1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First Time Inlay ideas

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ripthorn, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

I recently got the dremel precision router base from Stewmac to do my first inlay job. I thought I knew what I wanted to do, but I am afraid it is a little too complex for my first custom inlay job. The guitar I am doing right now is a multiscale with maple fretboard, IRW binding, deep blue metallic body, and chrome and cream hardware. I am wanting to do something simple to cut my teeth on, but I still want it to look good. The issue I am having in coming up withe something is something that works well with the non-parallel frets of a multiscale. Any ideas out there? Seems most multiscales have minimal inlay.

2. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

You could probably put a simple swoosh or something at the 12th. That should look good. Are you just planning to inlay the fretboard, or body, headstock, etc.?

3. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

Planning to inlay the fretboard, looking for 12th fret ideas, mainly

4. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

I think most of the 'vine' fingerboard inlays are somewhat adjustable as they are made from lots of pieces. They usually have a flower or something at each important fret (3,5,7,9,12, etc.) and the vine swaying back & forth through the middle. I bet you could make that work with a multi-scale

5. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

Unfortunately, I think the vines will be too intricate for my first go.

6. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Hey - I'm just trying to get you to try it first :D

I really want to do some inlay, but I need to see a few more threads first.

Check out Flat 5's challenge build. He did a really nice logo and shows how he went about it.

7. bubba105

bubba105 Tele-Meister

You might be able to do something with the infinity symbol ∞. There are some nice ones on the net which I would have brought up for you but I suck on the computer & couldn't get any to cooperate. Seems like it might fit sizewise & you could skew it to follow the frets if you wish.
    That sounds like a nice neck, might I suggest practicing elsewhere until proficiency becomes your co-pilot. Oh, and, post lots of photos.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.