First time in Nashville

dburns

Friend of Leo's
…and I gotta say it lived up to the hype. My wife and I had a great time. We were only there for 3 full days and weren’t able to delve deep, kept it pretty touristy and mainly hung out on Broadway, but that in itself was a great time. Ventured off to The Gulch and the Belmont area, checked out The Gibson Garage and Gruhns Guitars. Food was great, as was the music and the overall vibe. We both are looking forward to going back in the near future.

Attachments

• 88D6587E-DBA6-446E-A971-0EE0B2B7CB44.jpeg
    88D6587E-DBA6-446E-A971-0EE0B2B7CB44.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 1426ED89-A206-4EAC-9B1E-25F003CEA7E7.jpeg
    1426ED89-A206-4EAC-9B1E-25F003CEA7E7.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 72
  • D9BE93F6-8D3D-4712-85C6-AFC689A66211.jpeg
    D9BE93F6-8D3D-4712-85C6-AFC689A66211.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 67
  • F9D807AF-0C0A-487E-A326-4B9486E8FB1F.jpeg
    F9D807AF-0C0A-487E-A326-4B9486E8FB1F.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 72

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
Did you check out the Grand ol Opry? I wasn't that excited when I went, but my wife wanted to see it. So we took a tour and then decided to buy tickets when we found out that Old Crow Medicine Show was performing that night! And I have to say I was completely blown away. It was a blast and would definitely recommend it to anyone going.

We're going back in August to see Red Hot Chili Peppers play and have a little family vacation. RHCP is on my bucket list for concerts.

I didn't check out Gruhn when I was there but we went to Carter Vintage and that was incredible as well.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I’ve been twice, and I loved it both times.
Great weather, mostly, lush greenery, great restaurants, incredible musicians, great guitar shops.
Heaven!
I attended the 2009 summer NAMM show, and did two gigs in 2017.
Glad you’re diggin’ it, too!

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
…and I gotta say it lived up to the hype. My wife and I had a great time. We were only there for 3 full days and weren’t able to delve deep, kept it pretty touristy and mainly hung out on Broadway, but that in itself was a great time. Ventured off to The Gulch and the Belmont area, checked out The Gibson Garage and Gruhns Guitars. Food was great, as was the music and the overall vibe. We both are looking forward to going back in the near future.
Been once and, yep! sure was everything I expected and then some.

old soul

Tele-Holic
It can be a fun town! I went once with my brother on a road trip in the early 90s and had a good time, and again in the mid 10s with wife and 2 kids and it was not as much fun, but said we'd go back without kids. Booked a room on 'music row' but realized quickly it was kinda no good...I didn't see anything music related. Walked around the tourist spots and checked out gruhn(was hoping to see some fancy pickin' but didn't happen).
Actually went 3 times, once as a youth in 81ish and went to the Opry and dollywood. I often wonder if the time I went to the opry, I saw my guitar teacher playing. He was there for 10 years or so, and it was in that span of years he was working there. I'll never know. (Started taking lessons from him in 15, and brought him back some souvenirs from my last visit)

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
It can be a fun town! I went once with my brother on a road trip in the early 90s and had a good time, and again in the mid 10s with wife and 2 kids and it was not as much fun, but said we'd go back without kids. Booked a room on 'music row' but realized quickly it was kinda no good...I didn't see anything music related.
I was there in the late 80’s and stopped at the Bluebird on Music Row. Saw Jim Messina sit in with the two ladies who wrote I’ll Still Be Loving You for Restless Heart. Is the Bluebird closed?

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
Did you check out the Grand ol Opry? I wasn't that excited when I went, but my wife wanted to see it. So we took a tour and then decided to buy tickets when we found out that Old Crow Medicine Show was performing that night! And I have to say I was completely blown away. It was a blast and would definitely recommend it to anyone going.

We're going back in August to see Red Hot Chili Peppers play and have a little family vacation. RHCP is on my bucket list for concerts.

I didn't check out Gruhn when I was there but we went to Carter Vintage and that was incredible as well.
I enjoy Carter way more than Gruhn. Although they were still on Broadway, last time I visited. They were much more restrictive in seeing the cool old instruments than Carter is.

Nashville certainly has gotten way busier in the last 5 years or so. It was always fun and busy, but so much more now.

scrapyardblue

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Hate to be the downer, but I spent the night on the East side last week en route to Carolina and was very disappointed that old standby John A's went all modern. I remember not all that long ago when it was a crowded old-time dinner spot, with late afternoon music playing some vintage country. Not my style, but great sounding.

No more. Looks like they've ripped out the old bar, moved sixty years of old celebrity pictures to a confined wall, covering the whole room in a dreary gray paint. To add insult, they had a guy with an acoustic playing Margheritaville in the front screened bar. Yuck

clayville

Tele-Meister
I still dream about the 1921 Gibson Style O that I almost bought at Gruhn's twenty-five years ago in a Big Bill Broonzy-inspired moment of lust. I think they wanted $2600 which was a big stretch for me then. They're around three times that now. Mmmm.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
We're going for the first time in June - first "real vacation" since the plague.
We already have tickets for Opry and dinner on riverboat.
Questions:
What "attractions" did you enjoy most? You can't swing a dead cat without hitting three museums it seems like.
Which honky tonks did you like? I gotta go to Robert's and hear them do "Ghost Riders." But other than that???
Where did you find good eats?
Thanks!

dburns

Friend of Leo's
@happy Enchildad....We didn't really do any attractions. We did go to a Predators game, which was fun, but I believe their season is over now.

As far as Honky Tonks, we were in and out of most of them and they were all fun. From the older school places like Tootsies, Nudies, etc to the newer places like Miranda Lamberts and Kid Rock's. They were all good to me. Well, Aldean's and Luke Bryant's were kinda lame, but that's to be expected. Pretty much alot of the same bands and singers, just depends on what you like. And there's usually 2/3 floors of live music at each place so it's easy to find a good time.

As far as food, we had a great breakfast at Milk and Honey in the Gulch, and some great barbecue at a place in the Belmont area that I'm drawing a blank on the name of now. Even Miranda Lambert's Tex-Mex themed place had pretty good food. I'm sure other people and/or locals will be able to give you "better" and less touristy destinations, but we don't try to be that cool ;) We just bar hopped up and down Broadway for a few days and had a blast. Will expand my horizons next time.

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
I enjoy Carter way more than Gruhn. Although they were still on Broadway, last time I visited. They were much more restrictive in seeing the cool old instruments than Carter is.

Nashville certainly has gotten way busier in the last 5 years or so. It was always fun and busy, but so much more now.
I agree 100%! The atmosphere at Carter's is like if your good friend owned a very cool guitar store. The atmosphere at Gruhn's is like a funeral parlor.

dburns

Friend of Leo's
I agree 100%! The atmosphere at Carter's is like if your good friend owned a very cool guitar store. The atmosphere at Gruhn's is like a funeral parlor.
Agree. If I knew this I would’ve went to Carter’s instead. We just happened to be in the general area of Gruhns so we checked it out. Obviously lots of cool stuff, but not too accessible for the average guy imo, and not a welcoming environment. I dug the Gibson Garage much better and I’m far from a Gibson guy.