1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First Time Tele Build - Hilarity Ensues?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by collectiveoasis, Nov 30, 2011.

1. collectiveoasis

collectiveoasis Tele-Meister

So until I get a bit more Christmas shopping done, I'm kind of at a stand still for the time being.

image-410713272.jpg

image-2401838254.jpg

The top and back are in fantastic shape and are ready for cavity routing, the sides.... Not so much, need to work on those a bit, I can't wait to do so!

2. collectiveoasis

Since the holidays are mostly over, I can get back to building in the next couple weeks here.. Just wanted to update everyone with my new Christmas toys!

First my new Ryobi planer, once I get this setup, I'll be able to crank out some nice and even boards
    image-2903432120.jpg

Next is my sweet ass router table I first saw on Colt's new toys thread. Incredible price for such a sturdy, well built, table!

image-1755854919.jpg

My father in law who used to own his own auto shop has been intrigued since I started showing interest in guitar building, so they bought me an entire spray rig!

image-3034570053.jpg

I'm not really a materialistic person, but I feel an overwhelming feeling of joy to see that my wife(planer), parents(router table) and in laws(paint rig) are so behind me getting into this hobby! I can't wait to get back to it and turn out my very first custom guitar!

3. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Cool to have the support, Santa was generous it too seems... :lol:

Ciao

4. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Too right Davecam, I remember one of my instructors at Tech many years ago saying "the man who never made a mistake never made anything". I try to bring that quietly to mind every time I make a stuff-up (almost daily)!

5. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Nice , no stopping you now.

6. collectiveoasis

I'm out of work for a few days so I figured now was as good a time as any to make some progress on the first build.

I spent most of the day getting the new router table set up and my work area a little cleaner as I had left a mess when I added a bunch of new Christmas presents to the shop. I am to the stage where I want to start routing pickup cavities, etc but I wanted to get some ideas before hand. This thought hit me right after I started drilling with the forstner.

image-2314859697.jpg

I didn't go deep, because I wasn't quite sure if I should have the template on while doing so, or even how deep to go. Can anyone help me out in this regard? How does everyone the route the body? What type of bit should I use? I'm lost right now and I don't really have a computer to sit down and research. It's also hard to focus when I have this view from the shop! Any tips are appreciated!

image-3396756531.jpg

7. collectiveoasis

I guess today was just a day for experimenting and shop preparation. I am a stranger to certain tools, so I figured I'd give the new router table a spin after setup and see how the round over bits work. Like I said, I'm inexperienced!

image-3484844536.jpg

So I didn't really get anything done, with each day I become less intimidated by this and I will keep at it until something playable comes out, then on to the next one!

8. guitarguytim

guitarguytim Tele-Meister

Where did you get the blueprints you used to create your template? I'm looking into building a '72ish tele as well. I'm just in the planning stages right now.

9. collectiveoasis

10. guitarguytim

guitarguytim Tele-Meister

Awesome thanks! Looks like I'll be building a template this weekend :D

11. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Did you get an answer concerning the thin body?

12. collectiveoasis

No, I didn't. I was actually working with this body and it turns out it was warped, this being my first time building, I'm using it as my test bunny. Right now I'm currently in the phase of routing my poplar body, and was looking for someone to answer my questions about depth of routes and how people normally go about it. Any help is appreciated!

13. jstream

jstream Tele-Holic

I'm reading .75" for the pickups (t downs), .85" (ron kirn), and 1.5" for the control cavity.

Haven't totally successfully routed them yet... Plan to do it saturday, and will post pics on my thread.

14. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

1 1/4" is a perfectly workable body, you just can't use a standard switch. Stew Mac carries a mini-toggle on/on/on/ double pole switch that's perfect ;)

15. Hack On Wheels

Hack On Wheels Tele-Meister

I'm making mine 1.5" and I *should* be able to get a 4-way switch in it. If memory serves, my route for the controls is 1-1/4" or slightly shy of that, but I did an extra bit of routing and chiseling (carefully) right under where the switch sits. So, you may still be able to use a regular switch!

16. collectiveoasis

The body I'm actually working with is the standard 1-3/4 thick, I won't have any problems getting the proper depth out of it, just curious what works best for everyone.

17. collectiveoasis

Can anyone tell me the proper pickup/control cavity depth for the Tele custom? I'm getting mixed signals but my body is the standard 1.75 inches. I'm anxious to get this thing routed and this is really the last bit of knowledge I need before I let the router loose!

18. collectiveoasis

Anyone..? Buelller, Bueller?

:EDIT:

NEVERMIND! Found the answer above. Apparently it was answered then buried! I guess that's just the price I pay for using the iPhone app at work!

For anyone curious, it was:

TDowns: .75
    Ron Kirn: .85
    Control: 1.50

Thanks jstream!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  19. metalmayhem

metalmayhem Tele-Meister

How's your build coming along. I'm very jealous at the new toys you got for Christmas. I would love that Ryobi planer. I priced one today at Bunnings, almost $400 Aus. To rich for me at the moment.

20. collectiveoasis

I've only been able to do some light work over the past few weeks... I think at this point I'm still making sure the sides are flat with the sanding block and I've started drilling the cavities with a forstner bit. I hope to get back to it, but in the mean time I finished a parts guitar I've had for a while, so that's cool!

image-1252728003.jpg

image-2386148741.jpg

image-1533807135.jpg

I used a golden gate neck so I still have to shape the headstock and then clear coat it but I'll have to do that in the spring or summer. That's what sucks about Chicago, wet winters!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.