first time tung oil user

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by fatcat, Feb 22, 2012.

1. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

FUN! I LIKE IT, IT'S PUURRDY. :D Using it on a pine 1x12 cabinet with dovetail joints. Got it cheap, but it looks good.

I have to say though, I left the cabinet in my bedroom, unfinished, for a while waiting for some warm days. Result; the wood completly drank up the first coat.

Question, probably a dumb one. How many coats should I put on the inside of the cabinet? I had planned on putting one, or two, just to seal the surface.

2. skimballc

skimballc TDPRI Member

You could use at least a couple more. I stop at no fewer than 5. That pine is some thirsty stuff, now that it's sealed you'll be to build the finish up.

3. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

5 coats on the inside of the cabinet?

I was going to use at least that many or more on the outside. The guy that built it had one that was finished with 10 coats, buffed with steel wool between each coat; That thing was beautiful.

4. skimballc

skimballc TDPRI Member

Since you're the one looking at the inside of it, stop when you are happy with it. Amount of coats also varies by how thick you lay it on

5. GroovePuppy

GroovePuppy TDPRI Member

+1 on this. I think a couple of coats is enough to seal it against damage but more with polishing will gloss up the finish. I believe I stopped after 3 or 4 on the project below but I wanted a flattish finish.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.