman587

musicman587 TDPRI Member

Awesome. Well, CRex's are on sale from partsexpress through amazon for $75 with free shipping through the end of the month.

That G12c/s is an interesting choice as well. Sounds good on the clip on wgs website.

I just know that keeping the treble on like "2" to compensate for the shrill of that eminence speaker it came with is stupid. :p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.