1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

First Time Disk Golfer...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Preacher, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

my observations...

1) you think pedals for guitarists are overstated. These dudes all had like 25 disks which each one did something different. However it seemed like most of their shots were kind of all the same.
    2) poison ivy seems to be everywhere now.
    3) you would think the parks and rec department would mow the grass occasionally. But they may be planning on bailing it later for hay.
    4) you need some serious torque to throw a disk far.
    5) I did not have any torque
    6) Disk golf is a like like real golf, young guys throw it miles but can't putt. Old guys get there in two but putt in one.
    7) they don't have carts for you to ride in, you have to walk.
    8) my cholesterol levels thank my for an afternoon trek around the pitch.

2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

this $25 set from Wal Mart will get you started. But you will soon find out you brought a pen knife to a sword fight!

Toto'sDad and dented like this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

When I played I had three Frisbees: a 200g for the long throws on windy days, a 180 for more accuracy and distance (flight time) on calmer days, and a 160 for the shorter throws that required accuracy. Most of my pals had more, but they didn't do any better than I was doing.

Learn your right and left hooks...it saves many 'strokes'.

It is HUGE fun!

dented likes this.
  4. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

This. Almost exactly what I have and learn your hooks. I agree! Although I haven't played in a while SoCal has some great courses. My discs are in a shoulder bag in the garage.

Peegoo likes this.
  5. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Competition level course built at our local park. I've gone twice. That's enough for me. Not feeling the love on disc golf at all. Not even a little bit. Of course, it doesn't help that this region is heavily wooded and overrun with ticks. Spent way more time looking for lost discs than actually playing. Oh yeah, and my son nailed me on the back of my ankle with a driver. Just not a good sport for the frontal lobe deficient like yours truly.

I'll just stay on the trails with my mountain bike, thank you very much.

6. Peegoo

If you play in a real windy area, you can greatly increase accuracy for short shots by nesting two Frisbees together.

Obviously you have to have two of different diameters that allow the smaller one to pop into the bottom of the larger one. These do not have much flight time because they're heavy--but for short, direct shots in high winds, they're like a little bulldozer that laughs at the gusts and goes like an arrow in a straight line.

7. Rattfink

Rattfink Tele-Meister

Lots of fun and a cheap sport to get out and some exercise. Played many years in DFW (many years ago) and yes, I ran into poison ivy about 1-2 times a year. Now I get to practice my drives in a pasture and my lab brings them back.

Have fun!

8. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

PA180095.JPG

9. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Now I need to get a Retriever!!! Especially for the Ivy infested areas!!

Rattfink likes this.
  10. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

And since no one asked how I played.

My 21 YO son invited me to play. He has been playing for a while now and has the backpack bag full of disks.

Hole number one: Par 3 but I can't remember the distance. We started out on the front nine playing from the "shorts" and then on the back nine played from the "longs".

I throw my first disk about halfway to the basket. Everyone else is much further down but a couple are in the deep trees. Second disks gets up close leaving me a six footer for par. Clank, Clank, Clank, par putt goes in.
    My son is one of the ones who hit the woods. He has a nasty lie and is trying to fend off a pretty feisty fir tree to get a shot. He throws and it ends up curving the wrong way but he has a twenty footer for par. He throws high and ends up in the back of the green against the trees. He makes his eight footer for Bogey Four.

Guy who is keeping score asks for the scores and I happily cried out THREE! Then I got to feeling bad. What if old Dad comes out his first time and whips his 21 YO son with only three disks?
    Well that did not happen, I was 21 over. Man the "longs" kicked my behind!

11. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Been playing since the snow melted (some people play right thru winter) and heading out with the family today, woohoo! Love it. Good exercise, quiet out in the woods, low low price .... addictive as hell!

12. Peegoo

13. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Keep on practicing, and watch vids of the top tour players on youtube for technique ... I shot as bad as a +23 last fall; last week I got a +4 on a tough hilly wooded course, psyched!!!

14. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

I've been playing since I was a teenager and have severe Disc Acquisition Syndrome, which drives my wife crazy: "Not ANOTHER disc?!?" It's a great sport and very addictive.

I have a basket set up in the basement to practice putting - right beside the Marshall half-stack.

Hey_you likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

One of our local golf courses changed hands after a fifty year run by the original owners. The new owner is a lady golf professional, and brought with her many very good ideas to improve the golf course. One of those ideas was to set the course up for disc golf, and hold tournaments on the course. They work it out where the regular golfers aren't displaced very often, and everyone seems to get along. The added revenue seems to have been pumped right back into the course, because its in the best condition it has ever been since I started going there in the early 80s.

Preacher likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.