First time playing in front of people

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
About 6 hours to go. Aaaargh!

Remember: When you get up there, everyone assumes you know what you are doing. You always start out with that advantage.

Oh, and don't use that trick of "picture everyone in their underwear". I tried that once. A lot of women in the audience... I got very distracted. Picture them as hobbits instead, much safer.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
It's going to be a great evening for both you and your daughter. Remember how lucky you are to have her, to be able to be there for her on her big day and that you are able to honor the day with a song. It's all about her. Not a thing to worry about.

Linkslover

Tele-Meister
Played in front of people for the first time about 4 years ago at age 65 at an open mic.

I think I hit the head about 4 times before it was my turn to get up and do my 3 songs.

Lots of good advice already posted, but I'll add my 2 cents.

Unless you're really accomplished, I'd skip the solo leads and just do a chord verse. It's hard to make a lead sound good when there's no rhythm player backing you up.

Second, don't worry about making any mistakes. Just keep on going. You'll be the only person in the room who knows you screwed up.

Third, sing to your daughter. She's what it's all about. Everyone will be really touched by the emotion of what you're doing and love you for it.

My first time I played songs I've played literally a thousand times, I still made mistakes and the crowd loved it.

CONGRATULATIONS.

LL

Last edited:

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
First, you may want to stay away from "Ring of Fire." Not the right message for a wedding ...

Second, wear an adult diaper. And have a wastebasket nearby in case your nerves put your digestion in reverse.

Third, imagine all the members of the audience in their underwear. Try not to get aroused and lose your focus.

Kidding aside, you'll do great. Just close your eyes for a moment and visualize the happiest moments with your daughter growing up and you'll do the Dad thing and rise to the occasion. And no matter what happens, this will be a happy memory she and you will share forever. Enjoy!
"Folsom Prison" might be right for a wedding...

Bluego1

Friend of Leo's
Fugue state. I barely remember it. I know I screwed up a couple notes on the intro and an early chord change. I think the solo went well. Wife says not my best, but I gave ‘em what they came for. Daughter said when she and the groom walked around to all the tables to greet people shortly afterward, pretty much everyone (including the tough guys) said they were crying. Here’s what I sang:

guitar intro

Well today, dear, you married Alex

He gets to hold you in his arms

But don’t forget me

I’m still your daddy

And I love you more than you know

You are my sunshine

My only sunshine

You make me happy, when skies are grey

You’ll never know dear

How much I love you

Please don’t take

My sunshine away

(Instrumental break)

You’ve wanted this day

For a lifetime

To have and hold your heart’s desire

So when he called me

To ask for your hand

My tears welled up, and I cried

You are my sunshine

My only sunshine

It’s bittersweet, yes

But he’s a good man

So I gave my Sunshine away

Anyhoo, onward. Ready to do it again.
Thanks for all the help.
Carry on.

MarshallHeart

Tele-Afflicted
I’m biting the bullet and playing (and singing) at my daughter’s wedding next month. It’s a surprise. She’s never seen me play. In fact, nobody has seen me play. Now, about 200 people will. Nervous is an understatement; I still can’t coordinate singing and playing, but I’m getting close. Got my new acoustic singer amp:

Gonna have my son bring out the amp and mic and guitar during my speech and then I’m going Johnny Cash with a couple of his songs I used to sing to my daughter growing up. Wish me luck:).
What was your first time playing in front of people? Open mic?
god, sounds like a nightmare to me...good luck!

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Fugue state. I barely remember it. I know I screwed up a couple notes on the intro and an early chord change. I think the solo went well. Wife says not my best, but I gave ‘em what they came for. Daughter said when she and the groom walked around to all the tables to greet people shortly afterward, pretty much everyone (including the tough guys) said they were crying. Here’s what I sang:

guitar intro

Well today, dear, you married Alex

He gets to hold you in his arms

But don’t forget me

I’m still your daddy

And I love you more than you know

You are my sunshine

My only sunshine

You’ll never know dear

How much I love you

Please don’t take

My sunshine away

(Instrumental break)

You’ve wanted this day

For a lifetime

To have and hold your heart’s desire

So when he called me

To ask for your hand

My tears welled up, and I cried

You are my sunshine

My only sunshine

It’s bittersweet, yes

But he’s a good man

So I gave my Sunshine away

Anyhoo, onward. Ready to do it again.
Thanks for all the help.
Carry on.

Thanks for posting this. Now I can see why you were agonizing over it.

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
Make sure you have both the chords and lyrics down cold (like you can play them in your sleep or if someone woke you up in the middle of the night and asked you to play them the songs) and you should be fine.
Good luck!

Turtleneck

Tele-Holic
Sing from your heart because YOU love the music and you love your daughter.

Don't worry what others think.

Spooky88

Tele-Meister
If you have time, do a couple karaoke performances and/or open mics. I know I was nervous as hell before my first “live” show. And I was just the bass player! Haha! A shot of whiskey helps as well. Takes the edge off. Good luck!

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
I played Stairway to Heaven with my then girlfriend in 8th grade to the entire school during an assembly. It was far from perfect, but I/we got through it ok. Fortunately, I could read music pretty well by then and the book I was using was pretty close to reality, so at least the chords/lines were recognizable.

Ah, don't sweat it. You'll do fine. Everyone else will be upbeat -- do your best and have fun. I hear you'll get extra points if you do the palm-muting thing on the Tele ala Luther Perkins.

Good luck!
I'm surprised someone didn't punch you in the stomach at recess.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
I actually sang at my other daughter’s wedding (in Spanish even) but hadn’t even taken up guitar yet. It’s the guitar (actually coordinating the playing with singing) that has me scared.
I wouldn't worry much. Your family and friends will be supportive. Of course it is better said than done, but work on the tunes once or twice a day, and you will notice improvements with each days.

edit the first time i played live was in my parents' bar. so it felt like home.

Last edited: